The First Person Shooter: Campaign or a Movie?

edited December 2011 in 007 Gaming Posts: 5,745
The modern FPS game, like Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3, Medal of Honor, Killzone 3, etc. etc. are all big sellers because of their interactive multiplayer game modes. The accessibility the world now has to the internet has made these video games the franchises to beat in the gaming world. Some franchises even grossing more than films!

With the basic fact that a very select group of these games' community actually play through the entire campaign that is also included on the game, why have a campaign mode?

These games are obviously marketed for their multiplayer interactivity with people worldwide, and the campaign is a quickly dying thing.

So the question is, why not make an animated movie instead? I, personally, would love to see a 1-2 hour movie at the start of a big war game to set up whats happening, and then go and kill my friends.

Especially with the Bond series of games, most recently with Goldeneye: Reloaded, they've marketed their multiplayer when the Bond games used to be ONLY campaign. I would love a mini Bond movie, where it could be over the top and get away with unlike the films. Would you rather have campaign or a movie + multiplayer?

Or you could have both..
QBranch wrote:
Never replace the campaign mode with a movie. Instead, keep the campaign mode, and include a short film to set up the multiplayer mode.

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    WHAT?! Heck no.
    Yikes! You'll wake the neighbors!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,926
    Never replace the campaign mode with a movie. Instead, keep the campaign mode, and include a short film to set up the multiplayer mode.
    QBranch wrote:

Maybe I feel as retarded as a tree stump now. I'm gonna add that in ;)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,926
    Now, that's much better! ;) When you must decide between two great choices, screw the rules- TAKE BOTH! :-bd
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 127
    There needs to be a campaign mode. What would you do when you want to go play an old game that is no longer supported online? I think every game should include split screen. That is all :)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm sick of multiplayer. It's fun for a couple hours a day, maybe for five days, but after that it all comes down to the most repetitive thing in the world: run, shoot, kill. They alleviated this somewhat with capture the flag and such other modes, but they've never made MP any more fun. It all boils down to those three words: run, shoot, kill. Maybe you get another objective, but what do you do between start point and objective? Run, shoot, kill.

Campaign needs to be the focus, which I honestly think it was with GoldenEye (and definitely was with Blood Stone). Otherwise, what use is the campaign? They could replace the campaign with a movie, and far too many people would be none the wiser.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If there is no longer a solo campaign, I am done playing video games.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350

The more games I play the more I realise the solo campaign comes across as just an afterthought today. It's such a shame, Call of Duty shouldn't even bother with one if it can be completed in five hours.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

I guess in two or three years time, you won't be playing FPS anymore.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The more games I play the more I realise the solo campaign comes across as just an afterthought today. It's such a shame, Call of Duty shouldn't even bother with one if it can be completed in five hours.

It is just an afterthought. Developers sit in their offices and say to each other "We can't alienate the solo players, so let's toss together what amounts to thirty minutes of plot to be placed in between our two-two and half hour shooting session, then let's pour two years development time into a multiplayer experience that hasn't changed in five years so we can't add anything to the genre. Hey! Our game got to a billion a day ahead of Avatar!"

I only use Activision here because they are the biggest offenders.
  • Don't get rid of the campaign. On some FPS its the only good part because online is full of experts who do nothing else.
    Don't get rid of the campaign. On some FPS its the only good part because online is full of experts who do nothing else.

This is true, and since most online games don't change (only minor improvements here and there), their skill from one game carries over to the next, even though their level does not. Not to mention the campers. Grrr... Campers and snipers... I hate the lot of them. You should have the balls to look a man's avatar in the face when you pull the trigger (or at least be two inches away from his back).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I think FPS games like half life, Battlefield bad company 2, modern warfare 1 and 3, he even crysis 2 and the fear series are good examples as to why campaign won't be going away. Its true some games don't give a crap about solo missions and the focus is on the multiplayer but sometimes, a good campaign just can't be beaten.
    Some games, I refuse to go mp for such as MGS or adventure games like unchartered. I love the experience and the personal involvement of a good campaign, I tend to appreciate a game more that way.
    doubleoego wrote:
    modern warfare 1 and 3

Only 1 and 3? Not 2? And what about Black Ops? That had the best COD story in... ever.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    MW2 was a good game but not as good as 1 and 3 imo and BO bored the crap out of me.
    I liked the interesting conspiracy/mystery of Black Ops.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 127
    COD is a joke. Same thing every release with a few changes. That franchise has taken FPS and made it a side show where no longer is the focus gun vs gun. Now the thing is to camp to get the perks to use the airstrikes, UAV, etc... Heck even horrible players have been rewarded with perks in MW3 for doing nothing but sucking.

COD needs to get back to the basics of FPS where camping isn't being rewarded with BS perks and it is about my gun vs your gun. COD is so broke!! It makes me rage more than any other game out there, what a joke. Bottom line if there wasn't kill streak perks people wouldn't camp so much to get kill streaks.
    Well, if COD didn't reward campers, than 97% of COD players would stop playing because their fun has been taken away.

There are still a few traditional players on COD (me included).
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 127
    I jumped on MW3 yesterday for kicks. ON the Resistence map in Team Deathmatch the entire enemy team set up in one housing area and positioned themselves to camp the house for the entire game. One guy was camped looking out the front door, a guy in the living room area to his left, a dude camped in the kitchen, and a dude up top the hole in the floor behind it so if you walked up he was waiting. Prime example why COD blows. People love to camp by the patio areas too, rediculous.
    I was playing MW3 on Monday, and, I forget which map, but nothing but campers. I was the only moving target (and thus, the only kill).