Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

Lets not forget him in Die Hard! "Now I have a machine gun, HO HO HO"

He he he.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 5,745
    LMFAO. The fourth track on the Mission Impossible GP soundtrack is titled: "In Russia, phone dial you"

I love it when there is random humor in places like that. Lets you know someone had fun making the movie.

And the sixth on the track is titled: "From Russia with Shove"
    The more I think about this film the more I like it. It's pure fun!
  • And apparently, Giacchino is terrific with multicultural themes. This track is just awesome. It gives you instantly the feeling of being in Mumbai :):
    <youtube>
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 1,661
    There is something inherently naff when girls fight. Looks ludicrous. Not that I would wish to get into a real fight with a tough girl. Her nails - ouch painful!

But girl fights look pathetic. As that clip of them fighting illustrates. I'll pass on GP and wait till it's out on Bluray/DVD. I thought the trailer looked naff although the bit with Cruise on the building looked cool - very James Bond-ish! And Cruise looks like Bond - now he's starting to age a bit more, makes him a bit more Bondish than Huntish (whatever that is!)
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 4,619
    It's intersting that Dan Bradley (the guy most of us hated for QOS) was the second unit director of the movie. Here he proved that he can deliver comprehensible action scenes. (Maybe because he worked under Brad Bird who is great with action...)
  • Just saw it yesterday and enjoyed it tremendously. It takes the style of the third film (the competence of the team, the well-planned missions, and each individual being a highly trained agent) and expands on it in a much bigger film. It's certainly more "blockbuster" than the last one and plays very well in Imax, especially the Dubai scenes (and kudos to Cruise for performing the 130 story high stunts himself).

Pretty incredible to think that Cruise is now pushing 50 (what is he, 49?) and still completely credible as an action star. There's never a single moment when you think "Oh, he couldn't do that" or "Oh, there's his stunt double". Not only does he look great but he moves like a far younger man as well. Whatever you think of his private life he definitely brings everything he can when making his films.

Some very inventive touches to the action sequences and pretty good performances from all involved. The film could have been tightened up a little (I found the plot not too involving and it sagged a little towards the end) but overall one of the most enjoyable action films I've seen in quite some time. Judging by the crowd reaction in our packed theatre (it was pretty much completely full a half hour before the film!) lots of other people thought the same.
    Loved it. My ranking:

1)MI1
    2)MI4
    3)MI3
    4)MI2
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Just seen it as well. What a great film and on par with the first. The action really felt like part of a story unlike the last few Bonds and always attempted to try something new. Dubai and India were also really shown off well, I actually want to visit them because of this film.

I hope they do another one soon. Cruise has another two in him at least.
    On my way as we speak. Can't wait! I'm hoing to definitely try and focus on Giacchino's score.
    Giacchino does a good job. Now having scored half of the films, he really is the sound of the Mission: Impossible films.
  • One more thing. Did Tom Cruise actually looked a lot like James Bond :S?
    No not really. He didn't act like him in the stunt scenes or party scenes.

This movie was.. amazing. Im truly impressed compared to the last one, which is a hard feat to conquer in a long series. The score and everything else was perfect. The plot holes are easily masked and easy to overlook. I'll probably be seeing this again when it goes wide as well.

And I think theres definitely going to be a sequel judging by the ending:

HEAVY SPOILER! THIS IS THE VERY LAST SCENE THATS MAY *I REPEAT MAY* BE THE SEQUEL
    when vig rhames says 'see you in khandahar' and the mission of terrorists hacking the US military drones. Sounds like a very good plot. Hopefully a quick followup.
    The shortest gap between films have been four years, let's see if the fifth film can be out by Christmas 2014.
    True, Cruise has ALOT of hefty projects secured for the next few years. I think MI is his guilty pleasure. He loves doing it, but not too often.

Xmas 2014 would make me thuper happy.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Okay boys and girls, I went to see the film three and a half hours ago and I'm back in my seat for an update.

I . Love . It! Won't spoil anything - I'm just saying that the film has some nice little treats for those who paid close attention during the previous films.

See it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Okay boys and girls, I went to see the film three and a half hours ago and I'm back in my seat for an update.

I . Love . It! Won't spoil anything - I'm just saying that the film has some nice little treats for those who paid close attention during the previous films.

See it.

Glad you loved it DIMI !!!!! :-bd
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's a very good film. There's serious tension and great action, cool technology and neat little treasures for the fans. :)

My ranking as it is now:

1) M:I 4
    2) M:I 3

3) M:I 2 (guilty pleasure)

4) M:I

I can't think of a single film series that keeps improving itself like M:I. ;-)
  • Its coming out on boxing day where I live, hopefully I'll get to see it soon
    I'll check it out sometime within the next 2 weeks. From what I read I reckon I might rank it atleast in second place after the first installment.
    Bounine wrote:
    I'll check it out sometime within the next 2 weeks. From what I read I reckon I might rank it atleast in second place after the first installment.

Thats my ranking. Its truly an excellent film altogether. It balances the action with the humor perfectly, and is perfectly timed. Hopefully Skyfall takes a note of how the humor played out in this one.

I'm pretty sure everyone in the audience more than enjoyed it.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I saw this movie opening day and I loved it! I can't decide if MI: 3 or GP is the best one. I'll be seeing this one in theaters again. Highly recommed it!
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 660
    wrong place
    JACKSON! Don't tease us a year out. Looks so good (The Hobbit).

Wrath of the Sucks looks like Clash of the Sucks.
    Um, I think you're in the wrong thread. This is the GHOST PROTOCOL thread, not the upcoming film discussion.
  • I just got back from seeing this movie and I absolutely loved it. Someone that I was with actually said it was better than any Bond movie they've seen. The action sequences were amazing and overall it was just a very enjoyable movie. I hope Skyfall will be as good as this movie was.
    What I really liked was the use of gadgets in this film. None of them seemed silly and they all served a purpose and were very realistic. That would be great if Bond can get back to using gadgets the way MI:4 used them. This movie to me showed what Bond should have been the past decade.

While I did hate the film, I have to admit that the wall gadget was absolutely brilliant. it really made the Russia scenes for me.
    If the entire film was made up of those Russia scenes - ie, instead of having a plot about a nuclear war, limit it to the IMF identifying a Russian agent who killed one of their own - then GHOST PROTOCOL would have bene damn near perfect.
    While I did hate the film, I have to admit that the wall gadget was absolutely brilliant. it really made the Russia scenes for me.
    If the entire film was made up of those Russia scenes - ie, instead of having a plot about a nuclear war, limit it to the IMF identifying a Russian agent who killed one of their own - then GHOST PROTOCOL would have bene damn near perfect.

I have a feeling that script writing began with the Russia scenes. I know when I write the best stuff always comes out first and I have to build around it. That sounds like exactly what happened.

I dunno. I can get by the mediocre plot when I view it. Was better than the previous two. The first had people complaining it was too hard to follow, but I follow it perfectly. I hope that didn't scare the producers away from mimicking the complexity.

The first remains the best, but this one is so much fun to sit through.
    The first was complex, but understandable. It was more of a thriller than an action film, but most people expected wall-to-wall action.
    The first was complex, but understandable. It was more of a thriller than an action film, but most people expected wall-to-wall action.

Three films of wall-to-wall action later, I want to be thrilled. We've been punished enough.