Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,541
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I don't agree every MI film has tried to copy Bond. There are bound to be variations of stunts in all sorts of films.

Bonds have done variations of earlier films over and over again for years and have borrowed from other films themselves, so I wouldn't exactly extend exclusivity. Some would call it inspired by.

I can agree on a certain degree but not all overtime I have posted about almost all mi films and how they are a lot similar to bond in terms. After fallout released a whole lot of people was saying that they didn't copy intentionally but Director himself said it that he had a lot of influence from bond films. As for inspiration a member here once said to me that inspiration is a nice word for copyright violation. But all in all it wouldn't matter much if the end product is great even if it has a lot of inspiration from other films. But as I said only RN worked for me in that regard but a lot of people here get offended too easily by having different opinions.
    I'd rather hear different opinions and discuss from there and that's no problem here. What gets me is somebody saying something sucks with zero to back up that opinion.

If there's one thing that plagues MI for me it's the constant traitor in the organization/going rogue from its parent organization that annoys me in the series.
    I don't agree every MI film has tried to copy Bond. There are bound to be variations of stunts in all sorts of films.

Bonds have done variations of earlier films over and over again for years and have borrowed from other films themselves, so I wouldn't exactly extend exclusivity. Some would call it inspired by.
    I have no Problem with what RN did, I find the film very entertaining and consistent. But there are Scenes in there that I cannot with the best of will call "inspired by". It´s ripped off and made something out of.

Fine line there, I guess as rip off denotes stolen or blatant copy. If a film can take something that's been done before and improve on it or not make me immediately roll my eyes at the nod to it then okay, I'm good to go with it.

One could say FYEO rips off however many Bond films that preceded it. SF rips off many of its plot points from The Dark Knight and on and on if that's how you want to approach things.
    Agree about RN being entertaining I just wish it had more depth to it and that film had one of best things happened to mi series - Ilsa Faust.
    Do you honestly go into an MI film looking for depth? I go for being entertained and at least not be insulted by the plot or storytelling, something recent Bond films haven't been particularly good at.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    boldfinger wrote: »

I have no Problem with what RN did, I find the film very entertaining and consistent. But there are Scenes in there that I cannot with the best of will call "inspired by". It´s ripped off and made something out of.
    To an extent this could be semantics, but surely the 'made something out of' is what removes something from the direct rip off realm and takes into inspired territory?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Do you honestly go into an MI film looking for depth? I go for being entertained and at least not be insulted by the plot or storytelling, something recent Bond films haven't been particularly good at.
    Precisely.
    If you go for action and Entertainment why look for story telling or plot, I don't look for depth as in Oscar winning performances but fallout dialogues falls flat imho. Yes SP & QOS were bad but SF & CR stands tall for me.
    Fine line there, I guess as rip off denotes stolen or blatant copy. If a film can take something that's been done before and improve on it or not make me immediately roll my eyes at the nod to it then okay, I'm good to go with it.

One could say FYEO rips off however many Bond films that preceded it. SF rips off many of its plot points from The Dark Knight and on and on if that's how you want to approach things.
    I would agree that SF ripped off a lot from TDK. As with RN, one could argue that the end result was worth it.

bondjames wrote: »

To an extent this could be semantics, but surely the 'made something out of' is what removes something from the direct rip off realm and takes into inspired territory?
    The way those Elements were used was inspired, but the way they were lifted from other films was not.

edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883

The way those Elements were used was inspired, but the way they were lifted from other films was not.
    If you could give me an example of a direct lift in RN in particular I'd appreciate it, because I'm only seeing inspiration. There are only so many things one can do with a plane, car, bike etc. without some throwback to something somewhere.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I’ve said, speaking of filmmaking in general, that at this point , there is virtually nothing that could be put on the screen that can’t be , in some way, compared to something that has come before.
    I am firmly in the school that the MI filmmakers have never intentionally set out to copy, or swipe from Bond. They do their own thing, and over the last 4 films,,have done an excellent job.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

If you could give me an example of a direct lift in RN in particular I'd appreciate it, because I'm only seeing inspiration. There are only so many things one can do with a plane, car, bike etc. without some throwback to something somewhere.

