Would you rather have a young Bond adventure OR an older Bond adventure?

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Good stuff and great points for both performances. A difficult decision for sure.

Here's another fantasy would you rather concerning the films.

Connery while the mold as the first Bond had some mis-steps. One that fans tend to harp on is NSNA. Connery did the film as an FU to Broccoli et al. He also did it as his career was getting stagnant and he needed a hit. The result is an uneven film. Critics were not kind and neither is the Bond community when it comes to this film.

Craig was seen as THE Bond with strong performances in all his films. Famously, mis-quoted, saying after SP "I'd rather slit my wrists then return to the role." Daniel was indeed coerced back and to do one more film. NTTD is a film that has polarized the community. Some love it's take on the character and the death of Bond. Others view it as a woeful ending to a great run of films by Daniel.

Would you rather Connery had not done NSNA OR that Craig had not done NTTD?

Would you prefer to live in a world where the last time Connery played Bond was in 1971 in DAF? Or would you prefer to live in a world where Daniel drives off in the Aston in SP?

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Craig not done NTTD
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Craig not done NTTD. I'd prefer to live in a world where Daniel drives off in the Aston in SP.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited October 2023 Posts: 3,393
    Craig should not done both SP and NTTD (which, to be honest, both of these films kinda tainted his era).

I'd rather see Craig's last as how we've seen it in SF, him telling M that he's going to do missions with pleasure, and that picture of him standing at the rooftop looking at the Union Jack.

No step brother (I'm jealous of my step brother) angle, no Madeleine Swann, no interconnected storylines, no deep familial connections.
  • NSNA is great and NTTD is boring.
    I mean, if I had a gun to my head my pick would definitely be Connery in NSNA…. As others have said though I wouldn’t want to lose a Bond film. Even NSNA.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I don't want to pick which Bond film to lose.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I wouldn't want to lose NSNA and its place in film history.

Would definitely keep NTTD as a top flight Bond film that's important to the franchise.

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    @thedove I have a message for you.
    Just proposed an interesting topic to discuss in this thread.
    Thank you 😊
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Craig not done NTTD. I'd prefer to live in a world where Daniel drives off in the Aston in SP.

This is also what I'd say. Connery also had a pretty satisfying fairwell at the end of NSNA too.

If we had someone else than Craig in NTTD, the film might have turned out much differently, which I wouldn't mind.
    Someone had to do both, so they could course correct afterwards. So I wouldn’t want to loose either.
  • Seeing as how I actually get enjoyment out of NTTD versus the feeling of depression that NSNA gives me, I’ll keep Craig’s final outing, flaws and all.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well, the persons who choose NTTD seem to do this thinking it would mean Bond wouldn't die at all. I don't think that is a given, I think it's something that would've been done eventually. With that in mind I'd go for NSNA. Allthough, tbh, it is part of folklore that isn't bad.
  • The films are an interesting comparison to be sure. One film is perceived by many (perhaps unfairly) to be made out of spite for the character of Bond and the film series, while the other film IS actually made out of spite for EON productions and the film series.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 12,284
    The former. I don’t really care all that much about NSNA, especially since IMO TB does almost everything better. Meanwhile, NTTD ranks around the middle of my list, and I find it a way better movie than SP myself so I’m glad Craig got a better one to go out on. SP’s one of my least favorites, and the only Craig movie I don’t enjoy a lot collectively.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 760
    w
    The films are an interesting comparison to be sure. One film is perceived by many (perhaps unfairly) to be made out of spite for the character of Bond and the film series, while the other film IS actually made out of spite for EON productions and the film series.

EON doesn't care about Fleming's Bond. We should already know this.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    w
    The films are an interesting comparison to be sure. One film is perceived by many (perhaps unfairly) to be made out of spite for the character of Bond and the film series, while the other film IS actually made out of spite for EON productions and the film series.

Is that why Barbara Broccoli had the head creatives, including the director of NTTD, read YOLT?

You may not like EoN, but your statement is quite presumptuous.
    peter wrote: »
    w

Is that why Barbara Broccoli had the head creatives, including the director of NTTD, read YOLT?

Why? 50 years of movies prove that.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Craig not doing NTTD, no question. It's my third favorite of his era but I think NSNA is quite a blast of fun, and I'd gladly pick any avenue that doesn't lead to Bond being killed.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »
    w

Why? 50 years of movies prove that.

Really? So why are you here? To educate us on why the last fifty of sixty years of EoN Bond films are horrible and we’re made out of a dislike for the character?
    NTTD is no different than Octopussy, DAF or GE. It's Eon doing their thing. This time it was Skyfall 2.0.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited October 2023 Posts: 7,996
    NTTD is no different than Octopussy, DAF or GE. It's Eon doing their thing. This time it was Skyfall 2.0.

Could you explain that to us in English for those of us who don't speak spy?
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 1,007
    I'd rather Craig had done one after SF.

And I mean 'done one' in the Liverpudlian way.

I'd keep Connery in NSNA and lose Craig in NTTD.

I have a soft spot for NSNA as that and OP cemented my Bond fandom.
    I hate to face this, but NTTD has kind of steered me away from Bond. It's a shame, because I still love the film regardless.
    I can see the flaws in NSNA, but I'm glad it exists. On the other hand, No Time to Die is the only James Bond movie I wish they'd never made.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I vote off Connery and his swim shorts of NSNA.

They killed Bond like they Killed M. They wanted another Skyfall. That's how It works.
  • peterpeter Toronto

They killed Bond like they Killed M. They wanted another Skyfall. That's how It works.

No, it doesnt
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Craig not doing NTTD, no question. It's my third favorite of his era but I think NSNA is quite a blast of fun, and I'd gladly pick any avenue that doesn't lead to Bond being killed.
    This. I absolutely agree.

If this is your elaborate way of telling me that EON has a habit of re-using storylines, than that's correct only in the snese that they like to use the original material, and, since a few years, elements of the continuation novel(s) (in this case, SP used the torture scene from Col. Sun).
    But by no menas does it imply they just want to repeat things. That is something completely different.