'Tis the season to be drinking: what to drink during Christmastime?

2»

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Been sick so haven't drunk any alcohol in a week or so. I hope to get better before Christmas. Right now I'm only drinking tea (but a M&S' Christmas tea, so that's still seasonal).

What's different about the Christmas tea, @Ludovico? Sounds like one for the Tea Thread!
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Been sick so haven't drunk any alcohol in a week or so. I hope to get better before Christmas. Right now I'm only drinking tea (but a M&S' Christmas tea, so that's still seasonal).

What's different about the Christmas tea, @Ludovico? Sounds like one for the Tea Thread!

There's like spices in it. Like cinnamon and gingerbread. I need to check the label, but basically it tastes Christmassee.

There's like spices in it. Like cinnamon and gingerbread. I need to check the label, but basically it tastes Christmassee.

Ah, yes. I thought it might be something like that though I'm very rarely ever in M&S. I've even seen biscuit flavoured tea so there are certain many possibilities regarding tea nowadays!
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 14,816
    Right now it's all I can drink. That and energy drink, 7up and well, dreaded water. But hey, 'teas the season to be drinking, as they say.
    Right now it's all I can drink. That and energy drink, 7up and well, dreaded water. But hey, 'teas the season to be drinking, as they say.

Don't forget the milk! Hope you feel better soon.

Don't forget the milk! Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks. Yeah milk should be okay.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    It's very rare I drink spirits so it was Cider for me last night and certainly feeling it today, I rarely drink these days so my tolerance is low.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    We (my wife, her sister and me) just started our Christmas Eve celebration (in Germany, this is traditionally the night to celebrate and exchange gifts...although followed by two Christmas holidays) by sharing a bottle of champagne. Not an expensive one, but it's still something special. Once the roast goose is served (in about two hours), we'll move on to a 2016 Saint-Emilion Grand Cru, and the dinner will probably be capped by either a nice Calvados or a wee bit o' Talisker. Merry Christmas everybody!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    A fine Christmas evening Merry Christmas @j_w_pepper and family!

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Thank you, @RichardTheBruce ! Same to you and yours.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    We (my wife, her sister and me) just started our Christmas Eve celebration (in Germany, this is traditionally the night to celebrate and exchange gifts...although followed by two Christmas holidays) by sharing a bottle of champagne. Not an expensive one, but it's still something special. Once the roast goose is served (in about two hours), we'll move on to a 2016 Saint-Emilion Grand Cru, and the dinner will probably be capped by either a nice Calvados or a wee bit o' Talisker. Merry Christmas everybody!
    Oh nice so you're celebrating in the early morning, like the French's Réveillon? We do it like that when we're in Québec with my family, eating a turkey eith stufging, meat pies and other stuff. But as we are staying in England this year we celebrate during daytime on the 25th. Hopefully I'll have recovered from whatever I have so I can drink alcohol.
    Oh nice so you're celebrating in the early morning, like the French's Réveillon? We do it like that when we're in Québec with my family, eating a turkey eith stufging, meat pies and other stuff. But as we are staying in England this year we celebrate during daytime on the 25th. Hopefully I'll have recovered from whatever I have so I can drink alcohol.

Uhm, no...we are celebrating (or rather celebrated by now) in the evening of Christmas Eve (CET, i.e. UTC +1). Doesn't mean we generally rule out getting together with relatives etc. on the following two days, but the night of Christmas Eve (local time) is the traditional occasion over here.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Uhm, no...we are celebrating (or rather celebrated by now) in the evening of Christmas Eve (CET, i.e. UTC +1). Doesn't mean we generally rule out getting together with relatives etc. on the following two days, but the night of Christmas Eve (local time) is the traditional occasion over here.

Merry Christmas. My ex girlfriend just went back to Leipzig to spend the holidays with her family; whereabouts in Germany are you located?
    @NickTwentyTwo

I live about 30 kms south of Hamburg, which may explain why I have fonder feelings for TND than most others seem to have.

Ah OK. Merry Christmas in any case. And to all of you.

I'm being careful as I had fever last night. So far I only drank water and Coca-Cola.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 8,685

Ah OK. Merry Christmas in any case. And to all of you.

I'm being careful as I had fever last night. So far I only drank water and Coca-Cola.
    All the best and Merry Christmas to you. And get well soon. There seem to be a lot of people around here who are catching some bacterial or (non-Covid) viral infection these days. But it is probably just more conspicuous after the last two flu seasons basically didn't materialize, as the people were wearing masks that also protected them against influenza and pneumococcus and the like. Even the common cold.
    Thanks. I'm better now. Still coughing, but I can drink.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2023 Posts: 23,325
    One of my friends gave me a bottle of Rum Liqueur for Christmas that she made herself, it is not something I usually drink. it is delicious though it has blown my head off and I have only had two small glasses.
    I haven't bought as much booze as I usually would, but im okay. I've got Winter Royal, some white wine, a few bottles of Rebellion Red, one bottle of mulled wine and Bucks Fizz. Mulled wine and Bucks Fizz are the only two alcohols my wife genuinely loves.

And talking of mulled wine, I got one today that tasted of cough syrup.
    I am not a big drinker so rarely have alcohol at home, I will likely buy a selection of lagers and ciders today.

I am trying to recall the last time I drank wine possibly not since before the pandemic.

I opt to drink red wine or have done in the past, usually a Merlot.
    I am not a Whisky drinker as it does not agree with me, though I have just received this as a gift, I will drink with caution.

71t5fYU3-dL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    I am not a Whisky drinker as it does not agree with me, though I have just received this as a gift, I will drink with caution.

Christmas with Jack ain't so bad.

Christmas with Jack ain't so bad.

I may try one of them later, I have never had Apple JD before.
    I have my first glass of Shloer last night. It's heady stuff!
    The Apple JD tastes pretty good, glad it is a small bottle as this would be very easy to drink.