I imagine the only obvious one would be the use of a "list" as a Macguffin. But even that plot idea has been around a long time, even before Bond, and to my eyes was inspired more by the first M:I than anything else.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 5,767

The opera Scene in RN made me think more of QoS than of anything else. It also made me think of Hitchcock, but in a more subtle way. I would differentiate between "inspired by" and rip-off by the measure the Scene guides my mind to another Topic than the film itself. If it lets me enjoy the aesthetic, mood and tension of a director I can´t enjoy otherwise anymore (because he doesn´t live anymore) without losing its own identity, I would call it "inspired by". If it makes me think, "But that´s what we just saw a few years ago in another Blockbuster spy Franchise", then it loses a bit of its own identity, and that makes it a rip-off in my book.
    As I´ve said before, I am of the opinion that, while ripping Things off, RN made very good stuff out of it.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,541

The opera Scene in RN made me think more of QoS than of anything else. It also made me think of Hitchcock, but in a more subtle way. I would differentiate between "inspired by" and rip-off by the measure the Scene guides my mind to another Topic than the film itself. If it lets me enjoy the aesthetic, mood and tension of a director I can´t enjoy otherwise anymore (because he doesn´t live anymore) without losing its own identity, I would call it "inspired by". If it makes me think, "But that´s what we just saw a few years ago in another Blockbuster spy Franchise", then it loses a bit of its own identity, and that makes it a rip-off in my book.
    As I´ve said before, I am of the opinion that, while ripping Things off, RN made very good stuff out of it.

Agreed and not just the opera scenes but there was a lot of things common in SP and mi5 which can't be a mere coincidence but still RN is still my favorite and had high rewatchabality for me.

I have posted a link if anyone wants to see the similarities between the two.
    Considering we are all Bond fans, I'm sure there is some confirmation bias here regarding fans looking for connections/copies/rip offs etc,

the boring answer is, try writing your own fresh MI script that has nothing in it that could ever be compared to a previous scene in Bond.
  • My favourite is still the first one but the last two have been very good.

What I'd really like them to do (which will never happen) is make one more in line with the tv series, minimal action and focussing on the big con. A proper thriller where the audience isn't in on what's happening something like Usual Suspects or The Sting.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Agreed and not just the opera scenes but there was a lot of things common in SP and mi5 which can't be a mere coincidence but still RN is still my favorite and had high rewatchabality for me.

Christ almighty. No offence intended @Resurrection, but 90% of that video is total rubbish.

I mean, "Agent Jumps Off Roof"?
    patb wrote: »
    Considering we are all Bond fans, I'm sure there is some confirmation bias here regarding fans looking for connections/copies/rip offs etc,

the boring answer is, try writing your own fresh MI script that has nothing in it that could ever be compared to a previous scene in Bond.
    That is not true. In the same veign, it is true that recent Bond films ripped off various other contemporary films. Most of all Bourne and TDK. As did Moonraker rip off Star Wars with the laser guns.
    As I said, rip-off doesn´t necessarily mean the result is boring or otherwise disappointing.

edited February 2019 Posts: 23,883

I see where you're coming from with the opera scene, especially with the timing (although it was a 7 year gap). Upon first theatre viewing I thought that it was inspired by QoS, but upon subsequent rewatches I've lost that perception. I now believe its biggest inspiration was the 2nd version of The Man Who Knew Too Much. I far prefer the MI scene to the QoS one btw, which I find 'arty', while I find the MI one more genre specific with the cool fight, multiple shooters, and the parallel sequencing.

MI:RN was actually released first.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 4,600
    Both series try to have an element of class about them. You won't see Ethan Hunt in McDonalds/cheap hot dog joint (thats Dirty Harry's world) for example. So in terms of set pieces/locations, what do you have? Theatre, fashion show, horses/polo, classic cars/Le Mans, auctions, diplomat's cocktail receptions, major capital cities etc etc,

when you combine that with stunts based on forms of transport, they are bound to have commonality.

The key difference for me is the tone. MI is very different and IMHO has never trod on Bonds toes re that side of things.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Tom Cruise is on record saying he is a big Bond fan, and that he is excited to see what EON & Craig have in store for us in 2020 for Bond 25.
    Both series try to have an element of class about them. You won't see Ethan Hunt in McDonalds/cheap hot dog joint (thats Dirty Harry's world) for example. So in terms of set pieces/locations, what do you have? Theatre, fashion show, horses/polo, classic cars/Le Mans, auctions, diplomat's cocktail receptions, major capital cities etc etc,

when you combine that with stunts based on forms of transport, they are bound to have commonality.

