What do you consider the most dire moment in a Bond film?

Comments

• OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    STLCards3 wrote: »
    Octopussy wrote: »
    Stockholm Syndrome. Oh dear.

Why? Do you feel they dealt with such a serious topic too casually?

Just the delivery of that entire scene between Bond and Elektra. The monologue about his shoulder and how Renard knew where to hurt him. It feels like a scene out of the Bold & The Beautiful rather then Bond, IMO.
    I cringe everytime I see Jaws giving Bond the thumbs up sign at the end of Moonraker.

Just the delivery of that entire scene between Bond and Elektra. The monologue about his shoulder and how Renard knew where to hurt him. It feels like a scene out of the Bold & The Beautiful rather then Bond, IMO.

Good description of TWINE. 90s soap opera.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    It has always amused me how LTK is often held up as a gritty entry that brought Bond back to earth and injected a realism missing from the Moore era.

I am not certain even MR can top this list of events for sheer daftness;

parachuting into a wedding
    Killing a man with an electric eel
    Killing a man in a tank full of maggots
    disguising himself as a manta ray
    water skiing after a plane
    a Polaroid camera that takes X-ray pictures (of picture portraits too no less)
    exploding toothpaste
    Bond attacked by a man wielding a giant swordfish
    Bond fighting ninjas
    doing a front wheelie with a truck
    doing a side-wheelie (or whatever you'd call it) in an articulated lorry
    the Bond theme playing in the bullets bouncing off the truck
    ending it all with a winking fish

I still love the film and have it firmly in my top ten, but a lot of this gets forgotten, especially in casual reviews of the film.

To be fair, the winking fish is an ornament in Sanchez' house - it's not actually alive.
    It has always amused me how LTK is often held up as a gritty entry that brought Bond back to earth and injected a realism missing from the Moore era.

exploding toothpaste
    Bond fighting ninjas

I still love the film and have it firmly in my top ten, but a lot of this gets forgotten, especially in casual reviews of the film.

To be fair, the winking fish is an ornament in Sanchez' house - it's not actually alive.

If you think LTK is more daft than MR, then I think you are daft.... ;)

exploding toothpaste
    Bond fighting ninjas

If you think LTK is more daft than MR, then I think you are daft.... ;)

I never said I wasn't!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited April 2020 Posts: 8,034

exploding toothpaste
    Bond fighting ninjas

I'm not sure how a lot of these could fall under the "daft" category. Especially the points about the electric eel and the maggots. I'll give you the gadgets though. And maybe the truck, even though I always found it incredibly cool.

exploding toothpaste
    Bond fighting ninjas

I'm not sure how a lot of these coukd fall under the "daft" category. Especially the points about the electric eel and the maggots. I'll give you the gadgets though. And maybe the truck, even though I always found it incredibly cool.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that it's as silly as any other Bond, despite its vaunted grittiness.

Regarding the theme of the thread, the most dire moment of the series for me is the retconning in Spectre - to say nothing of the photocopied pictures of his past girlfriends on the Mi6 walls, and a 9mm bullet penetrating the metal of a helicopter at a distance of half a mile.

exploding toothpaste
    Bond fighting ninjas

I'm not sure how a lot of these could fall under the "daft" category. Especially the points about the electric eel and the maggots. I'll give you the gadgets though. And maybe the truck, even though I always found it incredibly cool.

Yeah, the eel is deadly and it wasn't like Bond stuck it on the guy. And the maggots didn't kill anybody, they created a distraction and Bond put the guard in with them, doubt it killed him.

My thing about the manta ray getup is without Q, just where would he find a disguise like that. It's over pretty quickly, though. Explosive in a toothpaste container isn't such a bad thing, it gets the job done.
    BT3366 wrote: »

exploding toothpaste
    Bond fighting ninjas

Yeah, the eel is deadly and it wasn't like Bond stuck it on the guy. And the maggots didn't kill anybody, they created a distraction and Bond put the guard in with them, doubt it killed him.

My thing about the manta ray getup is without Q, just where would he find a disguise like that. It's over pretty quickly, though. Explosive in a toothpaste container isn't such a bad thing, it gets the job done.

I'm sure, considering where that sequence is set, it's not beyond the realm of believability that he could have just bought it. It's just fabric, after all - nowhere near as complicated as getting into and steering a fake crocodile.
    Getafix wrote: »

See, I prefer the attempt and humanizing characters and emotions to the mind-numbing filler of machine-gun spray action sets of what came before it. I'd watch TWINE a billion times before ever having to see the movies that came directly before or after it again.

exploding toothpaste
    Bond fighting ninjas

exploding toothpaste
    Bond fighting ninjas

I get the point you are trying to make, and I agree. There is defintely plenty of the bizarre elements people consider to be "Bondian" in LTK. Calling it daft and comparing it to Moonraker is a bit too much though... ;)

exploding toothpaste
    Bond fighting ninjas

I'm not sure how a lot of these coukd fall under the "daft" category. Especially the points about the electric eel and the maggots. I'll give you the gadgets though. And maybe the truck, even though I always found it incredibly cool.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that it's as silly as any other Bond, despite its vaunted grittiness.

Regarding the theme of the thread, the most dire moment of the series for me is the retconning in Spectre - to say nothing of the photocopied pictures of his past girlfriends on the Mi6 walls, and a 9mm bullet penetrating the metal of a helicopter at a distance of half a mile.

I didn't really have an issue with that part in SP. In fact that was one of the few moments I liked. It reminded me of a nod to TMWTGG.

