Daniel Craig - "Bond bruised and battered me"

edited January 2012 in News Posts: 940
Some interesting comments about DC's thoughts on QOS, his Bond future and other films.

The last quote of the article about his Bond future is open to interpretation. Maybe he was joking. MGW will hope so!

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/bond-bruised-and-battered-me/story-fn6ci0vj-1226241777956

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I would think that's a joke. Craig's contracted for it, so I'm sure he wants to fulfill his contract and is just nothing thinking beyond that at the moment. What happens after, right now, is up in the air.

Good all round interview though, thanks @slyfox.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 1,661
    If you read that he gives the impression he won't stick with Bond for much longer. He said making Bond films is exhausting so I can't imagine him making another three after Skyfall. I wouldn't be surprised if he does call it a day after Skyfall but the producers may tempt him with more cash, and well, he's only human, he may reconsider! ;)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I think it was a joke, we know he likes teasing in interviews.
    It reads like a joke. I interpret it somewhat like this ; *%&#! give me at least one more! If it was up to me I'd make these *%"#1! movies as long as I'm fit for it and the producers and the audience want me. I can't guarantee this'll last much longer. Just give me one *¤#!& movie and I'm happy. I *%¤!# love making these movies!
    We long ago heard that Craig was hurt by the reaction to Quantum Of Solace but it's great to finaIly the reason as to how: "I can't work like this. It's too exhausting and not rewarding enough. And I'm not satisfied with the outcome". Very honest and this only sets in stone any Bond film Craig is a part of, he wants to be of an exceptional quality. This still better mean Bond 24 in 2014 though. ;)
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 6,601
    SharkBait wrote:
    It reads like a joke. I interpret it somewhat like this ; *%&#! give me at least one more! If it was up to me I'd make these *%"#1! movies as long as I'm fit for it and the producers and the audience want me. I can't guarantee this'll last much longer. Just give me one *¤#!& movie and I'm happy. I *%¤!# love making these movies!

Exactly. It would be his way of saying this.
    But interesting, that in hintsight more and more details of the difficult situation on the QOS set come out. I think, every actor hates to start a film, even a small one without a finished script and would say, "Don't do it" Must have been terrible to be in that situation with a huge budget like this. Still -. hadn't it been for the terrible cut, the film would have been not bad at all. But this ruined it for most. The roof top chase might have been among the best...

As for the injuries - the fingertip, the cut in the face and working next day and, of course, the shoulder, which took many months to heal...
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 1,661
    QOS was a hit so not sure why Craig has to keep moaning about it. If it underperformed or everyone moaned about Craig's performance I'd understand his feelings but it did well and the majority of film goers accept him in the role. Just move on, Danny!
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    fanbond123 wrote:
    QOS was a hit so not sure why Craig has to keep moaning about it. Just move on, Danny!

Don't be stupid. Not critically, it wasn't.

Not to mention it seemed to knock Craig's confidence in his career as a whole: "Tintin came along and Cowboys & Aliens and the Fincher thing and suddenly I felt better about things."
    I think, they just set out to make a much better film and he is - personally - disappointed, it turned out flawed like that. It needn't have to, you know. I don't understand it like moaning, its a reality check on something, that happened and clearing things up. Also - its more the reporter asking about it and not him inviting them to make an interview about how he feels about QOS. Had they choose another actor for 23, we wouldn't hear a word from him and what's wrong in feeling, he did let the fans down? Shows, he cares... The success of QOS was very much front loaded, as people expected big things after CR. My two...
    Germanlady wrote:
    The success of QOS was very much front loaded, as people expected big things after CR. My two...

Indeed. At the box office if Skyfall opened to the last film's numbers and held well, it would earn $200 mllion in the US alone. This could be well be a big film, the one Quantum Of Solace hoped to be.

As for the earlier Craig leaving comments from @fanbond123, he's said time and time again, he loves played Bond. As long as EON want him, he'll stay, or until he's too old. As I've said before, Craig is in for the long haul just like the plan of every actor before him.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 6,601
    I think, the opening for SF will be a bit under QOS, as now it might be the other way around. People wanna know first, they are not in for another QOS and word of mouth will have to do the trick IMO.

I expect maybe 60 Mill in the US instead of 70, but in the end - a good Bond film could make 700 Mill these days, I think...
    It's the 50th anniversary, don't count that out. It'll boost the opening numbers. I think it'll be about the same but Skyfall will just edge Quantum Of Solace out except this should hold really well if it's a great film.

It's a long way away but the film is tracking just under the last as of today. $148m vs $151m in the first 24 days. It will open big, I think you can bet on that. Four years is a long wait and the public want the return of James Bond badly I sense.
    I'm sure there'll be a lot of people that don't know it's Bond's 5 big O...
    I would say its a joke but also highlights that he won't beat Moore's record of 7 movies.
    I still believe he will stop at 5 films?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    SharkBait wrote:
    I'm sure there'll be a lot of people that don't know it's Bond's 5 big O...

that is why the MGM marketing machine will make sure every bit of promotion around Skyfall and James Bond this year, Informs and Reminds everyone of that fact...

the first example of this, is the anniversary edition blu rays - with the big 5-0 plastered on it.

i do like that picture with all 6 actors on it! Very iconic indeed!
    It's fun to notice that Craig is the only Bond to sport a machine gun. Even though Brosnan was Mr. Machine Gun Bang Bang!
  • I'm not a huge craig fan, or a massive craig hater, but I will say he did more stunts than any other bond
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2012 Posts: 28,694
    In the long run, the 4 year break between QoS and SF was actually more beneficial. Dan got time to recover and wade out into waters he hadn't tested, making him a better actor for it. Kudos to him, but I want at least 2 more Bonds after SF! Ok Dan?!