Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The first one is still a great 90s spy thriller, even if, for me at least, it has been greatly surpassed by Fallout.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Hello, Kittridge:

Great to see him back. M:I 1 is still my favourite from the series.

On a train, of all places, which is where we last saw him.

True I did not even consider that, I love everything about the Train set piece from the first film, a masterclass of direction from De Palma.

One thing that I didn't really spot until recently is that the train climax is actually a proper Mission Impossible-style sting; it's not just a pure Cruise action movie ending like all of the critics complained about. It's not a hugely complex sting, but Hunt's team (admittedly there's only two of them by that point and Luther doesn't do much more than press a button) do trick the baddies and get everyone where they want them to be and Hunt's plan works. It is being Mission Impossible at that point.
  • edited March 2021 Posts: 440
    mtm wrote: »
    Hello, Kittridge:

True I did not even consider that, I love everything about the Train set piece from the first film, a masterclass of direction from De Palma.

One thing that I didn't really spot until recently is that the train climax is actually a proper Mission Impossible-style sting; it's not just a pure Cruise action movie ending like all of the critics complained about. It's not a hugely complex sting, but Hunt's team (admittedly there's only two of them by that point and Luther doesn't do much more than press a button) do trick the baddies and get everyone where they want them to be and Hunt's plan works. It is being Mission Impossible at that point.

I'm totally with you, people give the first MI movie way too much crap, especially the ending. It's suspenseful, nicely directed, and isn't mostly CGI (even the chunnel sequence is primarily model work).
    Hello, Kittridge:

He is on the Circle line of the London Underground! :)) :-bd
    Hello, Kittridge:

I'm totally with you, people give the first MI movie way too much crap, especially the ending. It's suspenseful, nicely directed, and isn't mostly CGI (even the chunnel sequence is primarily model work).

I agree. It's a solid, suspenseful spy movie - a great homage to the TV series. I remember criticism at the time that they turned the show into a "Tom Cruise action movie" but that couldn't be further from the truth with the first film. In fact, I just noticed on a recent re-watch that a gun is not even fired a SINGLE time in the entire movie...almost unheard of in a modern film like this. (A gun is pointed twice, but never fired.)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,956
    Hello, Kittridge:

I agree. It's a solid, suspenseful spy movie - a great homage to the TV series. I remember criticism at the time that they turned the show into a "Tom Cruise action movie" but that couldn't be further from the truth with the first film. In fact, I just noticed on a recent re-watch that a gun is not even fired a SINGLE time in the entire movie...almost unheard of in a modern film like this. (A gun is pointed twice, but never fired.)

That’s a great fact. I also can’t think of even any fights he has: I think he grips Jean Reno’s arm a couple of times in a macho way, but apart from the train ending with him against Voight a bit that’s about it. No car chase, no skydiving.

Actually on second thought, not quite true about the gun: Phelps sees ‘an assailant’ firing a silenced pistol at him on the bridge, although it is of course just his own hand and presumably a blank, so no gun is being fired for real.

How does Claire get killed at the end? Does Jim shoot her?
    That first film got a lot of criticism at the time. Those included just a Cruise-starring film; the teamwork wasn't there (the original TV cast complained about and the press ran with it); Phelps being made a villain.

But it really was a satisfying film at the time and still is, although I can see where people may think it seems underwhelming compared to the series' last 3 entries, which include many more signature stunts. Having watched the original TV series a lot since then, I can see the spirit of it along with the necessity of having a modern take and it succeeds well on both counts.

And I still learn new things: Did Claire die? I don't recall that at all. I just thought she was arrested.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I’m sure I remember her buying it, does she not? Jim builds that little gun out of a radio so he must use it..?

Yes I think it uses the spirit of the TV show really quite well. There are even three separate proper MI-style heists in it.
    I still think the opening is really clever: it both sets up the whole MI/team on a spy heist idea and introduces it to the audience, and also subverts it at the same time: not only does it go wrong but it turns out it’s not the heist we thought it was, it’s actually a Mission Impossible mission being carried out by another team we don’t even see and our team are actually the targets! It’s clever to introduce an idea and riff on it at the same time.
  • Between True Lies, GoldenEye, and M:I - that time period was such a renaissance for the genre, especially after Bond's hiatus. I always remember M:I-1 fondly - lots of great characters.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    With all these pictures coming out, a teaser trailer can't be too far away?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mark Gatiss? That is fun :)
    Rob Delaney too, marvellous.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    With all these pictures coming out, a teaser trailer can't be too far away?

I wonder if the studios are not being a bit more cautious in releasing trailers until they’re a bit more certain about whether the films will actually be released! :)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Cary Elwes? I thought he had retired from playing bad guys. ;) I'm intrigued by that casting!

I wonder will we be seeing more MI6 influences here with Gatiss, Atwell etc. Really looking forward to it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Indira Varma is a great actress :)

Also love seeing more of the sequence on the train, especially after this picture of Pom Klementieff (who I can't wait to see in this franchise).

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Cary Elwes, oh yeah!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Big fan of most of those new additions. This one's getting better and better.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »

What's she known for? I only know her for one episode of Torchwood! :)
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Denbigh wrote: »

What's she known for? I only know her for one episode of Torchwood! :)

I know her from Game of Thrones where she mostly played opposite Pedro Pascal for a season and then was stuck in the ridiculously poorly handled Dorne plot. I thought she was quite good.

I think she's also Luther's estranged wife on that show? But I haven't seen a lot of that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ah okay thanks, I've not seen Thrones.
    Indira Varmer was pretty cool in Human Target, a show that was cancelled way before its time and was essentially a mix of Bond and M:I, so it's nice to see her pop up in one of them.
    Indira Varmer was pretty cool in Human Target, a show that was cancelled way before its time and was essentially a mix of Bond and M:I, so it's nice to see her pop up in one of them.

God I remember that show such a great show
    Risico007 wrote: »

God I remember that show such a great show

Lots of exciting plots and great music by Bear McCreary.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Mission Impossible: Chimera ??

https://movieweb.com/mission-impossible-7-photo-chimera-virus/
    A mysterious new image from Mission: Impossible 7 could hint at some potential ties with a major plot point from 2000's action sequel, Mission: Impossible 2. The shot depicts an unknown person's hand
    (possible Rebecca Ferguson's Ilsa Faust
    ) holding a syringe gun that looks suspiciously like the same ones used to administer the deadly Chimera virus that caused Ethan Hunt so much bother all those years ago.

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I don't know if that's meant to reference Chimera, but if so, I like that idea. They've been tying all these films together so it would be a shame to see MI2 get left out. I remember they were going to have Nyah be Ethan's wife in MI3 and it didn't pan out. That would have been a good idea as well.
    Looking forward to a trailer!!! Be like old times?!!! :))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Is there any character in the film who is not on that train? That carriage is going to be crowded!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Is there any character in the film who is not on that train? That carriage is going to be crowded!

Who’s she talking too? Is it Zola from Fallout?
    Guessing this is the train
    we’ve seen Ethan on top of in bts videos
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Another moustache eh?