Would you rather watch Sir Sean in The Untouchables OR The Rock?

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Maybe MGW can play M, providing us both a returning actor and the inevitable fan theory on how previous Ms had a man in the field the whole time, overseeing all of Bond's missions.
    There will NEVER be an American playing M.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2023 Posts: 6,008
    Forget about Tanner unless the story specifically needs him (like GE). Actually that's the only time Tanner was needed.

Tanner certainly wasn't needed in SP and arguably TMWTGG. That could have been any expository character, and he didn't resemble the Tanner of the books at all in his behavior.

Maybe bring in Ronnie Vallance if the story calls for him. Fleming created many wonderful side characters in Bond's world. Let the new Bond actor have chemistry with someone new, and let them be cut off from MI6 and get to bloody work. That approach worked wonders with Mathis in CR. It was not the character box-checking that started in SF. I blame Mendes.

Just use the MI6 characters only as they are needed. I didn't miss Moneypenny or Q in CR at all. I didn't miss Q in LALD either.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    echo wrote: »
    Just use the MI6 characters only as they are needed. I didn't miss Moneypenny or Q in CR at all. I didn't miss Q in LALD either.

I agree. Let's get rid of the idea having to sport the entire crew every time.

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    We've gone from having a laid back attitude about actors playing the same roles and continuity, to a fixation on having the same actors back. I rather like that with Bond changing that the backbone stay the same.

But given that Craig's Bond ended permanently and died I think it makes more sense to have new actors in the roles. I agree with @echo lets not have backstories or grand introductions to Mi6 personnel. I didn't like the whole "no Harris isn't Moneypenny she's Eve an Mi6 agent."

Have them be there, it didn't cause me to not enjoy DN not knowing the back story of M, Moneypenny or the Armorer.
    Clean slate is the only way to go, and that includes no criticism of the previous actors. Still I believe that a future stretch of the franchise will only work if it starts from scratch regarding Bond's status (maybe remaking the CR story yet again) and following the novel timeline...and for me, ideally putting Flemng's novels into period pieces.
    Great stuff as always, looks like most are preferring that we get a whole new set of actors in the roles.

Lets jump off for another choice!

Would you rather listen to Dame Shirley belt out Goldfinger OR Diamonds Are Forever?

Dame Shirley Bassey is the only artist to sing three Bond theme songs. Two of them are considered some of the best in the series. I wonder which one would you rather listen to? Goldfinger or Diamonds Are Forever?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Damn you, @thedove ! This question gave my brain a cramp 😂
    I don't care if she sings Goldfinger or Diamonds Are Forever or Moonraker...they are all great!.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Diamonds Are Forever. That song just keeps going up in my estimation. Eventually it will probably be my favorite.
    Both equally great. It's all about mood as to which one you listen to. I feel the need to shout out the disco version of Moonraker. Great version. Not embarrassed to admit I love disco.
    GF. One of my most unpopular opinions is my low-ish ranking of the DAF song. It's good, but has never been a Top 10-15 one for me. I much prefer both GF and MR by Bassey.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Diamonds. GF is great but I absolutely love DAF (the song).
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Both.

I’ve been known to warble both around the house in equal measure. :))
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    You *@$!@^.d @thedove , that's like asking which of my two children I like the most.
    They're both fantastic, along with MR. As others have said, it depends on my mood to be honest. But in order to give you an answer...DAF. No GF...DAF.
    Goldfinger.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    DAF - starts off eerie/mysterious and ends with majestic grandeur.
    GF, but it's extremely close.
    Here's a question: most remastered versions of the DAF song I've heard seem to omit that opening chord that segues into the iconic melodic intro. WHY??????
    I was in the mood to hear the song the other day and every version I found online was like that.
    Also remastered versions of GF online sound muffled to me.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    I liked Shirley Bassey but not a fan of these two (Moonraker is my favorite Bond theme from her).

But I felt GF was a bit dated (it's obviously an old song 😁), as much as it's one of my least favorite films, I'd go with DAF, it didn't felt dated as much as GF, DAF had some touch of modern tones like drum beats and bass.

GF was purely orchestraic which made it, for me, a moody listening or depends upon the mood when I'm in the vibe to listen to the old songs, same for the Classical Pieces like Vivaldi, Mozart and etc.

Meanwhile DAF felt contemporary that it wouldn't be even an out of place if played in a radio, but GF would be felt like your average Grandparents' songs (which again, is not a bad thing, but just made it to me somewhat a moody listen).

That's said DAF is still not perfect as a song, for me, it felt a bit repetitive though.

Moonraker is my favorite Shirley Bassey Bond song! (Might be unpopular, but it is).
  • JustJamesJustJames London
    Oh look. I’ve gone suddenly and temporarily deaf.
    Seems I have posed a Sophie's Choice question and didn't even know it! LOL! Very interesting to hear the opinions one way and the other! It is a hard call to pick one. My Dad's favourite was GF I always enjoyed the lyrics of DAF and how Bassey has fun with them.

If I am going to choose, and it seems only fair since I am making others do it, I would choose DAF no GF okay seriously GF, nope, I think I would choose DAF. The smart lyrics win it by a nose!
    Well, it is easier to write lyrics that make sense based on a relatively no-nonsense title like Diamonds Are Forever (the DeBeers marketing slogan) than some including a name like Goldfinger or Moonraker. Nobody has an idea what a Moonraker could be. It makes as much sense as "And he strikes...like Thun...derball". Likewise, the GF theme has nothing much to do with the Goldfinger character since he is not kissing a single Golden Girl in the movie, nor in the novel.

I guess while the GF theme is the most iconic of them all (like just about every other element of GF), I really sort of prefer both DAF and MR (the themes) for listening to.
    Another great back and forth and some good points.

And now for something completely different:

Work for Stromberg Shipping and work towards a life under the sea OR work for Drax Industries and work towards a life in outer space?
    Drax.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    I'm a little apprehensive about going into the ocean in light of recent events, though I guess space isn't any better. But at least you'd get a nice view before you die. So I'll go for Drax, as long as his space station isn't made of carbon fibre.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 2023 Posts: 3,394
    Working with Stromberg under the sea, whatever happens, I'm going to get drown and get eaten by a shark, so a big no no.

Therefore, I'd go with Drax, being in space is a great experience, with all the beautiful set pieces (his space station), lasers and all, it's a unique moment in such an entire life, and there's no drowning, as long as you know how to handle yourself, there's a possibility of you surviving in space, in ocean, there are sharks with you just floating around elsewhere, nowhere to be seen and forever get lost (I've seen a lot of movies with almost few people got survived just floating on the sea with either a boat or a raft and they're dead, just think of Titanic), I don't want that to happen to me.

But in space, there's still a higher chance of surviving (look at Jaws and Dolly).
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Drax of course. Who could pass up the chance to wear a pair of mustard-coloured Converse?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Take me under the sea, please. Although Drax' plan to mate with "physically perfect" women to repopulate Earth sounds pretty good too...
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Even though I prefer MR over TSWLM, I'd definitely take water over outer space.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    If I can take Manuela, then "space" it is! :x

fca4224000a11f20bebf449e928a37c5.jpg
    Okay and now for something completely different:

For the next Bond adventure:

Would you rather the next movie take Bond to Down Under or The Great White North?

Down Under is Australia, Great White North Canada. Neither country has been featured in a Bond film. (although some scenes have been shot in Canada filling in for Austria) What part of the country or city could you see being a good place to take double-o-7!