The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Disagree. OHMSS was the first and will probably always be the best.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited March 2012 Posts: 3,262
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 061</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>FYEO offers the most thrilling ski chase in the entire Bond franchise.</b></font>

Disagree. Thank you Dr_Metz for providing the evidence why:
    Dr_Metz wrote:

Thesis 61: NOPE

I also prefer the TSWLM and TLD cello/ski chase as well. That stated, the FYEO ski chase is a good one and probably the best action scene in the film. I'd rank it higher than the AVTAK and TWINE ski chases, though AVTAK has better action music underscoring it(at least until "California Girls" hits the soundtrack).

Agreed! The FYEO ski chase beats all others!
    Disagree

OHMSS wins this one.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2012 Posts: 4,467
    061. Disagree. The source be as said before OHMSS and TSWLM.

All three are very good, but OHMSS is my favorite and FYEO is good second.
    I find the OHMSS & FYEO ski-chases easily the best the franchise has offered. When they ever decide to do a new one in a future movie they should look at these how it is done.

And both the Barry & Conti score are excellent examples of how such an actionscene should be scored. (that said the TSWLM score accompanying the ski-chase is pretty good too)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,351
    Dr_Metz wrote:

;)

I must say, the For Your Eyes Only is very good, in fact I like all the ski chases to date except one...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Dr_Metz wrote:

I don't really get into these debates, and I really should.
    Have to agree with @Dr_Metz on this one. The above is still amazing 43 years later.

Disagree. TSWLM had very advanced photography and a unique look. It was fast paced, and short but sweet. Not to mention the best Bond stunt ever attempted, and successful!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 062</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>James Bond has a poor taste in breakfast.</b></font>
    Scrambled eggs on toast? Not bad. I'd be quite content having that everyday. A bit more tasty than Weatabix ;)

Disagree.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Scrambled eggs on toast? Not bad. I'd be quite content having that everyday. A bit more tasty than Weatabix ;)

Disagree.

Agreed.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Disagree. Bond has great taste in all foods and liquid courage. What is wrong with eggs on toast? You truly must be scrambled to think that's a bad breakfast choice.
    Green figs doesn't sound to tasty (FRWL I think), but eggs on toast is quite awesome
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Nothing wrong with it though I like Bond for who he is.
    Figs... I don't mind a cold slice of yesterday's pizza for breakfast but green figs? Nah. ;)
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Nothing wrong with it though I like Bond for who he is.

I'll be the first to admit that I've tried some weird foods and drinks just because Bond did it, lol
    Me, my girlfriend and the kids love scrambled eggs on toast too! Have to say that i have not tried green figs though? So with that said? I would have to say yes and no!
    Naw, don't agree. Scrambled eggs, toast, jam and marmalade, yoghurt, green figs, black coffee. There's something for everybody and Bond even tries to do as the locals do when the whim takes him. Much better taste than some.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited March 2012 Posts: 2,629
    Meh, unless Bond was eating a 10 egg bacon & cheese omelet with a five stack strawberry pancakes with whipped cream, I wouldn't be too critical of Bond's breakfast.

Now that this topic has been brought up, I wonder if anyone involved in DAF thought of the idea of Willard White serving Bond sausage for breakfast.
    edited March 2012 Posts: 23,650
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 063</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>John Glen made five surprisingly different and quite interesting Bond films.</b></font>
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Different films yes, interesting plots yes... but all with the same painfully dull cinematography.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Agree. His record is pretty good; he only made one truly crappy film (AVTAK). He got good performances out of an older and a younger Bond. And since he came out of second-unit photography, his stunts are some of the best photographed in the series.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Different films yes, interesting plots yes... but all with the same painfully dull cinematography.

Spot on Mr DaltonCraig.
    I find myself agreeing with you twice in two days. This really has got to stop.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 278

....indeed!! As I've said before in an eailer post on another debate, it's not until recently that Eon have employed people from a higher caliber in the departments of Cinematographer and other areas of the crew?!
    Alec Mills and Alan Hume were pretty middle of the road director of photography's, the late Adrian Biddle and now Roger Deakins on SF are of a much much higher caliber!!!!!
    John Glen comes from an old school kind of film making, and rarely stepped out of his comfort zone!!! Thus...worked with like wise folks?! Shame really because inparticular the likes of FYEO, TLD & LTK could of been oh so more stylish/better?, if Eon and Glen had broadened there scope and gone with the film making trends of the times, instead of just keeping the same old and do what we do and not move on, even just a little bit!!? :-B

.....add on.... Most of the stunt work cinematograph/2nd unit directors in John Glens films was done by either Arthur Wooster or Vic Armstrong!!, both not bad but neither of them top draw either?!?

What is it with people taking the words out of my mouth today?!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Kerim wrote:
    Meh, unless Bond was eating a 10 egg bacon & cheese omelet with a five stack strawberry pancakes with whipped cream, I wouldn't be too critical of Bond's breakfast.

Now that this topic has been brought up, I wonder if anyone involved in DAF thought of the idea of Willard White serving Bond sausage for breakfast.

That's funny! And they should have. I grew up enjoying Jimmy Dean's sausages.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2012 Posts: 12,459
    for this thesis (063 - John Glen): I basically agree. I enjoyed the films (well, except AVTAK) and won't quibble about the cinematography. He did well over a long span.
    0iker0 wrote:
    I think it's fighting with the OHMSS. I'm not sure, giving to it a thought my ski chases ranking would be:
    1) OHMSS
    2) FYEO
    3) TSWLM
    4)AVTAK

5) TWINE

Cant really argue with this ranking - just need to slot AVTAK right behind TSWLM but be sure to maintain the chasm to the shoddy TWINE scene.
    I'm sorry I forgot about the AVTAK, I'll change it now, stupid me...
    changed...
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 063</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>John Glen made five surprisingly different and quite interesting Bond films.</b></font>
    I liked the BOND films he made, LTK is the one I liked least because, as I have explained many times before, (if you have read my posts this post is finished if not continue...) It just feels like the old 80s american film where the cop is taken out of the case because it's too personal, but he continues with it and solves it with his own vendetta... It lacks Bond feeling... Much prefere AVTAK, I've always said that Moore doesn't look that old, and we wouldn't notice, if it wasn't due to his lightened hair in this movie. He had the same wrinkles in Octopussy and no one said a thing...