The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Benny wrote:
    I think George might have made a good Bond in a more faithful adaptation of TMWTGG

OH M GEE !! TMWTGG as it is now with Sir Rog is the best Bond film !! How dare you replace Moore with someone else ?? :-??

A more faithful adaptation of the novel would have resulted in a different film entirely, DC. ;-)

So a faithful TMWTGG adaptation and Moore's TMWTGG can coexist in the same franchise ? I'm fine with that !
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    To be fair I think most of us are still longing for that faithful adaptation of MR but I wouldn't want to lose the '79 film, for which I have a lot of love.
    Could have done without DAF altogether in my view. A soulless boring movie. Not sure Lazer would have made much difference. I think what this shows is that five movies is probably enough for most Bonds. Talk of eight for Craig is not only a fantasy but a bad idea.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Getafix wrote:
    Could have done without DAF altogether in my view. A soulless boring movie. Not sure Lazer would have made much difference. I think what this shows is that five movies is probably enough for most Bonds. Talk of eight for Craig is not only a fantasy but a bad idea.

DAF is a well deserved member of my top 3 Bond films ever ! Very Flemingesque, very memorable, fun, entertaining, tons of quotable lines and classic scenes... 10/10 IMO for DAF.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:

DAF is a well deserved member of my top 3 Bond films ever ! Very Flemingesque, very memorable, fun, entertaining, tons of quotable lines and classic scenes... 10/10 IMO for DAF.

@DC007, you have just met shadow Jr.
    Getafix wrote:

@DC007, you have just met shadow Jr.

Good god.

You weren't expecting me?!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Lazenby should have done another, certainly. That of course, may well have also been his last.
    Thank god Rog came along when he did.
  • Lazenby should absolutely have done another film. He should have done a sequel, a la QOS, where he tracks down Blofeld and kills him once and for all. Then if he wanted to leave so be it, at least we would have had two good films that conclude the Blofeld storyline and we can move on with Roger. Shame it didn't happen that way.
    what if brossa were to return now, a la connery in DAF? who'd like see that?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    George Lazenby should have done at least one more Bond film after OHMSS?

No, I have to disagree. I don't think he should have made one film (let alone return for any more). But I also think Connery should not have returned, and Moore should absolutely not have been cast, but that's for a different debate/thread.

No, I have to disagree. I don't think he should have made one film (let alone return for any more). But I also think Connery should not have returned, and Moore should absolutely not have been cast, but that's for a different debate/thread.

wow. controversial. i hope you're not one of the mods who slapped me down for having a go at brossa. if so, it would be a clear case of the pot calling the kettle black. rog is a legend who saved the series and will live forever in all our hearts. apart from yours, obviously.
    Getafix wrote:
    what if brossa were to return now, a la connery in DAF? who'd like see that?

I think Brosnan could have made 4 more films, in 2005, 2007. 2009. and 2012.

I don't think I've had such a huge disagreement with anyone in my life... Moore not cast ? Connery not returning ? sounds like nightmare to me...

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Getafix wrote:

wow. controversial. i hope you're not one of the mods who slapped me down for having a go at brossa. if so, it would be a clear case of the pot calling the kettle black. rog is a legend who saved the series and will live forever in all our hearts. apart from yours, obviously.

Nope that wasn't me. The mods all have different usernames and avatars (apart from the MI6 logo), if that helps. So long as we all play nice, and respect everyone's different opinion, there'll be no 'slapping down' as you put it.

As for Moore, I think him saving the series is a tad overpraise, imo. And a series without him, that's an instant improvement, again imo.
    And a series without him, that's an instant improvement, again imo.

I feel like... crying.

• edited December 2011 Posts: 11,425
    it would never have lasted this long without rog... and how can u not love his cardigans and safari suits. shame!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 005</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7> <b>George Lazenby should have done at least one more Bond film after OHMSS.</b></font>

I think in regards to Mr. Lazenby's career, he should not have quit after one time as Bond and should've done two as he later said he wished he had.

