Was Brosnan's best Bond 'The Tailor of Panama'?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Personally, I feel Brosnan's best non-Bond film was 'The Tailor of Panama', with extremely honorable mentions to 'The Matador,' 'Seraphim Falls,' 'The Thomas Crown Affair,' and 'Married Life.' Brosnan was too risqué and sexual to be seen as Bond in 'The Tailor of Panama,' but he did play an excellent spy.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think he was fine in TTOP but not Bondian, no.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 371
    I've liked most of his non Bond stuff, TTOP and Thomas Crown particular favourites, but he always struck me as a bit of a retired Bond in After the Sunset, something to do with the way he really seemed to enjoy the finer things in life, I really enjoyed that one.
    The Matador is Brosnan's best non-Bond role IMO. A cracking little indie film. Panana is good also. Met the Director's son Charley Boorman recently. A thouroughly nice chap he is too
    @LeChiffre, I love The Matador. Brosnan is so outrageous and flamboyant in the film, and his little back and forth banter with Kinnear is some excellent material. Really glad they put the film on blu-ray; they must have known how bad I wanted it.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I do think that Brosnan's best Bond-ish performance is in TTOP. He seems so relaxed in a Connery or Moore kind of way.
    fourth protocol.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Still think TTOP is Brosnan's best turn as a spy. His new movies will be interesting to see though.
    I don't think TTOP was his best Bond, in fact in the movie (which is great) Brosnan plays the anti-Bond.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't think TTOP was his best Bond, in fact in the movie (which is great) Brosnan plays the anti-Bond.

He is so much better on TTOP than as Bond. Incredible really. Like two different actors.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2014 Posts: 17,836

Indeed it was based on a John Le Carré novel after all, so how could it be anything other than anti-Bond?
    He was most certainly anti-Bond in TTOP, but his personality in it is exactly what Brosnan wanted to bring to the Bond films, and was never given the chance: brutality, gritty aspects, the sex and the blood and the cigarettes, all of it. I believe Brosnan would've loved playing Bond like Craig is now a lot more than what he had to work with in GE - DAD.
    @Birdleson, like an older Bond? I like the thought of that. Well past his prime, foul-mouthed, completely out of his mind due to all of the booze and smoking and sex, and he's pushed away everyone around him to the point that he just wants a good friend.
    May be Brosnan had a decent Bond performance in him waiting to come out, but he certainly never delivered it on the screen.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Getafix wrote: »
    May be Brosnan had a decent Bond performance in him waiting to come out, but he certainly never delivered it on the screen.

I thought he was more than decent in GE and TWINE at the very least.
    My favourite line in The Tailor of Panama is when he exclaims 'cunt!'. Wouldn't get Bond saying that
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Indeed it was based on a John Le Carré novel after all, so how could it be anything other than anti-Bond?

Indeed. It may be his best role, but Brosnan certainly did not play Bond in it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2014 Posts: 15,692
    'The Matador' is what I'd imagine Brosnan's Bond would do after he retires from MI6. So I would put this film ahead of 'Tailor of Panama' for Brosnan's most Bondian performance outside of Bond movies.

... Brosnan's most Bondian performance outside of Bond movies.

Not Remmington Steele?

Just joking - I assume you were restricting yourself to feature films.
    A lot of his performances pre-Bond were preparing him to become Bond.
    Yes - he was pretty laconic in a proto-bond way in The Fourth Protocal
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Anon wrote: »
    ... Brosnan's most Bondian performance outside of Bond movies.

Not Remmington Steele?

Just joking - I assume you were restricting yourself to feature films.

Yep, I was talking films only :) But yes, Remingston Steel is definately very Bondian
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I would say no because he doesn't see Bondian in the film. In my opinion Brosnan's best Bond was GoldenEye.
    TTOP showed Brosnan could have been a decent Bond.
    edited August 2014 Posts: 15,692
    TTOP showed Brosnan could have been a decent Bond.

I really can't wait for November Man. Seems like the serious spy flick Brosnan never got to do as Bond.
    The other thread reminded me of this old one. Still think TTOP is one of Brosnan's best performances.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I did not know about this thread.

Yes, I think it was one of his best performances. The arrogant, charming, non-caring, insensitive persona that he brought to Osnard was very believable and suited Brosnan. He let his hair down for this one. You almost got the feeling he was sending a message to the Bond producers: "Let me be this way for Bond!!"

I think he attempted to capture the essence of this portrayal in his next stab as Bond, in the early parts of DAD, and it worked. It was most apparent in his carefree, confident, almost arrogant early intro interactions with Jinx at the beach (if that was not James Bond, I don't know who is).

Sadly, Brosnan's tenure was over with DAD, so we will never know if he could have replicated more of this performance in his 'Bond persona'. Shame
    Pushee wrote: »
    Of course, his finest performance can be enjoyed in Taffin, where he proceeds to deliver the greatest line in the entire history of film:

I can't think of any other Bond who has had a scene-quite as great as that. Legendary!
    The other thread reminded me of this old one. Still think TTOP is one of Brosnan's best performances.

His best performance, I think. Because he played the anti-Bond. And for once he did not play the poor man's Bond, as he used to before he became Bond.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Don't know if this is being discussed elsewhere but I thought Pierce Brosnan
    Was terrific in The November man. An older, darker Bond in many ways.