Which film had Bond's easiest mission?

2»

Comments

CR has the poisoning, the brutal torture, exceptional physical moments like the opening chase + airport sequence + Obanno battle, and the mental trauma of Vesper…
    Bond's easiest mission was the TMWTGG PTS. All he had to do was just stand there, motionless, and get some fingers blown off.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited September 2022 Posts: 1,665
    kenton wrote: »
    Quantum of Solace for me. He's in the least danger and the least threatening/dangerous villain of the entire series IMO.

Well, in QOS, he's up against Greene and his organization, corrupt police, the CIA, and MI6 itself! He appears to consider suicide! In contrast to CR, where everybody (MI6, CIA, angry clients, Spectre/Quantum) is out to get Le Chiffre, it's quite an escalation of misfortune!

I'm fascinated by how people can see a bloody and bruised Bond in the finale and think he's having a good time, personally.

To be fair, any bruises or blood are just aesthetic decisions meant to show the reality of violence. They're not documentaries: any of these films could have made the choice to depict Bond more bloodied and bruised from the action.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

To be fair, any bruises or blood are just aesthetic decisions meant to show the reality of violence. They're not documentaries: any of these films could have made the choice to depict Bond more bloodied and bruised from the action.

And I'd be saying the same thing for them if they did make that choice.

Well if we're strictly looking at makeup direction, LTK and the Craigs are the clear winners!

Well if we're strictly looking at makeup direction, LTK and the Craigs are the clear winners!

I'd agree he's not having a good time there, either.

While I'm glad they decided to make Bond look like he'd indeed fallen off a tumbling tanker trunk, I'm not sure the aesthetic choice demonstrates that a mission was harder or easier. If you think beyond hair and makeup, Bond actually totally dominates Sanchez for the preceeding 15 minutes (which is great!). The endless obstacles in the TLD climax seem to be a bit more of a challenge to me.

I'm not sure the aesthetic choice demonstrates that a mission was harder or easier.

I'd say physical exertion is a huge part of the difficulty level, personally. But as I said above, I don't think Bond has ever had it particularly easy.
    Arguably LTK is one of Bond's harder missions. I feel that much of it is him having to think rather quickly on his feet, especially when he comes face to face with Sanchez for the first time. I mean, it's actually rather amazing that he wasn't figured out sooner - all it would have taken was for Dario to be around before the finale and Bond would have been recognised. Rather convenient (ie. contrived) from a script point of view, but there you go.

As for CR, I wouldn't say it's his easiest mission. He's certainly not always fully in control (Carlos gives him the slip in the airport, he gets poisoned at one point, there's the torture scene, just to name a few examples).
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    What about SP? I don't think that was a particularly tough one for Bond.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2022 Posts: 4,548
    I think TB is his easiest by far. At first, he isn't even on a mission and is kicking it at Shrublands. Then, at the slightest danger, Volpe takes out Lippe for him. Largo's spy is not much of a threat at the hotel. Largo lets him have his room to roam: he even invites him over to Palmyra. Volpe gives him a ride (two rides, actually). He sees a few sharks, gets a boo boo on his ankle, is never challenged by the henchman. Then at the very, very end, he does some underwater fighting, kills Largo's men in a speeding boat, and then has Largo taken out for him by Domino. He barely breaks a sweat in this film.

TripAces wrote: »
    I think TB is his easiest by far. At first, he isn't even on a mission and is kicking it at Shrublands. Then, at the slightest danger, Volpe takes out Lippe for him. Largo's spy is not much of a threat at the hotel. Largo lets him have his room to roam: he even invites him over to Palmyra. Volpe gives him a ride (two rides, actually). He sees a few sharks, gets a boo boo on his ankle, is never challenged by the henchman. Then at the very, very end, he does some underwater fighting, kills Largo's men in a speeding boat, and then has Largo taken out for him by Domino. He barely breaks a sweat in this film.

GF and TB have this really nice breezy air about them, and it does seem like Bond not having to strain quite as much as usual is part of it.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I’d have to say clearly TMWTGG is Bond’s easiest mission.
    Very little threat to Bond directly throughout.
    An apparent warning that the world’s deadliest assassin has Bond in his sights turns out to be a ruse. Scaramanga’s kept woman has sent Bond the golden bullet in an attempt to be set free.
    Until Scaramanga kill Andrea and obtains the Solex, Scaramanga isn’t concerned with killing Bond.
    A fight in a Beirut nightclub, a scuffle at a karate club are Bonds biggest threats for most of the movie.
    It’s not till Bond goes to Scaramanga’s island that he’s in any real danger. Even then it’s a fairly uneventful shot out.
    Considering Scaramanga being the world’s deadliest assassin and a trick shot artist, we never really see it in practice. I never get the idea that Bond is in jeopardy.
    The less said about the henchmen seeking revenge for the demise of his boss battle the better.
    Nick Nack hurling an unusual amount of empty wine bottles and then being trapped in a suitcase is a true low point.
    This film is the easiest mission Bond faced.