Lobby cards thread (now: NTTD)

edited April 27 in Bond Movies Posts: 3,169
As many probably know, lobby cards have been around since 1913. In addition to movie posters, there came a need for photographic images to promote the movie. A set of four to eight photos were nicely placed beneath the movie poster at the entrance - or in the lobby - when moviegoers went to the cinema.

Lobby cards were actual photos shot during the production, Some were taken between takes, some weren't. This is an example of the latter

pIPedJR.jpeg

There is an interesting four-part piece written about the history of the Bond lobby cards here:

https://mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/history_lobby_cards1

CLICK ON THE THUMBNAILS FOR HIGHER RESOLUTION

First up is Dr.No
(feel free to contribute)
dr-no1.jpg
1j2WpUB.jpg
2tWbLp4.jpg
OLBWNvg.jpg
FP6N31X.jpg
wkN7m6H.jpg
bRvOcXm.jpg
OwjkJsT.jpg
b3MPIWx.jpg
agK2bGP.jpg

German Lobby set:

dr-no-german.jpg

French Lobby Set:

Toq7ad4.jpg

Italian lobby card

nv8T6iJ.jpg

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Beautiful stuff! I don't own any myself, but I've always appreciated the art.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 28 Posts: 23,369
    These are the Lobby cards I have, 50th anniversary reproductions....

EEg7pgv.jpg
    n7kOU7M.jpg
    jJVFaIM.jpg
    uhUW3mk.jpg
    Rz9ZUHY.jpg
    EbmlV7R.jpg
    XNmqo1x.jpg
    IJIoCMm.jpg

Bought them in 2020, originally posted these images in Your Bond Collection thread.

EEg7pgv.jpg
    n7kOU7M.jpg
    jJVFaIM.jpg
    uhUW3mk.jpg
    Rz9ZUHY.jpg
    EbmlV7R.jpg
    XNmqo1x.jpg
    IJIoCMm.jpg

Bought them in 2020, originally posted these images in Your Bond Collection thread.

Awesome stuff, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. You bought them -- just out of curiosity, were they expensive or Expensive?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    DarthDimi wrote: »

EEg7pgv.jpg
    n7kOU7M.jpg
    jJVFaIM.jpg
    uhUW3mk.jpg
    Rz9ZUHY.jpg
    EbmlV7R.jpg
    XNmqo1x.jpg
    IJIoCMm.jpg

Awesome stuff, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. You bought them -- just out of curiosity, were they expensive or Expensive?

I was lucky enough to find them in a charity shop still in there cellophane wrapping, I keep meaning to frame them or at least a few of them though admittedly my wall space currently is completely full.

I am not entirely sure how much I paid it was Feb 2020 when I bought them, £8 each I think.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

EEg7pgv.jpg
    n7kOU7M.jpg
    jJVFaIM.jpg
    uhUW3mk.jpg
    Rz9ZUHY.jpg
    EbmlV7R.jpg
    XNmqo1x.jpg
    IJIoCMm.jpg

I was lucky enough to find them in a charity shop still in there cellophane wrapping, I keep meaning to frame them or at least a few of them though admittedly my wall space currently is completely full.

I am not entirely sure how much I paid it was Feb 2020 when I bought them, £8 each I think.

That's a reasonable price then. Good for you, sir. 😊
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Great thread @Zekidk
    I’ll look forward to its progression.
    @Thunderfinger made an excellent point on the Your Bond Collection thread when I originally posted my lobby cards...
    "Lobby cards" were meant to give you a tease of the film. You couldn t go online to watch a trailer back then.

I totally agree, in my youth seeing the lobby cards in old theaters and opera houses captured the imagination for upcoming films.
  • edited February 4 Posts: 3,169
    From Russia with Love (1963)

ysheM4W.jpeg
    ZXG7QMm.jpeg
    ycFHILr.jpeg
    SqCEMqc.jpeg
    X0ioHA8.jpeg

Swiss lobby card set

DBoRjFO.jpeg

French lobby card set

french2.jpg

German lobby cards

S1jqkVZ.jpeg
    KF1Hyhv.jpeg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 29 Posts: 14,957
    I love the ones which mix a bit of the poster artwork with the photos. The Dr No one with the painted Sean and two pics of him throwing people, and those FRWL ones with the Sean holding the target board are lovely I think, and you can imagine them being quite exciting glimpses of the movie.