The key difference for me is the tone. MI is very different and IMHO has never trod on Bonds toes re that side of things.
    Well written.

In terms of concurrently, I definitely agree. However, I think the recent MI films are more in the vein of some of Roger Moore's Bond films, and to a degree that's why I really enjoy them so much. The Craig entries have a distinctly different tone to the past (even SP), and MI is filling the void for me.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 4,600
    No doubt, the lighter touch is there but sometimes very subtle (the height difference gag at the opera is handled very well by Cruise) But then you look at what has already become a standout scene re the French traffic cop and can anyone imagine that in a RM Bond, it's very original IMHO and deserves praise.

Something that is strange re Bond movies is that you rarely see him communicating with "commoners" (if that makes sense), he is either ordering them around (hotels, bars etc) or giving them comic one liners ("Health and safety, carry on"). The traffic cop in Fallout is treated as a real person and even though we don't know her, we see that Ethan deeply cares for her and I think the audience do to. It's an opportunity for Cruise to show his acting chops and I just can't imagine this in a Bond movie.

If you look for commonality, you will find it. But the same applies to differences.

No doubt, the lighter touch is there but sometimes very subtle (the height difference gag at the opera is handled very well by Cruise) But then you look at what has already become a standout scene re the French traffic cop and can anyone imagine that in a RM Bond, it's very original IMHO and deserves praise.

If you look for commonality, you will find it. But the same applies to differences.
    I definitely agree. Fallout deviated somewhat from the tone I'd grown accustomed to for the past decade. I was more referring to GP/RN. Fortunately, Fallout had the standout audacious stunts which characterize the classic Bond/MI films as well and so it balanced things out with the character moments such as the cop scene.
    Overall the MI team has deftly used comic relief, handled with a light touch, not a heavy hand.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,541

Christ almighty. No offence intended @Resurrection, but 90% of that video is total rubbish.

I mean, "Agent Jumps Off Roof"?

@CraigMooreOHMSS None taken as I said before I enjoyed it more than any mi film and also SP but I wouldn't go as far as calling it 90% rubbish.It did raise some fair points imo

A lot of locations were common there especially blenheim palace.(Austria/Morocco/London)

Both have criminal organization behind the attacks and main Villian survived at the end.

New Boss lobbies to disband agencies.

Hackers getting in danger when involved in field work by main character.

Love interest got kidnapped and rigged bomb next to her.

Calling each other bluff

Talking across glass ceiling

Benji's character is a lot similar to Q.

People will say that it's just a coincidence but it's not. Why didn't john wick or Bourne series didn't have much similarities with bond. It raise a lot of questions there.

@bondjames RN was supposed to release in December 2015 but for some reason release date was pushed back 6 months, you can check in Wikipedia release section if you want.

Anyway I don't want to argue on these things but I could never believe like some members that they never try to take any sort of inspiration and going all by originally.But still I apologise if I have hurt anyone's emotions regarding mi.
    McQuarrie is a clever chap , very clever IMHO. He challenges himself to produce a movie that has a slightly different feel (I think most people would agree this with Fallout) but, at the same time, he does not go too far. It's still clearly a MI movie and a quality one at that (some will not agree but overall) plus he explores the characters a little more but not too much. (thats what the traffic cop scene did, it had nothing to do with the plot and could have been cut easily)

Contrast this with Mendes who, in trying not to produce another SF, threw the baby out with the bathwater.
    @Resurrection fair enough, and I am aware of the release date move for RN.

I just think the argument that RN drew inspiration from a film that was actually released some time later is rather tenuous at best.

I think we are all the product of our experiences, and that includes film makers. Everyone is inspired by someone. The trick is whether it comes across onscreen in a positive fashion, and on that note I'd say the MI films have succeeded lately - more so than the last Bond film, which gave me the impression of 'been there, done that better' far too many times (both in comparison to RN which was released prior, and in comparison to past Bond films).

If one wants to evoke the past, one must surpass it, either in terms of action, tension or in conceptualization.
    Even if Bond 25 turns out to be the most epic, seemingly original film in the history of the series, I guarantee that virtually every scene, every sequence could be compared to something that has appeared in a previous movie, and not necessarily a Bond film.

Does this mean that they swiped from or ripped off the older film, absolutely not ; in fact the previous film may have not even provided inspiration, it could very well be a coincidence.