Zombies - what have you not seen that you would like to?

HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
edited December 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 4,399
I ask this question, because a buddy of mine and I are trying to pen our own story / script for a zombie flick... so far we've come up with a pretty good foundation for the actual story, but we are looking at ways we could freshen up this dead horse known as the living dead..... what sort of cliche's should we stay away from, or what aspects about zombies haven't been exposed enough?... or what else could we add, that might not be a part of the mythos....

good ideas i hope are forth coming :)

Comments

• WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    regular zombies are fine, but what about some mutant ones? Have you ever played Left For Dead? There are a few special infected or so they are called any way.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2011 Posts: 4,399
    regular zombies are fine, but what about some mutant ones? Have you ever played Left For Dead? There are a few special infected or so they are called any way.

intentionally mutated ones, almost like in Resident Evil?.. or just a natural mutation over time? - like a virus strain when exposed to itself gets stronger sort of deal..

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited December 2011 Posts: 7,854
    Yeah, Special Infected are great, but outside of an actual CG Left 4 Dead movie (which, with the quality of their opening CG, Valve could easily make and it would rock), I don't think anything other than standard zombies would work.

Airports are almost untouched in zombie movies (though I have yet to see Quarantine 2 yet), so zombies in an airport would be great to see. (Oh, and WW, before you say anything, I know there's a stage in Left 4 Dead that takes place in an airport :) )

Can we please get a Hispanic main character who isn't eventually a bad guy? Cholo in Land of the Dead was okay, but he turned out to be a minor bad guy (which I hated).

Let's please not have a "found footage" type of movie (Quarantine, REC, Diary of the Dead, The Zombie Diaries). Granted, the aforementioned examples were good, but the "found footage" genre is doing zombies to death (the aforementioned examples all came out within 2 years of each other).

More to come as I comb over my long list of things I'd like to see in a zombie movie (and trust me, I've seen [and own] a lot of zombie movies/games/comics/novels).
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Yeah, Special Infected are great, but outside of an actual CG Left 4 Dead movie (which, with the quality of their opening CG, Valve could easily make and it would rock), I don't think anything other than standard zombies would work.

Airports are almost untouched in zombie movies (though I have yet to see Quarantine 2 yet), so zombies in an airport would be great to see. (Oh, and WW, before you say anything, I know there's a stage in Left 4 Dead that takes place in an airport :) )

Can we please get a Hispanic main character who isn't eventually a bad guy? Cholo in Land of the Dead was okay, but he turned out to be a minor bad guy (which I hated).

Let's please not have a "found footage" type of movie (Quarantine, REC, Diary of the Dead, The Zombie Diaries). Granted, the aforementioned examples were good, but the "found footage" genre is doing zombies to death (the aforementioned examples all came out within 2 years of each other).

More to come as I comb over my long list of things I'd like to see in a zombie movie (and trust me, I've seen [and own] a lot of zombie movies/games/comics/novels).

no, we feel we got something pretty good here that breaks away from stereotypical and cliche' settings... but am not at liberty to discuss any further until we get it copyrighted :)

• funny i watched Resident Evil 4, Drive and Senna last night. Resident Evil has had a bad press by the critics but fans love the movies. I love 'em too.

28 days had fast running zombies which made them different.

I'd like to see Zombies that still have their personal characteristics/prejudices intact. Obvious ones are race prejudices, sexual prejudice but even more than that - I want gay zombies - and gay hating zombies, muslim hating zombies, christian hating zombies, food snob zombies, valley girl zombies etc. You get the idea.

funny i watched Resident Evil 4, Drive and Senna last night. Resident Evil has had a bad press by the critics but fans love the movies. I love 'em too.

28 days had fast running zombies which made them different.

I'd like to see Zombies that still have their personal characteristics/prejudices intact. Obvious ones are race prejudices, sexual prejudice but even more than that - I want gay zombies - and gay hating zombies, muslim hating zombies, christian hating zombies, food snob zombies, valley girl zombies etc. You get the idea.

if i were doing a satirical comedy with zombies - then i'd be all over that lol...

but we are doing this one seriously... very The Walking Dead style - where the story is more about the people than zombie gore... we are just looking at undead conventions that we could possibly expand on, or add to.

• one for me is that they still can have children = a dead thing giving birth to a living thing now that is funky.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Return of the Living Dead.
    HASEROT wrote:
    we are doing this one seriously... very The Walking Dead style - where the story is more about the people than zombie gore...

