Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

The insurers must be going into full cardiac arrest !
  • "So I get another safety guy..."
    It's intereresting that MI uses these stunts as a marketing tool months/years before the movie opens. They sacrifice surpise/shock for the advance PR coverage, and, looking at the original trailer, they did this with Goldeneye. McQ works backwards to find great stunts/set pieces. Perhaps we need the same with Bond?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Bond needs to go back to that to some extent. Perhaps not the one big stunt thing (which GE did brilliantly but they pretty much ran out of soon after) but they do need to be coming up with brilliant original ideas for action set pieces again. NTTD's 4x4 chase was so uninspiring.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    Bond needs to go back to that to some extent. Perhaps not the one big stunt thing (which GE did brilliantly but they pretty much ran out of soon after) but they do need to be coming up with brilliant original ideas for action set pieces again. NTTD's 4x4 chase was so uninspiring.

I have to agree. Bond hasn't done a big spectacle stunt for some time. And this is in no way a jab at the stunt team on any of the recent Bond films. But Bond used to be the standard for this. It's hard to compete when your leading man is actually doing some of the most impressive work put to film though.
    It's like, after MR Bond was put in impressively high, dangerous situations to get out of.
    And then with MI: GP, Tom Cruise and co went...is this dangerous and spectacular enough for you Tom?

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think it will be for an MI film, but I read that Tom C may GO INTO OUTER SPACE - not just for a ride, but TO FILM for a movie and NOT a documentary....wow....just WOW !
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria

I couldn't agree more.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Nice featurette (already!) on the bike stunt.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm so damn excited for this film as a whole but I can't wait to have my breath taken away when I finally see this bit in theaters. It's going to be incredible.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

That looks phenomenal. Somehow they keep raising the bar, credit to the MI team and Tom Cruise he's absolutely fearless. That casual jump out the helicopter was brilliant on it's own

Anyone else getting Goldeneye pre title sequence vibes from the bike jump?
    Jordo007 wrote: »

That looks phenomenal. Somehow they keep raising the bar, credit to the MI team and Tom Cruise he's absolutely fearless. That casual jump out the helicopter was brilliant on it's own

Anyone else getting Goldeneye pre title sequence vibes from the bike jump?

I did as soon as I saw it! It makes me happy to see.

I can't wait to see how they try to top all this in Part 2. That early airplane stunt we've seen snippets of looks insane enough as it is.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    When Cruise does the jump, there's a shot of McQuarrie looking at the monitor in complete silence, I think that will sum up the audience reaction.

And hearing the score for Fallout, makes me want to go back and re-watch it.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited December 2022 Posts: 1,419
    A good look at some people (how many brunettes are in this movie?)

FjO3q3vVsAAooCL?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
    FjO3q3uVEAAuhkK?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
    FjO3q3uVQAEDKoe?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
    FjO3q3wUUAE3tEo?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    How are they doing those close-ups on Cruise which sort of break away from him? Little weighted cameras that are attached to him somehow?

There's a shot in there of him putting some ear plugs in which he makes a joke about, but that appears to be from another movie; Part Two maybe. His hair is much longer.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited December 2022 Posts: 5,834
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Who is that?

I have a feeling this film might suffer from too many characters...
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Denbigh wrote: »
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Who is that?

I have a feeling this film might suffer from too many characters...

It's Mariela Garriga. Her character is unnamed at this point.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I hope Ethan and Ilsa are together at least in Part 1 of the story
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Gosh! I still don't know how EON missed Rebecca Ferguson. What an electric Madeleine she would have been....not necessarily action-wise, but her cool intensity.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

They probably will be.

I hate it. I preferred they kept her as a one-off character in ROGUE NATION, where it was more of mutual admiration with a hint of attraction. Ethan having a love interest has been one of the least successful aspects of this franchise.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    As I've said before I'm most excited for Pom Klementieff.

They probably will be.

I hate it. I preferred they kept her as a one-off character in ROGUE NATION, where it was more of mutual admiration with a hint of attraction. Ethan having a love interest has been one of the least successful aspects of this franchise.

I know you don't like it but that's why I enjoy the relationship between Bond and Camille in QoS. I would've preferred the same for these two after Rogue Nation as well.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

They probably will be.

I know you don't like it but that's why I enjoy the relationship between Bond and Camille in QoS. I would've preferred the same for these two after Rogue Nation as well.

I’m critical of QOS, but I think that approach with Camille was actually done very well. I like that she served more as a kindred spirit. IMO, after Ethan had to leave his wife in GHOST PROTOCOL, there shouldn’t have been any attempt to give a new love interest. I like the idea of Ethan living the rest of his life knowing he can never be with the woman he truly loves ever again. FALLOUT kind of ruins that by giving him that out with his ex approving his new relationship, which I’ve semi jokingly referred to it as Tom Cruise’s fantasy of all his ex wives encouraging him to date the girl that’s 20 years younger than them.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited December 2022 Posts: 8,009
    Fallout doesn't really do anything that the previous film didn't do. They're not "in a relationship" by the time the film is over and I'll be surprised if they are in the new film, considering the prominence of Atwell's character.

It's making something bigger than what it is. There's a tension between them, for sure, but it's nowhere near the level of the other romantic interests. It's really very well done and wonderfully performed.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Sadly, the video is no longer available. Removed by the uploader.
    I'm new to mission impossible films and keen to explore but due the films all tie together? What's everyone's favorite?
    The first three films are wildly different, with Ving Rhames being the only other actor being around. Starting with GHOST PROTOCOL the films start to connect a little more as they go, as they’ve figured out a dynamic.

I actually prefer the earlier films because we got to see very different directors give their own take. Virtually nothing similar between Brian De Palma, John Woo, and JJ Abrams.
    The first three films are wildly different, with Ving Rhames being the only other actor being around. Starting with GHOST PROTOCOL the films start to connect a little more as they go, as they’ve figured out a dynamic.

I actually prefer the earlier films because we got to see very different directors give their own take. Virtually nothing similar between Brian De Palma, John Woo, and JJ Abrams.

Ok interesting I watched the trailer for the very first one and it seems different though that m type guy is there from dead reckoning trailer.
    That’s Kittridge, until Dead Reckoning he has never appeared in any of the sequels.
    That’s Kittridge, until Dead Reckoning he has never appeared in any of the sequels.

Oh ok interesting he looks like a major role in this next film.