James Bond could come to Australia, if actor Daniel Craig has his way

124»

Comments

i know, but it kinda goes down the celeb cameo thing which i think is a real shame in Bond. i just don't see why its needed? I know Richard Branson featured in CR very briefly but he contributed towards the film i think? And it was only for a split second and he had no lines! lol
    actonsteve wrote:
    As they are currently shooting Skyfall in London at the moment I think they missed a trick not having Craig move through the South Bank while the fireworks were going off.

The only problem is they would have to get dozens of copyright claims in order to play the audio that was played over the fireworks that night.
    ^ And B. their still off for Christmas...
    If 007 would go to Australia I would expect him during a fightscene to throw a baddie on a burning BBQ. That is something different from a shrimp. :D
  • *headdesk*
  • 007 wrote:
    I live in Australia and I would have to agree with the other Australians. We don't have anything unique or worthwhile to offer to the film. To me, a Bond film set in Australia would seem very out of place. I would much rather see him go back to the US where there is a far greater diversity in scenery and a much greater opportunity for a good plot. Also of he came to Australia the film would star local actors... who can't act.

I completely agree. Perhaps being Australian doesn't help, but I just can't see a James Bond film here. It could work as long as they avoid horrible "G'day Bond, we drink beer not martinis!" kind of stereotypes.

As a side note; I did always think Elliot Carver could have been Australian and instead of Harburg having Sydney as his base of operations, especially since Australia is close to Vietnam and the South China Sea, it could have all tied in nicely.

Rupert Murdoch, South Australian Company, Holdan, Warwick Fairfax, Freight Australia, Ascinao Limited, Toll Holdings, Suncorp (Stadium), VEBRobotran-Robotron Group, AusRegistry, Xtreamlok, 1st Commando Regiment, Soc Aus/SASR/IRR (Incident Responce Regiment), Z-Special Unit, RFSUs, Fraser Commando School, Australian Submarine Corp., Collins Class Sub (Replacement programs too), Osborne,DMS Maritime-Port Services, Defence Industry of Victoria, Chemring Group, Astium Satellites, Yalloum Power Station, The Twelve Apostles, Aus. Alps, Mt Ginini, Yarrangobilly Caves, Mt Kosciuszko, Roggenwolf-camo, HMAS Stirling, Guernseys and the Adelaide Oval.

Just the off the top of my head.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 2,598
    In John Pearson's biography of Bond the man also went to Australia where Irma Bunt had a lab underneath the desert.

Out in the country, yes, NZ and Australia would be interesting. A villain could have his headquarters out there but scenes in the city would look boring. NZ and Australia are too new. They lack the beautiful architecture of many other cities around the world.

"If 007 would go to Australia I would expect him during a fightscene to throw a baddie on a burning BBQ. That is something different from a shrimp."

LOL. C'mon mate, throw another baddie on the barbie!
    ^ That has nothing to do with the exotic locations, it's the atmosphere, you don't see an old building on that gorgeous beach in GE. Anyway I could name quite a few old buildings in Sydney and NZ.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1
    Shadow of the sun, you nothing but a negative, anti-australian loser. Perhaps Bond could come here at the request of the Australian Government to 'remove' Shadow of the sun for treason, people would clap at the prospect of him getting his just deserts.

Mod edit - Removed profanity.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Just don't see it happening due to the cost factor.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    ASIS wrote:
    Shadow of the sun, you nothing but a negative, anti-australian loser. Perhaps Bond could come here at the request of the Australian Government to 'remove' Shadow of the sun for treason, people would clap at the prospect of him getting his just deserts.

Mod edit - Removed profanity.

Good news, Shadow was banned a month or two ago <:-P Nice username btw.
  • Hi all, new here so please forgive my stepping on toes. But those who don't feel we are close enough to world geopolitics are probably self-loathing Aussies who feel the culture cringe associated with our nation (fwiw, that includes me)

There could be many and varied realistic plots to involve Australia.

We are considered a very important emotional ally to the USA - we have followed them wherever they have gone militarily in the last 20 years plus. I don't think any other nation has done that, and that does count for (or against, if you like) our country because we have so clearly picked a side.

We are also relatively speaking, closer to China than your traditional Western countries. We have strong education, manufacturing, and as recognised earlier, major resource links to Big Red. We could very feasibly be used as a pawn in some espionage caper between NATO and Chinese interests.

What's more, we really are a SOFT target when it comes to terrorism. The Madrid bombings a few years ago could have easily happened here, and what other country in the world cried "Woe is Me!" louder with each strike in Bali and wider Indonesia than Australia - even Indonesia didn't claim so much suffering and pain as us.

So a potential plot could be involving natural resource deposits here, and some shady deal goings on, but it gets out of hand when MI6 discovers ASIO have been getting played by Chinese interests, and thus all of NATO because ANZUS and NATO share information a fair bit, so Bond has to clean up the mess... You could involve wherever you like in Australia then (obviously Melbourne would be ideal - MELBOURNE PRIDE :) and your bad guy could be any money grubbing psychopath getting rich off exploiting the land (eg Clive Palmer, Gina Reinhardt, Andrew Forrester) or a media manipulator as information distributor (Rupert Murdoch, Jamie Packer) etc.

Anyway, my 2c. I also think Canada would be a good country for a Bond visit, it might also be interesting to see an odd alliance like Bond defending China for Britain or something.

I will leave you alone now. Apologies, I just had to say something...