The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• bond_azoozbondbond_azoozbond Portland,OR
    Hahaha .. CR67 was on my mind but then I was hopping we could see : James bond will returns in ...... At the end of SPECTRE .. That will makes them 26 for sure :) :) ..
    I consider NSNA as a bond movie with no doubt even though I dont like it the most .. So I would count it and add it with the rest .. I even watched it during my bond marathon back in 2012 and will do this years .. Now with CR67 Its not a bond movie in my opinion.. It doesn't have the bond elements and storyline ..

I remember when I first started to collect bond movies I found this one and it wasnt easy to get a copy of it this was before amazon .. Lol .. I asked some friends and they told me this is not a bond movie .. I said no it is .. When I saw it I didnt complete it and now its not included in my bond collection...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    No, there won't be. There will be 24 films, one piece of dog crap (CR67) and one train wreck created to hold onto some legal rights someone never deserved (NSNA).
  • RC7RC7
    No, there won't be. There will be 24 films, one piece of dog crap (CR67) and one train wreck created to hold onto some legal rights someone never deserved (NSNA).

+1

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I have to say when I do a Bond 'marathon', I always tend to throw CR67 and NSNA in the mix. CR67 comes right after TB and NSNA right after FYEO. Of course I acknowledge how different they are, especially CR67, but I guess I just like to remind myself of A) the missed opportunity that was CR67 and B) the labour of hatred that was NSNA. But while I have genuine love for some elements in CR67 (score, cast, sets), NSNA merely helps to appreciate OP even more. ;-)
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    the labour of hatred

Haha, nice turn of phrase.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited July 2015 Posts: 2,629
    There will be 24. Agent007391 nailed it. 50s TV films, Acid trip films and petty jealousy films do not count as Bond films.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    NSNA counts as a Bond film, of course.

A spoof does not.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    CR67 is still better than Diamonds Are Forever.
    M16_Cart wrote: »
    CR67 is still better than Diamonds Are Forever.

Keanu-Whoa.jpg

Disagree. 24 films OFFICIALLY. EON just now have complete ownership of the others.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    NSNA has been woven into the fabric of my consciousness from a very early age and cannot be dismissed that easily. It's an imposter with a familiar face. If it didn't have Connery I could easily join the ranks of its detractors. Not that i think it's great or anything. I know the history but can see the benefits of having it around. CR 67 is a bit of an oddity, to say the least. It's so bizarre that I can't really fit it inside the established cannon but it's worth seeing at some point. CR 54 is certainly an historic event but difficult to see any other value in it. So, 24 + an alternate/deleted scene if you ask me.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,554
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 334</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Hamilton's "henchman coda" scenes were redundant.</b></font>

For clarification, I'm talking about Kidd & Wint on the cruise boat, TeeHee on the train, NicNac on the yacht.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    No idea what that means!
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2015 Posts: 10,512
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    No idea what that means!

Their deaths.

(Meaning the final scene in which they meet their maker, not just the death itself).
    @Tokoloshe, I clarified. ;-)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2015 Posts: 17,810
    I'm writing something on that at the minute for the blog that will explain all of my views on the matter. I don't think that they were redundant at all though. They are a feature of noticeable feature of the last three of Guy Hamilton's Bond films, though and as such they are worthy of more study.
    Kind of agree. All copied from the last confrontation with Goldfinger.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I think the Wint and Kidd scene feels more essential than the other two. They had been a thorn in Bond's side for most of the film so the final confrontation provided some resolution. As much as I love the Tee Hee fight in LALD, it probably wasn't necessary. Same for TMWTGG.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Redundant, but fun.
    Disagree! If it means we get an extra bit of Bond action I say why not!
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I disagree! Have to tie up the loose ends. Otherwise, there will be a Bond movie in the future where TeeHee, Wint & Kidd, Nick Nack, etc team up to take down 007. But seriously, I've always appreciated the forgotten henchmen epilogue. It didn't work great with TMWTGG, but I liked it in DAF and LALD because those respective henchmen had not been seen on screen for a while and just when you forgot about them, they are back to create more trouble!
    I disagree! Have to tie up the loose ends. Otherwise, there will be a Bond movie in the future where TeeHee, Wint & Kidd, Nick Nack, etc team up to take down 007. But seriously, I've always appreciated the forgotten henchmen epilogue. It didn't work great with TMWTGG, but I liked it in DAF and LALD because those respective henchmen had not been seen on screen for a while and just when you forgot about them, they are back to create more trouble!

That's exactly the reason Guy Hamilton gives for these henchmen return endings on the UE DVD Commentary.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    The Wint & Kidd scene I think is quite necessary, allthough it misses out on the tention created in the book, where they are far more threatening. But still, I like it they did take the cruiseship in there too.
    Tee Hee was fine too. Only NicNac was quite unnesesary.
    The Wint & Kidd scene I think is quite necessary, allthough it misses out on the tention created in the book, where they are far more threatening. But still, I like it they did take the cruiseship in there too.
    Tee Hee was fine too. Only NicNac was quite unnesesary.

Yes, I agree that the Nick Nack climactic fight with Bond was more embarrassing than anything else, but that was bound to happen due to the difference in stature between Nick Nack and Bond. It was more played for laughs than the previous two as well, which never helps in a Bond film.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The train sequence in LALD is one of the best things in that movie because it gives Moore an iconic confrontation with a villain that resembles the one in FRWL.

Nick Nack's "fight" was ridiculous but why not. Better to have this than nothing at all.

Mr. Wint & Mr. Kidd's deaths are the most problematic and awful in any Bond movie, especially the dialogue. I absolutely hate it. And it contributes a great lot to DAF being the least good Bond movie by far.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Can't agree with the dialogue being terrible in the Wint&Kidd scene.

It's really quite fantastic- "Mouton Rothschild is a claret. And I've smelled that aftershave before and both times I've smelled a rat".

In fact, the dialogue for DAF may just be the funniest and wittiest in the series.
    Can't agree with the dialogue being terrible in the Wint&Kidd scene.

It's really quite fantastic- "Mouton Rothschild is a claret. And I've smelled that aftershave before and both times I've smelled a rat".

In fact, the dialogue for DAF may just be the funniest and wittiest in the series.

Very much agreed on both counts there! :)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @Dragonpol
    @MayDayDiVicenzo

Topic is the last encounter with the henchmen.
    I meant the the death scene and the last sentence of Bond after Mr. Wint goes overboard and explodes. Easily the worst in the whole series. Just appalling, I won't even repeat it.

Of course anything else in DAF is hilarious and DAF just might be the Bond with the funniest lines in it.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited August 2015 Posts: 5,080
    "He certainly left with his tails between his legs", hardly the worst in the series (I like it, actually).

"I thought Christmas only comes once a year", now there's the worst.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 17,810
    The "henchman coda" scenes merely means the whole of the last sequence in the film not just the henchman death. That's what take the thesis title to mean and no doubt many others here would agree with me. We are in effect supposed to analyse the whole scene from beginning to end, something I will do with my new blog article soon.