Is there anybody who actually DOESN'T like...

edited February 2012 in Actors Posts: 132
Sean Connery's portrayal of Bond?

Comments

No.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    In GF yes.
  • I'm not saying I don't like his portrayal of Bond, but I do have one issue with him. And that's, in my opinion, that he's the least attractive of the Bond actors. Don't get me wrong, his Bond movies are fantastic, but I just can't see why all those women throw themselves at him.

When I first watched Thunderball, when he was in the wetsuit- I thought he was wearing long pants. He wasn't. It was his leg hair.
    I don't like Connery's portrayal of Bond in YOLT and DAF
    If you don't like Connery you don't like Bond. SIMPLES
    No, and for the record, he's brilliant in GF
  • jackdagger wrote:
    I'm not saying I don't like his portrayal of Bond, but I do have one issue with him. And that's, in my opinion, that he's the least attractive of the Bond actors. Don't get me wrong, his Bond movies are fantastic, but I just can't see why all those women throw themselves at him.

When I first watched Thunderball, when he was in the wetsuit- I thought he was wearing long pants. He wasn't. It was his leg hair.

That's pretty funny about the leg hair.
    My girlfriend agrees with you actually! She says Connery is 'just OK' (and she hasn't even seen DAF yet!). She feels the same about Moore also-- but still likes all of their movies and finds them charming in their own ways. She told me that Dalton is the hottest! ;D

That said, I'd still kill to look like 'young' Connery
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 132
    jackdagger wrote:
    ...in my opinion, that he's the least attractive of the Bond actors. Don't get me wrong, his Bond movies are fantastic, but I just can't see why all those women throw themselves at him.

Whoa...that's the first time I've ever heard that said about Sean.

I agree about his performance in DAF...never saw anything wrong with YOLT myself, though I know a lot of people who are critical of it.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    On the whole, I'd say no. As for a specific film I think so. I'm not that keen on him in You Only Live Twice.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    No, and for the record, he's brilliant in GF
    Agreed wholeheartedly. Goldfinger is bashed so much on these forums and it just happens to be one of my favorite films ever! :D
  • This could be a good thread!!
    Connery is Bond God. End of. Even in DAF.....even in NSNA....
    I can`t believe some people don`t like Goldfinger! It isn`t a favourite of mine either, but in no way do I dislike it.
  • Goldfinger is a classic. I find it funny that most people like it, and that in a public poll it would come out near the top (and has been no 1 in alot of polls for best bond film), and the franchise might not have even been successful like it is now if it wasn't for the formula GF created, but still it gets bashed on these forums even by people who worship connery.

Anyway I don't think there are really any who don't like connery. IMO he's not the best (dalton has earned that honour), but he's a close second along with brosnan. TB and NSNA (they're basically the same) are his best films.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Shoreline wrote:
    This could be a good thread!!
    Connery is Bond God. End of. Even in DAF.....even in NSNA....
    I can`t believe some people don`t like Goldfinger! It isn`t a favourite of mine either, but in no way do I dislike it.

I'm not a fan of Connery Bond in DAF, he's not playing James Bond. He's playing a smug Sean Connery with a few witty lines. The first really below par Bond film.
    YOLT isn't much better, but at least he still retains his character portrayal of Bond.

Connery was great as Bond in the first 4 films. By YOLT his heart wasn't in it anymore, and it showed. His performance in the final 3 films are very poor. It's like he is sleepwalking through them, and not even caring to tone down his Scottish accent anymore.
    Goldfinger's great. End of. Stop criticising it. Fleming may not have liked it but who the hell cares. Not me.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It is a mathematical, astronomical, theoretical, biological, historical, botanical, (and any other ical) improbability that anyone could dislike Sean Connery's Bond portrayal...except in YOLT and DAF... The first 4 Bond films set the standard and made the classic Bond blueprint that all Bond actors should follow. We need more Bond actors in the Sean Connery style.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Goldfinger's great. End of. Stop criticising it. Fleming may not have liked it but who the hell cares. Not me.

Wasn't Ian dead by the time GF released??
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Yes he was.

There are some people who arent huge fans of Connery. Barryt007 for instance.

...and this bloke.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I think Connery was ok overall. I find he was good in DN, FRWL & YOLT, bored in GF & TB and just.... comatose in DAF*.

* Not to mention the obvious wig that refuses to remain the same colour throughout the film, and his all to noticeable weight gain.
  • Too bad he wasn't playing Bond when he looked like this (whenever it was):

49dd4-universe_3rd.jpg

It's sad looking at that pic and then DAF and realizing they're the same person....
    Makes me want to go to the gym every day so it doesn't happen to me, lol
    He is the UberBond.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I don't believe what I'm reading! This thread is an outrage, a cardinal sin. Connery IS Bond. Connery IS the benchmark, the yard stick. Sure, YOLT, DAF and NSNA leave a lot to be desired but they're by no means terrible and any one of his first 4 Bond movies more than compensates for any of his shortcomings. As for his looks, he was a real, classically handsome man, a man's man who had what his 5 successors don't and that's raw sex appeal.
    Connery set the standard. But I recall about twenty years ago, I had friends who actually said they preferred Moore. they were about 10-15 years younger than me and thus grew up with Roger's Bond.
    I agree with most on this chat regarding his performance in YOLT. In DAF he seemed to be having a good time but it was obvious that he had outgrown the role.
    Meh, Connery's all right. He's in my 'Top Six' list of best Bond actors. ;)
  • Haha, I love how strong the reactions are to this thread...You find those that love or hate George, Roger, Tim, Pierce & Daniel but never in my life have I come across a Sean hater :-)
    I think, he created the character very well and set the tone. Of course, he is a good looking man, but I think, his physique compared to the toned bodies of many action heros of nowadays, he was really just average. He was broad, yes, but just look at the arms. Not very muscular. So I get the love he gets for being THE Bond, but not, that people still refer to his physique as something special. Its not IMO.

Just looks:
    1 - Connery
    2 - Moore
    3 - Brosnan
    4 - Lazenby
    5 - Dalton

I left out DC, as he is obviously my No 1, but wanted to just judge the other 5.

Nope! He was a great Bond! The blue print! The original! B-)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited February 2012 Posts: 4,043
    In YOLT, DAF and mostly everything accept some moments after the PTS in GF.

Not forgetting the travesty that is NSNA!
    Haha, I love how strong the reactions are to this thread...You find those that love or hate George, Roger, Tim, Pierce & Daniel but never in my life have I come across a Sean hater :-)
    I don't think anyone really will hate Connery's portrayal as Bond. He was the original, and set the benchmark. It's hard to dislike Connery as 007.

But during his tenure, it wasn't all roses. Sure, Dr. No, FRWL, GF and TB are undisputed classics, and hard to find fault with Connery's portrayal.

But I think just about everyone here is in agreement with his final 3 - YOLT, DAF and NSNA, which are all fairly poor Bond films too.
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    Yes he was.

There are some people who arent huge fans of Connery. Barryt007 for instance.

...and this bloke.

Wow. Just wow. He hates Thunderball and want Connery to leave Bond alone....

Shocking. Positively shocking.