Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    This is why I like the first set of films a lot better because they feel like different versions of the same universe with each director having their own take on it. Like Hunt practically having a new IMF director with each film and they’re all very different from each other. Henry Czerny being very hands on out in the field. Anthony Hopkins is basically M debriefing Hunt. Lawrence Fishburne is a by the book stickler.

I don’t think we ever see another director? Both Tom Wilkinson and Alec Baldwin are the secretaries. Since both died I’m guessing Czerny will step up as the new secretary.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    We won't. I mean he's rogue for all or some of 4 of the 6 films. The only one he's not is MI2
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2023 Posts: 14,861
    Is he rogue in Fallout? I can't remember. I know they pretend he is for Cavill's benefit but I can't remember if he is before that or not, I'm not sure he is.
    It's even mentioned rather neatly in Cavill's attempt to frame him to Angela Bassett: he says that Hunt has been disavowed so many times that he must have finally taken it to heart and switched sides to become John Lark.
    This is why I like the first set of films a lot better because they feel like different versions of the same universe with each director having their own take on it.

I think that was interesting, but the second phase has been so good that I don't mind. I think if you asked if I'd have taken Woo's MI2 over another De Palma one, I'd say De Palma again please.
    He's not REALLY rogue each time, you know ? Just MISUNDERSTOOD...
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 117
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll be a TV spot for the Superbowl at the weekend?

I have strong feeling there will be even no time to die had a trailer at the super bowl. Hope not anything too spoilery.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd love to know what they consider "too long" because I'd love to see that cut.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'm excited for MI7 but I'm surprised we haven't heard more about it, given it's out in 4 months. Maybe because they're off filming MI8?
    I'm excited for MI7 but I'm surprised we haven't heard more about it, given it's out in 4 months. Maybe because they're off filming MI8?

I think it's even more odd considering they released the first teaser in mid-2022 and the marketing hasn't ramped up at all since. I knew they weren't going to move full steam ahead with it at that time but I thought for sure we would've seen the full trailer by now.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited March 2023 Posts: 1,419
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I think it's even more odd considering they released the first teaser in mid-2022 and the marketing hasn't ramped up at all since. I knew they weren't going to move full steam ahead with it at that time but I thought for sure we would've seen the full trailer by now.

I believe McQuarrie just recently posted something about the score. So screenings makes sense. Maybe they don't want to cut a trailer before they know the final cut, since they got "in trouble" with those extra shots of the helicopter and the semi truck from marketing for 6.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited March 2023 Posts: 1,282
    Gosh! As much as I'm excited for the films themselves, I can't wait to hear more Lorne Balfe music for the series.

Yeah that's it mate, it felt like that was unfinished when we saw it last year as well. Maybe they released it too soon to coincide with Top Gun Maverick?

I have to say though, I'm more excited by the fact that we know nothing about the story. Hopefully a full trailer doesn't give too much away
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    LucknFate wrote: »

I believe McQuarrie just recently posted something about the score. So screenings makes sense. Maybe they don't want to cut a trailer before they know the final cut, since they got "in trouble" with those extra shots of the helicopter and the semi truck from marketing for 6.

That's a good point. I was pretty bummed when a lot of those shots didn't make the final cut, considering they weren't superfluous and were fairly integral to the action and suspense.

Yeah that's it mate, it felt like that was unfinished when we saw it last year as well. Maybe they released it too soon to coincide with Top Gun Maverick?

I have to say though, I'm more excited by the fact that we know nothing about the story. Hopefully a full trailer doesn't give too much away

I'm in agreement with you there! I think the less I know about the overall plot, the better. I want the twists and turns to wow me in cinemas on day one.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Too long? Oh no, if this is going to be another near 3 hr long film, then i'll skip seeing it in the cinema, and watch it at home.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I don't like films in which i have to leave halfway through to pee. I remember missing the Safin/Madeline reunion in NTTD because I was in the bathroom. The Fallout final battle was good but way too long. Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation had the best blends of combining the storyline and keeping the run time at a serviceable rate.

However, the three hour run time will not keep me from seeing it in the theaters. Franchises such as this and Bond are must watches in the theater. I remember seeing MI3 twice on opening weekend and never missed an MI or Bond film on opening weekend.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This is a must see in a theater film.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited March 2023 Posts: 1,419

Tweet originally said she was cast in 7, now says she's cast in 8. unclear if both

Seems like we're getting a lot of new characters in MI7 and MI8 doesn't it
    I love how intertwined most of them are going to be between both installments.

Too long? wtf. The new John Wick movie is three hours long, and no one is expecting a deep and involving story there.

Yeah me too. It feels like we're going to have a huge overarching story to finish the series.
    Hopefully there's not too many new faces that's my only minor concern. I'm sure when we see MI7 in July it'll all make sense

I wonder if there's going to be a cliffhanger ending of 7 to draw people into going to see 8?
    edited March 2023 Posts: 40,372

Yeah me too. It feels like we're going to have a huge overarching story to finish the series.
    Hopefully there's not too many new faces that's my only minor concern. I'm sure when we see MI7 in July it'll all make sense

I wonder if there's going to be a cliffhanger ending of 7 to draw people into going to see 8?

I have the same concern but I figure most of them will be minor-enough players that they won't overshadow the veterans. I'm eager to see who's who in these next two installments.

As for 7's ending, I'll be really surprised if it's not a cliffhanger of some type.

I have the same concern but I figure most of them will be minor-enough players that they won't overshadow the veterans. I'm eager to see who's who in these next two installments.

As for 7's ending, I'll be really surprised if it's not a cliffhanger of some type.

Yeah it reminds me of the last few Bond films, were they unveil the cast and you can't tell immediately who is good who's bad. Exciting

Yeah I think it will be mate, perhaps one of the team is in danger or the mission falls apart in the third act of MI7?
    That'd be a great way to wrap up the first part, or even with temporary success of the mission resulting in the death of one of the major IMF members, coupled with an even larger scheme afoot? It's gonna be very, very exciting to watch unfold. This summer can't get here fast enough.
    Yeah absolutely. Between Top Gun Maverick, MI7 and MI8 it's really helping pass the time waiting for Bond 26.
    I'm sure these films will be amazing
    230303-N-MW880-1013.JPG
    oalg073ddpna1.jpg