Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

Just came back from a showing of 'Ghost Protocol' !!!

So... how would you rate it, compared to the others?
    Film looks good and the catfight is okay, its just another set piece. Maybe it's just me but Paula Patton is overacting. She just looks out of her element in the previews I've seen. Maybe she is better playing in romantic comedies or whatever but something is not right about her...
    how are some able to see before the release date? Advance showing?
    Different release dates:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1229238/releaseinfo
    I'll go an see it but I won't be surprised if I don't adore it or anything. I'm sure it will be worth seeing though for a bit of entertainment. Thanks for posting the review Graves.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Zekidk wrote:

This one is the best out of the 4. I'd give it a solid 9/10 for an action movie (1 point down for a rather simple plot.)

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Zekidk wrote:

This one is the best out of the 4. I'd give it a solid 9/10 for an action movie (1 point down for a rather simple plot.)

How do you rank the other ones, DC?

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:

How do you rank the other ones, DC?

8/10 for the 1st.
    7/10 for the 3rd
    6/10 for the 2nd
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'd agree with your rankings of the first three DC, so the new one sure does look like a winner. I'd have to find a way to see this before Christmas now, I want to see what I make of it.
  • Did the same thing happen to her or are both Julia and Luther not in there for a reason??
    GHOST PROTOCOL is believed to be a reboot of the series for a reason: Tom Cruise is apparently leaving the franchise, and Jeremy Renner is taking over. GHOST PROTOCOL is said to be a way of handing the series over to Renner.

Renner wouldn't be my first choice as he's also taking over bourne, but im glad cruise is leaving
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Did the same thing happen to her or are both Julia and Luther not in there for a reason??
    GHOST PROTOCOL is believed to be a reboot of the series for a reason: Tom Cruise is apparently leaving the franchise, and Jeremy Renner is taking over. GHOST PROTOCOL is said to be a way of handing the series over to Renner.

Renner wouldn't be my first choice as he's also taking over bourne, but im glad cruise is leaving

Cruise isn't leaving. It's his, and will always be his, series.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ^
    When Tom leaves the MI series leaves.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 12,837
    ^
    When Tom leaves the MI series leaves.

well thats a shame because I love MI but I don't like cruise. Cruise may not be leaving now but I don't see why somebody else can't take over in the future (Bond has changed countless times, even bourne has a new leading man now, so I think it would work)
    I'm going to say this up-front: GHOST PROTOCOL consistently disappointed me.
    Where do I start? For one, there is virtually no plot to it. What little plot there is is basically a retread THE SPY WHO LOVED ME ... just not done as well. Michael Nyqvist is completely wasted in this film; he has virtually no presence as the film instead prefers to concentrate on the dynamics of the team. And this would be okay, if it weren't for the fact that Hunt, Brandt and Carter are essentially dealing with the same personal problem. The only person who is his own character (and is therefore remotely interesting) is Benji. Everybody else is pretty much interchangable, and only really present because the assignment requires four people to carry it out. All of this is very disappointing, because the basic setup of the film is very good. It's a bit like EPISODE I - you want it to work, but it doesn't. Don't get me wrong; the first half of the film is very, very good. But the second half is rubbish.

There are also some remarkably silly moments throughout. For instance, Hunt survives the terrorist attack on Moscow with a "minor concussion" ... but a day later, he hits his head on the side of a skyscraper. Hard. And is then somehow able to convince a cold-blooded assassin that he is somebody else entirely. The finale in the server room is also ridiculous, mostly because it requires Jeremy Renner to be levitated into a server room that is otherwise impossible to access. Similarly, there are massive plot holes. I know there were problems with MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 2, but at least that film tried to explain themselves. Somehow, Michael Nyqvist is 1) aware of the IMF's presence in Moscow, 2) able to transmit on their frequency and 3) do in five minutes what it takes the IMF team half an hour to do. And none of it is explained. Likewise, he has access to a facial mask, and this is never explained either.

It's a real shame, because there are some very talented people involved in making this film, and each and every one of them is let down by an incredibly weak script. It's one of the worst I've seen in years. In the end, it feels like an extended episode of the TV show, but with ten times the budget and all the original thought that was put into it unable to rescue an unoriginal concept.
    My rankings:

1) MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE
    2) MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 3
    3) MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 2
    4) MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL
    I have heard complaints that the film could've ended half an hour earlier too in regards to the plot, so clearly not everyone is happy with this Mission: Impossible.
    ooh this is interesting to hear? Not had the opportunity to see the movie yet? How long is the film then?
    I'm going for the following reasons, in order:

The Dark Knight Rises 6 minute prolouge (which I've already seen, but only half the screen :-$ )
    Benji
    Essplosions
    Dun Dun Duna Dun Dun Dunaaa Dee nee nil, Dee nee nil...
    India scene

who cares about the plot if its shiny and entertaining.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    RogueAgent wrote:
    How long is the film then?

Two hours, twelve minutes.
    cheers samuel, hopefully will get to see it next week! Also heard good things about Dragon tattoo! So may well go see that at somepoint too!
  • I am thinking of watching this one but I dont know what to choose between this and the SH:A game of shadow......
    not seen the first one yet! its on my to do list! I own all the old black and white Basil Rathbone films! Proper old classics.

I did see a TV trailor of SH:A game of shadows! It started with and i quote "Who needs Bond?!" :-h errrr hello? We all do!!! ;)
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I have heard complaints that the film could've ended half an hour earlier too in regards to the plot, so clearly not everyone is happy with this Mission: Impossible.
    It's not so much a case of ending the film sooner; a lot of the film is very well-paced, and it's about the right length. It just has an incredibly weak plot, a villain with virtually no presence, and it decides to concentrate on the team dynamics (which are equally weak) far too much instead of looking at its actual story problems.
  • Seeing it Sat - can't wait. I love the first one and John Woo crushed me in the second - after Face Off how did MI2 happen, what went wrong? I think Tommy Girl flexed his muscles.

The third one is good apart from the last 15 mins. Maggie Q made be feint in that dress.
    This one was a pleasant surprise! I loved how they've managed to make nearly every action scene creative and unique in some way. MI3 had a lot of dull, generic action scenes - that's not the case this time. The biggest flaw (which is now a tradition in the M:I series) is that the most interesting set piece is in the middle and not at the end of the film.

I was really happy to see my hometown, Budapest in the movie!
  • tqbtqb
    i haven't seen it yet, but a review said there are gadgets. That'll make fans want Bond to have gadgets now.
    There are some clever gadgets involved - and there are some stupid gadgets involved. Particularly at the end.
  • too good piece of information, I had come to know about your site from my friend sajid, bangalore,i have read atleast 11 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your web-page gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new post, once again hats off to you! Thanks a lot once again, Regards, <a href="http:// gohelp.in/mi4-ghost-protocol/ /">mi4 ghost protocol</a>
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 11,119
    I am going to see the movie this evening with a bunch of friends. To warm myself up....and all of you in here, here is the official M:I Score recomposed and conducted by Michael Giacchino:
    <youtube>

I think, solely as a movie, I will like 'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol' more than 'Quantum Of Solace' ;)
    edited December 2011 Posts: 15,686
    I think, solely as a movie, I will like 'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol' more than 'Quantum Of Solace' ;)

Was not really hard for MI4 to top - it's a near masterpiece next to QOS !

• Lower budget but the wooden/plastic acting is up there with QoS.
    Andreas Wisniewski who played Necros in The Living Daylights and who had a small role in the first M:I movie as Max's companion, has a cameo in this film!