The worst part of SP for me, and another low point for the series that rivals the likes of CGI surfing and double taking pigeons, is the bit when Bond has his head drilled, then is absolutely 100% fighting fit and raring to go, exactly one nano-second later, shooting all the baddies outside. Utterly horrendous, and makes a mockery out of everything we saw Craig's Bond endure in CR.

See, I prefer the attempt and humanizing characters and emotions to the mind-numbing filler of machine-gun spray action sets of what came before it. I'd watch TWINE a billion times before ever having to see the movies that came directly before or after it again.

Or... just skip 95-02 entirely. That's what I do.

The low point of the series for sure.

[/quote]

I didn't really have an issue with that part in SP. In fact that was one of the few moments I liked. It reminded me of a nod to TMWTGG.

The worst part of SP for me, and another low point for the series that rivals the likes of CGI surfing and double taking pigeons, is the bit when Bond has his head drilled, then is absolutely 100% fighting fit and raring to go, exactly one nano-second later, shooting all the baddies outside. Utterly horrendous, and makes a mockery out of everything we saw Craig's Bond endure in CR.[/quote]

Sorry, which bit of the climax of SP reminded you of TMWTGG?

The pictures of people from Bond's past in the MI6 building in SP was evocative of similar tricks in Scaramanga's Fun House.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    It was also evocative of a Kinko's.

The pictures of people from Bond's past in the MI6 building in SP was evocative of similar tricks in Scaramanga's Fun House.

Yes, thanks for answering that. Spot on. :-bd

Yes, thanks for answering that. Spot on. :-bd

I think that's being generous to SP but fair enough.
    Bond gets poked in the brain by his half-brother (dire enough as a character) and then becomes a universal soldier and finishes the headquarters without any problem, like DC's demise in the previous movie highly bloody unlikely and this time without a recuperation period. Mendes made 007 into a bloody Terminator and anybody knows that is done best by Austrian Oak.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Bond gets poked in the brain by his half-brother (dire enough as a character) and then becomes a universal soldier and finishes the headquarters without any problem, like DC's demise in the previous movie highly bloody unlikely and this time without a recuperation period. Mendes made 007 into a bloody Terminator and anybody knows that is done best by Austrian Oak.

Honest Trailers sums it up amazingly.
    It's like playing GoldenEye 007 on Agent Mode.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Yes, also an indicator for how far Blofeld has fallen over the course of the film. On the way to meeting Bond face to face, which wasn't his plan.

Regarding the brain drill torture that will always make film sense to me. Blofeld is so full of himself, proposing all those things. And he's either wrong about the effects (as shown on screen), or like Le Chiffre his talk is misdirection ("I'm afraid your friend Mathis... is my friend Mathis"). These things aren't served straight up and explained to every single point.

And more real world I relate Bond shooting his way out of the Spectre lair with military training. Anybody who's been on a rifle range with pop up targets up to 300 meters recognizes that thrilling feeling, being in the zone and hitting everything that comes up. It fits that Bond is given the roughest time of it, then steps into the light and gets his Spidey sense back.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Yes, also an indicator for how far Blofeld has fallen over the course of the film. On the way to meeting Bond face to face, which wasn't his plan.

Regarding the brain drill torture that will always make film sense to me. Blofeld is so full of himself, proposing all those things. And he's either wrong about the effects (as shown on screen), or like Le Chiffre his talk is misdirection ("I'm afraid your friend Mathis... is my friend Mathis"). These things aren't served straight up and explained to every single point.

And more real world I relate Bond shooting his way out of the Spectre lair with military training. Anybody who's been on a rifle range with pop up targets up to 300 meters recognizes that thrilling feeling, being in the zone and hitting everything that comes up. It fits that Bond is given the roughest time of it, then steps into the light and gets his Spidey sense back.

As a Spectre fan, I really like your reasoning of these events. From a story telling perspective, however, Bond shooting his way out of the lair is a huge missed opportunity. It would have made much more narrative sense to have Bond require Madeleine's help to escape the lair. The torture of Bond, describing the violent history of Madeleine were all pointing more in this direction I feel.

Honestly I feel with Spectre they were trying to create a film that was both a capstone of Craig's era, and a quintessential Bond film. The direction they went with in Bond escaping Blofeld's lair was a pitfall of the latter I believe.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 7,500

Besides Blofeld does say something like; "If the needle hits the right spot..." It obviously didn't.

That being said I think the ease with which he escapes is a bit ridiculous. And that small explotion blows up the entire lair? Really?

Even Brosnan at least had to struggle a bit more during his infamous Rambo/Terminator moments.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 7,526
    jobo wrote: »

Besides Blofeld does say something like; "If the needle hits the right spot..." It obviously didn't.

That being said I think the ease with which he escapes is a bit ridiculous. And that small explotion blows up the entire lair? Really?

Even Brosnan at least had to struggle a bit more during his infamous Rambo/Terminator moments.

It was clear enough to me on first watch that someone hit the self-destruct on the lair due to it being compromised by Bond.

I suppose they could have thrown a scene in there showing someone hitting the switch.

I agree that DAD and TND are 100% skippable. I find GE and TWINE both perfectly harmless and enjoyable mind-numbing entertainment.
    And that small explotion blows up the entire lair?
    Star Wars homage maybe.
    And that small explotion blows up the entire lair?
    Star Wars homage maybe.

I'll just copy and paste my previous post...

It was clear enough to me on first watch that someone hit the self-destruct on the lair due to it being compromised by Bond.

I suppose they could have thrown a scene in there showing someone hitting the switch.
    Oh I'm good with that as well.