Babs Broccoli says she is "open" to Bond possibly being non-binary in the future

Comments

• edited December 2021 Posts: 3,564
    Seve wrote: »
    Unless your oculist is off on the topic of rape, in which case we may want to consider the testimony of Miss Fearing in the movie version of Thunderball.
    What Miss Fearing says in a "movie" version is irrelevant to what the character of "book" Bond may have gotten up to.

That's funny, I thought the topic at hand here was what Barbara Broccoli was willing to offer in terms of the character of James Bond. Sorta by definition we're talking about the movie version of Bond.
  • Seve wrote: »
    No, it has as much effect as the cinema going public decide it does

You're really going to have to make up your mind here: are we or are we not talking about the movie version of James Bond?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Why do you double/triple post? What’s the point of this ellipsis?

In fact what’s the point of any of this runaround? No one’s opinions will be changed. The dumpster fire that is the “who would/should be a bond actor” has spilled over into this thread; the very title should indicate to all comers that it isn’t worth anyones time.

Yet every once in awhile it’s hard to look away. Like a train wreck.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    This idea that changing Bond's race is no different to changing his hair colour...doesn't that completely discount and dismiss a black person's 'lived experience' at one stroke? I'm not sure it'd be wise to tell a black guy that his race and the things he's faced because of it are as superficial as someone else's hair colour.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2021 Posts: 14,951
    mtm wrote: »
    My point about Bond’s cultural background not affecting his ability to ride a hovercraft gondola was a glib but apposite attempt to point out that Bond’s cultural background has very little affect on the person we see onscreen punching baddies and kissing girls.
    As he's never been portrayed on screen as anything other than a "white upper middle class male" how can you know that?

See my point about the hovercraft gondola. His cultural background had very little impact on his ability to press that little red switch, as it has done on 90% else of what he gets up to.
    How do I know what impact his race has on his ability to kiss girls and punch baddies? I'm not sure how that's a serious question. Non-white people being famously unable to punch or kiss 8-|
    Moneypenny or Felix can change race and experience no change in attitudes, because...
    ...they are rather underdeveloped characters in the first place, so present a relatively blank canvass to work with

I hate to break it to you, but Bond ain't exactly complex.
    However one of your issues was "that other characters in the movie should continue to treat him in the same way that they would a white upper middle class male, presenting some sort of idealised World which doesn't actually exist?"... doesn't seem to be true of these though, does it. Almost as if that's not a problem at all.
    If they changed his race and decided to show some change in attitude towards him by someone.. well so what? Bond has the occasional villain holding his Englishness against him, how would that be a terrible change?
    We'll have to wait and see won't we (if it ever comes to pass)

I'm not saying there would be anything wrong with it, just that there would be more consequences than people such as yourself seem to think, and they should be given some consideration before a decision is made

Well obviously the filmmakers will think about it before they do it, just as they do with any decision, it's pretty fatuous to even think that needs pointing out. But people such as yourself don't seem to be able to name any of these consequences that are actually of any import or haven't already been proven to be insignificant by the series itself up to this point (see my last point for example).
    But they can -and do- change the world around him. It has just as much effect on him as they want it to.
    No, it has as much effect as the cinema going public decide it does

Rubbish: I'm talking about the fictional world around Bond, the public don't decide on the fiction, they don't make the films: the filmmakers do. That's why they're called that ;)

But hey, as you said: we have different opinions on it. So why you keep on I have no idea.
    Lol, The same reason you do I guess...
    [/quote]

Nope, you're the one who tried to contradict me by saying we have different opinions on the matter as if that somehow shut down my argument. If you really felt like that you wouldn't have kept trying to argue.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Venutius wrote: »
    This idea that changing Bond's race is no different to changing his hair colour...doesn't that completely discount and dismiss a black person's 'lived experience' at one stroke? I'm not sure it'd be wise to tell a black guy that his race and the things he's faced because of it are as superficial as someone else's hair colour.

