Walt Disney Frights

edited December 2011 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,341
Remember all those wholesome stories that Disney brought to us as children? Such cute lovable characters and cartoons.
Maybe it's just me but old Walt could come up with some pretty frightening and lots of violence in his "family oriented material". It was always rated G but face it there were some pretty nasty stuff even for grown-ups. Name some of the times when Walt Disney scared and traumatized us as children.
My "gallery of shame"
The evil Queen's death in Snow White
Ol Yeller getting rabies and having to be shot dead by the son (this upset many children)
Bambi's mom being killed by hunters
The one that really traumatized me was the scene depicting the banshee, coiste-bodhur, and dullahan from Darby O'Gill and the Little People (film featured a young Sean Connery but I would never watch the earlier described scene in the dark) and this was intended for children??
Can you think of any Disney frights?

Comments

• SharkShark Banned
    FANTASIA's got some pretty dark moments, notably in the NIGHT ON A BARE MOUNTAIN segment.
  • I never remember being scared as a kid watching Disney movies, but I watch them now and am kind of shocked at some of the stuff that's in them.

@Shark: I just rewatched Fantasia and noticed that on the Bald Mountain part, there is a naked female banshee with nipples. Nipples!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I haven't seen anything frightening- but rather disturbing controversial things in the form of subliminal messages in Disney films. I'm not naive or gullible, but there seems to be too many 'coincidences' for my liking. In fact, Disney themselves have actually admitted to it, and then there's the proof...
    For me....

*Pinocchio: it just sacred the living #%[> out of me.... From memory it was the boy turning into a donkey that did it
    * Dumbo had SOMETHING but I haven't seen it in like 11 years so I can't rember.
    * Oliver and co. Sykes used to freak me out!!!
    * BATB Xmas thing: The Damn Organ!!!!!!
    & the lion king scar singing "be prepared" still sends shivers down my spine....

(yes I did grow up on disney, didn't every child in the 90's? Why you give (proper) Disney to a 6 month old (especially Pinocchio!!!) is beyond me....
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 816
    That drunk dream in Dumbo always creeped me out, as well as them building the circus tent in the thick rain for some reason....