Bruckner 9 in a James Bond film?

edited August 2023 in Music Posts: 3
While listening to Bruckner's 9th symphony recently, part of the coda to the first movement sounded very familiar. I believe it may have been used in a James Bond film somewhere, but cannot remember which film/scene. The snippet in question is from 24:10 to 24:34 in the video below. Does anyone recognise this, particularly the melody in the brass?

https://youtu.be/C0M4RkMLqC8?t=1449

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Hello. To my memory, this hasn't been heard verbatim in a Bond film. However, at 24:12-24:22, the chords, and the combination of brass and strings in the arrangement, remind me strongly of 0:03-0:10 in this, from Moonraker:

Also, I find it reminiscent of several passages in Flight into Space, also from Moonraker:

Also evocative of this from The World Is Not Enough.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That is very Barry, with the kind of cycling strings and right down to the slight discord in the brass.
    mtm wrote: »
    That is very Barry, with the kind of cycling strings and right down to the slight discord in the brass.

Absolutely! If I had first heard that snippet from Bruckner 9 out of context, without knowing what I was listening to, I would have guessed it was composed by Barry. The diminished fifth in the horn gives it an ominous tone; I'm sure I've heard that (or something extremely similar) during a Bond movie, but no longer have my recorded-off-the-TV video tapes to check.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Hello. To my memory, this hasn't been heard verbatim in a Bond film. However, at 24:12-24:22, the chords, and the combination of brass and strings in the arrangement, remind me strongly of 0:03-0:10 in this, from Moonraker...

Also, I find it reminiscent of several passages in Flight into Space, also from Moonraker...

Also evocative of this from The World Is Not Enough...

Thanks for taking the trouble to post these. All conjure a similar atmosphere to the Bruckner 9 clip, but are not what I remember (or believe I remember...) hearing in a Bond film.
    bluto wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Hello. To my memory, this hasn't been heard verbatim in a Bond film. However, at 24:12-24:22, the chords, and the combination of brass and strings in the arrangement, remind me strongly of 0:03-0:10 in this, from Moonraker...

Also, I find it reminiscent of several passages in Flight into Space, also from Moonraker...

Also evocative of this from The World Is Not Enough...

Thanks for taking the trouble to post these. All conjure a similar atmosphere to the Bruckner 9 clip, but are not what I remember (or believe I remember...) hearing in a Bond film.

You're welcome. Let us know if you find out. I'm halfway through the Bruckner symphony and enjoying it a lot.