That's a bit of a strawman argument: you're extrapolating something to try and force it into something to take offence to. The question is one of whether the strict word of Fleming's description is important, and whether race is ever seen as important in the fictional world Bond lives in. The answer is: almost never- even the baddies are never outwardly racist (and that goes right back to the first films). The only actually racist characters I can think of in 60 years are the Sheriff in LALD (and that only really comes down to a couple of mildly racist terms rather than anything outspoken) and Valdo, who is the only case of a real racist in any of the films I can think of. Maybe I've forgotten a few.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,928
    That's a bit of a strawman argument: you're extrapolating something to try and force it into something to take offence to.
    I'm not remotely offended, although I could see how a black bloke might be. It just strikes me as odd that Bond's race could be deemed to be as inconsequential to his character as his hair colour (not forgetting the 'Blond Bond' wars, obvs!). I think Seve had it right when he said that while you could change Bond's hair colour and it wouldn't make any difference to the character, you can't realistically do that with his race and give him the same life, experiences, attitudes, beliefs, etc. Those aspects would be different enough to make a black Bond an essentially different character. And if they ignored all that and had a black Bond with everything else unchanged, it'd be so unrealistic, it'd be veering dangerously close to stunt casting - and we want a bit more from Bond than that, don't we?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    EON casts Craig.
    Moaners:" Bond cannot be blond!"
    Next, EON casts a black Bond.
    Moaners:" Bond cannot be black!"
    EON: "Well, at least he isnt blond."
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,353
    EON casts Craig.
    Moaners:" Bond cannot be blond!"
    Next, EON casts a black Bond.
    Moaners:" Bond cannot be black!"
    EON: "Well, at least he isnt blond."

How about a black blonde bond next ? :))
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    As long as Bond is British, handsome, cool and heterosexual I don’t care about him being white, black or whatever.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 7,526
    That's a bit of a strawman argument: you're extrapolating something to try and force it into something to take offence to.
    I'm not remotely offended, although I could see how a black bloke might be. It just strikes me as odd that Bond's race could be deemed to be as inconsequential to his character as his hair colour (not forgetting the 'Blond Bond' wars, obvs!). I think Seve had it right when he said that while you could change Bond's hair colour and it wouldn't make any difference to the character, you can't realistically do that with his race and give him the same life, experiences, attitudes, beliefs, etc. Those aspects would be different enough to make a black Bond an essentially different character. And if they ignored all that and had a black Bond with everything else unchanged, it'd be so unrealistic, it'd be veering dangerously close to stunt casting - and we want a bit more from Bond than that, don't we?

I feel like this is a good point. It's true that a person whose skin is black comes with a lot more lived experience than a person whose hair is blonde, so I can see why there's a feeling that this comparison isn't great (disclaimer; I've made this comparison before).

But I think it's fair to say that if they made a modern day Bond film and the actor they chose to portray Bond was black, they wouldn't have to make the plot about him being black, and they wouldn't have to make any reference to him being black at all. On the contrary (and we could go in loops here), it would be unfair I think that any film with a black primary character has to address their blackness.

But as you say, there would be that different context to the character's lived experience, and I imagine the actor would incorporate that in their preparation for the role (what would it have been like to work his way through the naval/intelligence machine as a black man? What might his upbringing have been like? What sort of chip on his shoulder might he have?). You wouldn't necessarily see any of this on the screen (and I tend to think you wouldn't necessarily want to), but a good actor would incorporate it I think.

EDIT: I shouldn't say you wouldn't want to see it on screen, but you'd see it in subtle ways rather than overt ways, like how he might respond to M's authority, etc.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    matt_u wrote: »
    As long as Bond is British, handsome, cool and heterosexual I don’t care about him being white, black or whatever.

Would a black, indian etc bond harm the BO ?

Superman, spiderman, batman etc, some are british actors, could an american ,australian again etc who can do an english accent be cast as bond by babs and co ?
    I don't think a non-white Bond would hurt the BO.