In regards to the series, it's been over 40 years and I kind of like both OHMSS and DAF as they stand now. OHMSS being a one time film for an actor kind of enhances its specialness and uniqueness in retrospect. I only wish DAF might've contained a few more direct references to Tracy and a more definite end for Blofeld but I believe FYEO's PTS kind of made up for that.

DD, could we have "Should Sean Connery have played Bond in OHMSS?" and "Should Timothy Dalton have played Bond in GE?" for future debates on this thread, please?

I would still like to see DAF with Lazenby to have a bit of continuity with Tracy's death.
    He should of done one more he HAS to be the most underrated bond
    Agreed! Most people find Lazenby extremely weak in OHMSS, including myself, but perhaps it is because it was his first Bond movie and he was already an inexperienced actor. Had he come back for DAF, maybe he would have understood how to play the role better and could have really blown us away with his second outing. Plus, since DAF's PTS is a follow-up to OHMSS, we needed Lazenby to really get the feel for Bond's hunt for Blofeld. Also, maybe DAF would have had some better action if given a younger Bond to work with.
    I would of loved to see Lazenby grow into the role. Could of been great
    Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!

Lazenby should have done AT THE LEAST one more film to round off the OHMSS-DAF storyline. George Lazneby's performance in OHMSS is a mixed bag for me, but given a few more films to 'find himself' I think he could have been a great Bond.
    without doubt GL should have done more. What a fool his agent was for telling him to get out as he believed it was all over for 007!

Never mind, the one he did do was a classic!
  • Said it before that it's a general pity in hindsight that George didn't feature in more 007 adventures after On Her Majestys', take his agent out of it then Lazenby may well have been a mainstay for Bond for the majority of the 1970s and into his late 30s but it's all a case of what might have been. I would of liked to have seen him in more than just his one appearance
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 1,778
    Absolutly. The ending of OHMSS told the audience that the story was far from over. As a fan they would've had my full and undivided attention for DAF. Instead they practically disregard OHMSS and give us a campy Bond film with a bloated and old looking Sean Conney. Connery is the man but he should've bowed out with YOLT. I'd love to have seen Savalas return aswell and give DAF are forever a proper ending with an emotional battle between Lazenby's Bond and Savalas' Blofeld.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Absolutly. The ending of OHMSS told the audience that the story was far from over. As a fan my they would've had my full and undivided attention for DAF. Instead they practically disregard OHMSS and give us a campy Bond film with a bloated and old looking Sean Conney. Connery is the man but he should've bowed out with YOLT. I'd love to have seen Savalas return aswell and give DAF are forever a proper ending with an emotional battle between Lazenby's Bond and Savalas' Blofeld.

Precisely!
  • You do have a point, a fresh young hungry and enthusiastic Lazenby with the right encouragement over a greedy money motivated lardy ageing Connery

No good crying over spilt milk though
  • Of course. Ol' George was screwed out of a great series arc between OHMSS and DAF...
    Absolutly. The ending of OHMSS told the audience that the story was far from over. As a fan they would've had my full and undivided attention for DAF. Instead they practically disregard OHMSS and give us a campy Bond film with a bloated and old looking Sean Conney. Connery is the man but he should've bowed out with YOLT. I'd love to have seen Savalas return aswell and give DAF are forever a proper ending with an emotional battle between Lazenby's Bond and Savalas' Blofeld.

Yes, this would have been better for DAF if both Lazenby and Savalas had returned. We would have remembered the events of OHMSS better and would have been satisfied with some closure on what Blofeld did to Tracy and even Bond. I like Connery in DAF at several moments, but you're right, YOLT should have been his last. In fact, maybe Lazenby could have come in early at YOLT, since Connery was obviously tired of Bond, given his sleepy, couldn't-care-less performance in YOLT. Think about Lazenby doing the three Bond movies of the "Blofeld Trilogy." This would have allowed us to follow it better and give it some continuity and consistency. After DAF, George could have left with three Bond movies to his name just in time for good ol' Roger Moore to come in for LALD.
  • @00Beast. I love the idea of a Blofeld trilogy with Lazenby.

I'm not the biggest fan of Lazenby but he would have been better than Connery in YOLT and if he would have done a proper DAF, we could have a great continuity for the Blofeld story. The producers really screwed up here imo.