Good! The Walking Dead is the best zombie anything out there right now (I love the comic, and right now am eagerly awaiting the second half of the second season so that I can see what happens next), we need more of that!
    edited December 2011 Posts: 4,399
    thank you..... when i write, whether it's just a stupid fic that no one will see, or it's for a future film project - i am very conscious about story and plot above anything else... trying to shoehorn something in that doesn't belong could really undercut the natural progression of the story - which is why i am a big proponent of action scenes or anything like that being derived from the natural situation, or the plot... not creating an spectacular scene, then trying to cram it into a story for the sake of having it, and trying to connect the dots with the plot.... i dont like that, and it feels very unnatural, and turns out looking that way too..

zombies in our story, are mainly an excuse to get our characters from point A, to point B, to point C and so on... the real story is about the interaction between our characters, and their struggle for survival, not how much zombie gore can be thrown mindlessly at the screen.
    I'd like a story where the zombies have actually won, no more living people left to infect. What'd they do?

Or a story where they moulder away but remain mentally functioning, intelligent zombies kind of. And tell the story from their POV, with the hero fighting to keep his limbs while he's decaying, maybe searching for a cure against rotting. As they can't die any more they'd be immortal effectively.
    HASEROT wrote:
    zombies in our story, are mainly an excuse to get our characters from point A, to point B, to point C and so on... the real story is about the interaction between our characters, and their struggle for survival, not how much zombie gore can be thrown mindlessly at the screen.

That's what a good zombie story is. Even if you look at it from a realistic point of view, zombies may be dangerous, but they're more of a hinderance than an actual menace. You can't make any zombie story (as long as the zombies aren't intelligent, that is) where a bunch of dead people are just walking around for the hell of it, it wouldn't work and, as much as I love to see awesome zombies, they need to take a back seat to the living people struggling to live in a world of the undead.

Now for advertising! For your reading pleasure, please visit http://stories.dreamfantastic.com/undeadexplosion

It's my zombie story site.
    had to shamelessly plug your story didnt ya?!?!?! lol :)

i'll check it out for sure..
    Can you blame me? Very few people who aren't just spambots actually read my site.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I heard that with the upcoming 'World War Z' film that there is supposed to be this massive scene where all of these ships are docked on a beach, ready to pick up survivors, when this massive, MASSIVE horde of zombies catches up with them, and it's complete and utter insanity on the screen. I hope they keep this in the film - that, or I hope I didn't misread it and this is for some totally different film.

Either way, big, massive zombie attack on screen.
    I just can't wait until World War Z comes out. I loved the book.
    bump
    Well, there's something for the first post in weeks.
    I want to see a film about zombies ... from the zombies' point of view.
    I've read stories from a zombie's point of view (and even written a few short snippets of the like), and they don't turn out that good.
    Doesn't mean they can't be good ...
    zombies are essentially one dimensional mindless machines, with no functioning brain capacity.. who only live to eat..

what point of view would they really have? lol
    Okay, you write it a few years after the zombie apocalypse, where the zombies have taken control of the earth and there are only a few pockets of human resistance. The zombies have started developing a culture and a language of their own (they speak English; the humans are unintelligble to them), and we get the beginnings of a zombie society. However, human raids are a real threat, and the zombies must withstand their constant attacks.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 23,545
    Zombies - what have you not seen that you would like to?

I'm a huge fan of The Night Of The Living Dead, Dawn Of The Dead and 28 Days Later. I've a few of those good old fashioned late-'70s / early-'80s Italian zombie flicks in my collection. I studied zombies through multiple books (can't believe I write this straight-faced :P). All I can say is I just want a darn good zombie film, even if it's loaded with clichés. I can't think of something specifically that I've never seen and would like to see.

DarthDimi wrote:
    I studied zombies through multiple books (can't believe I write this straight-faced :P).

You can't believe you said that straight-faced? I'm a zombiholic myself, with probably over a hundred items total with movies, books, video games, comics, ebooks... Hell, The Walking Dead alone probably pushes it there, as I've all 92 issues, and the first trade paperback, and the first season of the TV series.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 23,545
    Well sir, in that case I certainly recommend you dig into some serious essays on the Romero films and such. :P It's great fun to build a science around zombies. All I know is my colleagues give me bug eyes when they see me read zombie-related stuff and my pupils apparently think I have a few screws loose. ;-)
    Oh, believe me, I have. I even read through the CDC's "Zombie apocalypse survival" report.
    Oh, believe me, I have. I even read through the CDC's "Zombie apocalypse survival" report.

This stuff should be taught in school! =D
    Yes it should. Not even in a joking manner, either, that's all good advice no matter what type of horrible situation you're facing.
  • mutant zombie clowns