And how great is this one which Zekidk posted:

SqCEMqc.jpeg

Who wouldn't want to watch that film?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    For my ranking games I usually also find the best material amongst the many (international) lobby cards, great idea for a thread!
    mtm wrote: »
    this one which Zekidk posted:
    That picture filled the entire back of the original VHS-tape I bought in the early 80's. At that time - and as a 12 year-old, I remember thinking that she was the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. Then came TB :-)

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Zekidk wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    this one which Zekidk posted:
    That picture filled the entire back of the original VHS-tape I bought in the early 80's. At that time - and as a 12 year-old, I remember thinking that she was the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. Then came TB :-)

Haha! That one of her lying on the train carriage bed is surprisingly saucy for 1963 too!
    These are great @Zekidk
    A few I found...

j7uo7esf8vlb.jpg
    c3cj47chs7c0.jpg
    6wwicyruu4hy.jpg
  • edited February 4 Posts: 3,169
    Goldfinger (1964)

e4VVpvf.jpg
    XEFqaAx.jpg
    LsvCeiw.jpg
    SGMjCE4.jpg
    0rl7W6n.jpg
    wKLfW6E.jpg
    wH0GoAs.jpg

French lobby cards

S74m5wR.jpg
    BszruqF.jpg
    ltgyona.jpg

German lobby cards

german.jpg

Mexican (!) lobby cards

C9ALbJQ.jpg
    6wwicyruu4hy.jpg

If I didn't know better, I'd say these are two drunken blokes helping each other to stand up straight.
    edited February 2 Posts: 14,879
    I like these two...

gk0qm0sc5bi7.jpg
    lzbh2gnzd66f.jpg

The second one is obviously Connery and Frobe on the Miami set between takes, but it's still intriguing as far as an audience member would go, seeing this in the lobby.
    The first one, would just want me to know more. How is Bond in this situation?
    Thunderball 1965

rYsoMyx.jpg
    ZwwII3Q.jpg
    14Fl206.jpg
    MI7KiWh.jpg
    UFOyoTb.jpg
    SUWVX67.jpg

Spanish

rjlUHvj.jpg
    iEEgCEk.jpg
    y4tUcwB.jpg

German

KX2TkiK.jpg
    Q3FpNR9.jpg

French

ubAa4aO.jpg
    Some wonderful lobby cards as usual @Zekidk

A few I found...
    qd6auqw0m7sn.jpg
    hi2qyaxmzzwr.jpg
    p09bpxlfh2v4.jpg
    rzlie81n05ng.jpg
    xrz98q4uvlmu.jpg
  • edited February 4 Posts: 5,809
    One perverse effect of those lobby cards was that after seeing the movie, people often wondered why some scenes that were advertised didn't appear in the movie. I'm thinking f this one, for example :

hi2qyaxmzzwr.jpg

I know that I myself was confused. Same with the scene where Largo, in a white suit, did a briefing with his frogmen.

operation-tonnerre-65-03-g.jpg
    Gerard wrote: »
    One perverse effect of those lobby cards was that after seeing the movie, people often wondered where some scenes that were advertised didn't appear in the movie.
    Also the angles. You hardly see the tounge of Bob Simmons in the 2.35.1 movieprint for example.
    LDHOIx3.jpg
    SUWVX67.jpg

I finally found out the one thing I dislike about TB: it's pacing issue. The 12 minute almost dialogue-free segment from when Duvall takes off in the jet to when SPECTRE secures the two bombs, should have been cut in half.
    Great stuff, @Zekidk! Thank you for finding these gems.
    Fascinating subject about an important part of Bond history. Something that's always intrigued me over the years with these is why the publicists chose to tweak the colors in some pictures. For instance, Bond's blue shirt he wears in the Crab Key is colored gold or red. The orange TB wetsuit is colored green in another shot and his shirts and a couple suits sport a gold tint, which would've made sense for GF, but not TB.
    You Only Live Twice 1967

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3b.jpg
    Image2.jpg

james-bond-007-you-only-live-twice-original-lobby-card-uk-1967-4743.png

German

german2.jpg
    germ2.jpg

Mexican (!)

mexican.jpg

On Her Majesty's Secret Service 1969:

1.jpg
    1b.jpg
    1c.jpg

German

german.jpg
    german2.jpg

French

french.jpg
    french2.jpg

Mexican

mexican.jpg
    Another great set of lobby cards @Zekidk

I think OHMSS contains the most amount of cards with crew members featured.
    The one with the dresser brushing Telly Savalas, or the one just above it too the right, with Lazenby, and director Peter Hunt and I think George Leech on the far left.
    I think nowadays with productions more accessible to the masses, they'd be a little more careful.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    They've all been great, but these are my favourites. What a superb set of images. Btw the first German one, is that the so-called 'Scandinavian Girl'?
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Btw the first German one, is that the so-called 'Scandinavian Girl'?
    Yes, that's Julie Ege.
    I got a Brotha 1971

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg

French

FR1.jpg
    FR2.jpg

German

german.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but these are the least exciting of the lobby cards so far.
    They're not terrible for sure, and Connery is clearly the biggest thing about them.

q0oaoj0xolgi.jpg
    l0ogfh46ds02.jpg
    kahcbpg1v2z1.jpg
    g33j6atfum7h.jpg
    m1amf31kreol.jpg
    yry0wrdiumhi.jpg
    n3ofe0ru8s5p.jpg
    8h9ittpl9jo4.jpg