I'm tempted to say Bond's "British-ness" is more important than Spider-Man's "American-ness", but that is through the bias of being a Bond fan. But yeah we've had two non-Brits so far, so who knows.
  • Venutius wrote: »

I’m black and in the context of an escapist blockbuster like Bond, I think it is superficial (as we can see from the characters they’ve already race swapped). Race is an entirely social construct. Obviously that matters in the real world, but in Bond’s flexible, heightened, fairly bloodless and family
    friendly world of a gadget equipped MI6 saving the world from supervillains, it only has to matter if they decide it does. It’d open up some cool storytelling possibilities if they wanted to go there, and I’m sure the actor could use their own experiences to give certain lines a bit more meaning. But I don’t see why they have to. Stories reflecting those experiences are important, but I also think people of colour deserve to see ourselves in fun blockbuster stuff without being reminded of the racism we’ve faced. And it’s not like that’d be unprescedented. There’s even historical dramas ignoring race completely now, and finding great success doing so. Bond could easily do the same.
    And if they ignored all that and had a black Bond with everything else unchanged, it'd be so unrealistic, it'd be veering dangerously close to stunt casting - and we want a bit more from Bond than that, don't we?

I don’t think it’s stunt casting. It’s just widening the pool of actors who can do it, and giving people of different backgrounds the opportunity to play a national icon. Imo Bond has transcended the source material at this point, I’d put it in the same bracket as all the old myths and Shakespeare plays. A cultural lignting rod that’s open to reinterpretation. It would be unrealistic, but even CR had over the top stunts, hails of machine gun fire managing to do no damage, a bomb maker who happened to be a parkour expert, and an MI6 issued Aston Martin with a defibrillator in. All the Bond films, even the grittiest ones, are the stuff of pure fantasy really. I guess there is an illusion of reality setting it apart from the more overtly fantastical, superhero stuff. But ignoring race has never broken that illusion before, so I don’t see why Bond’s race changing would be any different.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2021 Posts: 14,951
    I'm not remotely offended, although I could see how a black bloke might be.

I didn’t say you were: I said “to take offence to”. There’s lots of strawmen coming out here.
    It just strikes me as odd that Bond's race could be deemed to be as inconsequential to his character as his hair colour (not forgetting the 'Blond Bond' wars, obvs!). I think Seve had it right when he said that while you could change Bond's hair colour and it wouldn't make any difference to the character, you can't realistically do that with his race and give him the same life, experiences, attitudes, beliefs, etc. Those aspects would be different enough to make a black Bond an essentially different character. And if they ignored all that and had a black Bond with everything else unchanged, it'd be so unrealistic, it'd be veering dangerously close to stunt casting - and we want a bit more from Bond than that, don't we?

That’s the whole thrust of this conversation: do you genuinely think Bond, in Bond’s world (which isn’t ours) would be so different that he wouldn’t press the button on his hovercraft gondola?
    My point, which I’ve already said, is that these aren’t realistic portrayals of social reality, they’re escapist adventure. Bond can be a grimy Scotsman, an Irishman, a Northerner, some kind of vaguely Australian-accented guy in his 20s etc. and remain the same every time, all because the producers will it so and we don’t give it a seconds thought. Honestly to me this sounds like trying to find an excuse for why it shouldn’t happen rather than one which looks at how the Bond films have always treated this.

I’m black and in the context of an escapist blockbuster like Bond, I think it is superficial (as we can see from the characters they’ve already race swapped). Race is an entirely social construct. Obviously that matters in the real world, but in Bond’s flexible, heightened, fairly bloodless and family
    friendly world of a gadget equipped MI6 saving the world from supervillains, it only has to matter if they decide it does. It’d open up some cool storytelling possibilities if they wanted to go there, and I’m sure the actor could use their own experiences to give certain lines a bit more meaning. But I don’t see why they have to. Stories reflecting those experiences are important, but I also think people of colour deserve to see ourselves in fun blockbuster stuff without being reminded of the racism we’ve faced. And it’s not like that’d be unprescedented. There’s even historical dramas ignoring race completely now, and finding great success doing so. Bond could easily do the same.

