Who else is turning 50 this year ? Keeping on with Bond .

edited January 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 10
The James Bond franchise has managed to bridge so many generations in its 50 year existence that I was wondering how many of us were there at its inception and continue to avidly follow its progress? If you were a youngster in the sixties and watched the first movies with absolute fascination and surprise for the gadgetry and stunts have you managed to maintain your enthusiasm for the newer movies or are we just faithful followers of our hero ? I hope the Broccoli family continue to provide us with exciting new adventures to thrill us for years to come and never lose the ability to produce something original and entertaining.

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Rolling Stones will also be turning 50 this year...
    Rolling Stones also turning 50 this year. Think they would have made a cracking Bond theme.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 2,115
    Spider-Man and the Hulk, characters that will be appearing in 2012 movies.
  • The Doctor will be turning 50 as well.
    The Doctor will be turning 50 as well.

No next year (2013)
    The TV version of The Saint with Roger Moore will also hit 50 this year.
  • Virage wrote:
    The Doctor will be turning 50 as well.

No next year (2013)

Oh well...I was close.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 4,622
    The Rolling Stones will also be turning 50 this year...

Technically yes, as they played their first club-gig under that name in summer of 1962, but neither Bill Wyman nor Charlie Watts had joined the band at this point. Of the 5 originals, only Jagger, Richards and Brian Jones were with the band at this earliest incarnation. It wasn't until January 1963 that both Bill and Charlie were also in place, and the rest is history. In short order, the Stones were making their first recordings and taking London by storm.
    Jagger considers the Stones to have rightly formed in 1963.
  • Seeing Timmer post here reminds me that October will be the 50th anniversary of the meetings in New York between Ian Fleming and Norman Felton that helped lead to The Man From UNCLE in 1964.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 4,622
    Seeing Timmer post here reminds me that October will be the 50th anniversary of the meetings in New York between Ian Fleming and Norman Felton that helped lead to The Man From UNCLE in 1964.
    Yes that's a great story. Its well documented in interviews with the Uncle Complete Series dvd set. If I've got it straight, Felton had been inspired by DN and wanted to create a TV series in a similar vein, so he sought out Fleming. Felton recalls that because of Fleming's heart issues, their meetings were walk and talk affairs, as Fleming wanted his exercise. Fleming contributed the name Solo and also much detail as to his personal habits, such as culinary, sartorial, and other quirks. Fleming originally suggested the character be Canadian. Felton recalls that Fleming spent much of their time recalling his own intelligence escapades and talking about Bond. Felton recalls the meetings fondly but explains that ultimately it was left to Sam Rolfe to plot out the series. Rolfe rejected virtually everything Fleming had suggested, which really wasn't much, but they did retain the name Solo. And there is no doubt that DN the film, was the impetus for the series that Felton and Rolfe created. Fleming had agreed to work as a consultant on whatever they came up with, but Harry Saltzman stepped in and "convinced" Fleming his loyalties were to Eon and not these American TV upstarts.
    The Bond influence though permeates the entire Uncle series.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Marvel's version of Thor also turns 50.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think Tim Roth is 50.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Double 50 - sinking of the Titanic.