Babs Broccoli says she is "open" to Bond possibly being non-binary in the future

123457»

Comments

• KenAustinKenAustin United States
    LOL hopefully we have plenty of notice so those of us who aren't interested in the narrative or agenda can skip theaters for that release
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Yes, I imagine it was just chaff to deflect the media.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's a Dailymail article, fellas. Let's not grant it too much credibility, shall we.
  • I thought the original article was from Fox? Wait...not like that’s any better.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I thought the original article was from Fox? Wait...not like that’s any better.

I think the link was originally Fox, but then was changed to The Daily Mail to... improve the credibility of the article?

Shame that this thread is still on Page 1. I realize I'm not doing myself any favours by posting this.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The whole purpose of this thread was to clutch pearls over “THE WOKE AGENDAAAA” *apocalyptic music*
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    She's just being tactful. Say a perceived wrong thing these days and it can have very unpleasant ramifications.

As JK Rowling discovered, even though she was stating fact...
  • Bond is a male heterosexual. Doesnt need to change from that very specific characteristic.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    She's just being tactful. Say a perceived wrong thing these days and it can have very unpleasant ramifications.

+1
  • I thought the original article was from Fox? Wait...not like that’s any better.

I think the link was originally Fox, but then was changed to The Daily Mail to... improve the credibility of the article?

Shame that this thread is still on Page 1. I realize I'm not doing myself any favours by posting this.

I think the fact that the thread exists is a shame to begin with. Who in the right mind would honestly believe any of what was said, given its sources?

I think the fact that the thread exists is a shame to begin with. Who in the right mind would honestly believe any of what was said, given its sources?

People just want to stir things up.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2022 Posts: 14,861

I wonder how many people commenting have actually listened to the podcast where Ms Broccoli says this?
    I have.

I think the title of this thread indicates a bit of disrespect on somebody's part. "Babs" Broccoli? I thought her given name was "Barbara"...
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,518

I think the title of this thread indicates a bit of disrespect on somebody's part. "Babs" Broccoli? I thought her given name was "Barbara"...

As I said, people just want to stir up things.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Being open to Bond possibly being non-binary, is also being open to Bond possibly being not non-binary.

--Mallory

It's sad when people do that. Most people who call her 'Babs' do so not to be cute, but to look down upon her, at least that's my impression.

I agree. Cancel culture has always been a thing, but social media have facilitated certain hysterics. The real problem is that film studios and actors somehow feel compelled to play along, while they're almost always catering to a loud but relatively low-numbered fraction of their "fans". Rowling is one tragic example of this, James Gunn another. The latter is especially embarrassing since Disney didn't want anything to do with him at first, and then realised they need him for the $$ he brings.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    DarthDimi wrote: »

It's sad when people do that. Most people who call her 'Babs' do so not to be cute, but to look down upon her, at least that's my impression.

I agree. Cancel culture has always been a thing, but social media have facilitated certain hysterics. The real problem is that film studios and actors somehow feel compelled to play along, while they're almost always catering to a loud but relatively low-numbered fraction of their "fans". Rowling is one tragic example of this, James Gunn another. The latter is especially embarrassing since Disney didn't want anything to do with him at first, and then realised they need him for the $$ he brings.

Or maybe Ms Broccoli actually means what she says and does believe in what she’s doing. I don’t think we should presume that the only option is that she’s playing these things lip service just to keep a minority quiet.
    mtm wrote: »

Or maybe Ms Broccoli actually means what she says and does believe in what she’s doing. I don’t think we should presume that the only option is that she’s playing these things lip service just to keep a minority quiet.

I'm sure that is indeed the case.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2022 Posts: 5,921

Rowling is one tragic example of this

Wait for the end:

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I watched an SNL sketch that someone posted about Robert Durst yesterday: it only added to the confirmation in my mind that there has never been, to my knowledge, a funny SNL sketch. The cowbell one was perhaps the closest I've seen, but went on for about a week.
  • KenAustinKenAustin United States
    mtm wrote: »
    I watched an SNL sketch that someone posted about Robert Durst yesterday: it only added to the confirmation in my mind that there has never been, to my knowledge, a funny SNL sketch. The cowbell one was perhaps the closest I've seen, but went on for about a week.

I've never liked SNL...acting out flavor of the day skits has never been funny to me, especially when they take on long term political themes, it comes off as hate versus comedy in my opinion
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh I like satire, I just haven't seen SNL do it amusingly.
    SNL has been doing all that since day one.

The funniest example is Donald Trump suddenly slamming the show for making fun of him, when the show had already been making sketches about him since the 1980s with Phil Hartman. But then again he’s just a full blown moron.
    SNL has been doing all that since day one.

The funniest example is Donald Trump suddenly slamming the show for making fun of him, when the show had already been making sketches about him since the 1980s with Phil Hartman. But then again he’s just a full blown moron.

I've never understood the appeal of SNL. I laugh maybe once or twice in episodes of what? an hour long?

And agreed about trump, but let's leave him out of our discussions. ;-)
    I grew up on it through reruns on Comedy Central. My favorite years were 1986-2002. So much talent came out of those years (as well as non-talent).

SNL hasn’t come close to those peak years since, which is why many people just wait for YouTube to upload the winners so they don’t have to sit through all 90 minutes with hits and misses.