Thank you, yes, excellent post. I’m not sure why folks are suddenly thinking that the Bond films are some deep dive into Bond’s psyche, his cultural upbringing and the social realities of the world around him. I think he’s been called as privileged exactly once in 60 years: otherwise he lives in a total fantasy land where everyone drives the latest luxury sportscar and lives in expensive flats or lairs. And where even the most evil villains aren’t racist; so of course his race can change with no effects. They can add some if they want, but it doesn’t have to change who Bond is if the makers don’t want it to.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,343

I'm tempted to say Bond's "British-ness" is more important than Spider-Man's "American-ness", but that is through the bias of being a Bond fan. But yeah we've had two non-Brits so far, so who knows.

I’m not completely sure about that, especially in the EU that is the backbone of Bond’s success. Some people will definitely boycott such a “twist” but on the other hand new people may come onboard.

Then there’s China where a black Bond won’t ever be well received by the audience.

Regarding the “British-ness” it’s Barbara that recently stated that Bond must be absolutely British and given the fact that Bond is the biggest British icon alongside the Queen I bet she has a point…
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I meant relevant in the sense of speaking to an audience. The bottom smacking womanizer, for example, regardless of my own Bondian tastes, is tainted goods in this age.

You don't consider sado-masochists are a significant demographic these days then?

Any way, here's wishing you all a Happy New Year and hopefully Omicron doesn't cramp your celebration style too much

I'm afraid you've lost me completely, @Seve. My comment suddenly got mixed in with another battle. I have, for years, been very open about my preferences: I prefer a Caucasian male for Bond. It's an aesthetical preference, not a political or cultural one, so I will not tolerate accusations of racism or ultra-right tendencies. But I'm not interested in going to war over any casting decisions they make. I trust the people behind the screens and I'll see the film first before I jump in the trenches ready to go ape. A black actor may very well impress the hell out of me.

I’m not completely sure about that, especially in the EU that is the backbone of Bond’s success. Some people will definitely boycott such a “twist” but on the other hand new people may come onboard.

Then there’s China where a black Bond won’t ever be well received by the audience.

Regarding the “British-ness” it’s Barbara that recently stated that Bond must be absolutely British and given the fact that Bond is the biggest British icon alongside the Queen I bet she has a point…

I’m not sure I understand, Bond’s whiteness is the backbone of his success in the EU?

And I think Barbara was referring to the character, and not the actor, needing to be British; wasn’t she involved in the Brosnan era anyways?
    Good point - Brosnan's not British, after all.
    Broccoli added: “We want the actor to be British… and British, as we know, can be many things.”

From the podcast that fueled the creation of this thread.
    Ah, fair enough then.
    British can, indeed, be many things - but those things don't include Irish. So that would've ruled out Brosnan and it'll rule out Aidan Turner this time around. ;)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I guess she'll bi another day.
    British can, indeed, be many things - but those things don't include Irish. So that would've ruled out Brosnan and it'll rule out Aidan Turner this time around. ;)

British... Columbian, perhaps? ;)
  • matt_u wrote: »

In China, Boyega's picture in all 3 Star Wars sequel s got ridiculously smaller and smaller and fir the Black Panther movie posters, they only used images where the late great Chadwick Boseman's face was completely covered by his mask.
    Jimjambond wrote: »

In China, Boyega's picture in all 3 Star Wars sequel s got ridiculously smaller and smaller and fir the Black Panther movie posters, they only used images where the late great Chadwick Boseman's face was completely covered by his mask.

That's crazy, I had no idea it was like that there tbh.
  • Yeah, the racism in China is unreal.
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    Yeah, the racism in China is unreal.

Exactly. Plus Chinese are obsessed with the handsomeness of Hollywood stars as well. If Chris Hemsworth will be cast as Bond then B26 would gross $200M there.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I hadn't thought about that. But China is sensitive about lots of things. Perhaps we should send the British Navy to China, like we did in 1997. 😉
  • GustavGravesGustavGraves Ukraine
    I just hope it's just a parlour talk to appease of woke media, so they do not attack Bond for a while, and it's never comes to fruition. Bond should remain the work of it's author, the male power-sexual fantasy it was intended, and stay true to his character and characteristics.