Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I am just putting this out there, I am now on duty. I see Van Damme has been mentioned...

robert-deniro-meet-the-fockers.gif

Just a friendly reminder, I am watching what you all say. I love Van Damme / Hard Target, it's my favorite action thriller, and I am prepared to die on that hill.

I've not seen it in full (or I saw it when I was very young and can't remember anything from it) but he has one killer mullet in that film.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Woo's Hong Kong stuff is gold.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited July 2022 Posts: 6,726
    I am just putting this out there, I am now on duty. I see Van Damme has been mentioned...

Just a friendly reminder, I am watching what you all say. I love Van Damme / Hard Target, it's my favorite action thriller, and I am prepared to die on that hill.

"Now take your big stick and you bohfriend and find a bess to catchg."

Edit: I randomly mouth that line to myself sometimes. With the same accent.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I've not seen it in full (or I saw it when I was very young and can't remember anything from it) but he has one killer mullet in that film.

He does rock a mean wet look mullet.
    mattjoes wrote: »

"Now take your big stick and you bohfriend and find a bess to catchg."

Edit: I randomly mouth that line to myself sometimes. With the same accent.

For added effect, have this playing around you...

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This is an excellent analysis of MI:3 and why
    it was so important to the franchise.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I doubt it.
    Well, to be fair, a lot of the emotional beats that were established in the third film were paid off down the road so there is merit to the argument.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2022 Posts: 14,956
    I couldn't really follow that video; he seemed to keep going off on tangents where he's just spotting similar things in the movies. The first part of the argument seemed to be that it was the first one to feature Ethan getting personally involved with the other characters, which is a slightly odd way of looking at it when you have his very personal involvement with Jim and Nyah in the previous two movies- Ethan always has relationships with the main cast. I'm not entirely sure what his argument was to be honest. I'd also disagree that it totally delivers on the fun angle; the next film blasts it off the screen for my money.
    mtm wrote: »
    I couldn't really follow that video; he seemed to keep going off on tangents where he's just spotting similar things in the movies. The first part of the argument seemed to be that it was the first one to feature Ethan getting personally involved with the other characters, which is a slightly odd way of looking at it when you have his very personal involvement with Jim and Nyah in the previous two movies- Ethan always has relationships with the main cast. I'm not entirely sure what his argument was to be honest. I'd also disagree that it totally delivers on the fun angle; the next film blasts it off the screen for my money.

Interesting, I found it well thought out and on point.
    I’ve said for years that MI:3 was the emotional anchor of the series, and that it made Hunt a more three dimensional character.
    talos7 wrote: »

I’ve said for years that MI:3 was the emotional anchor of the series, and that it made Hunt a more three dimensional character.

I do agree that M:I 3 was a very important turning point in the series. It not only made Ethan more of a person than an archetype, but it also brought the series closer to the television show than it had been before, especially with the second film. I would argue that the Vatican sequence is the closest the entire M:I film series has gotten to emulating the feel of the original TV show. Even Michael Giacchino's use of "The Plot" musical theme brings it back to its root, as that music is the theme used in every episode of the show.

Bottom line (for me): M:I 3 is not perfect, but it was a course correction the series desperately needed after part 2. I guarantee that if M:I 3 had just copied part 2, there would be no M:I 4 through 8.

I do agree that M:I 3 was a very important turning point in the series. It not only made Ethan more of a person than an archetype, but it also brought the series closer to the television show than it had been before, especially with the second film. I would argue that the Vatican sequence is the closest the entire M:I film series has gotten to emulating the feel of the original TV show. Even Michael Giacchino's use of "The Plot" musical theme brings it back to its root, as that music is the theme used in every episode of the show.

Bottom line (for me): M:I 3 is not perfect, but it was a course correction the series desperately needed after part 2. I guarantee that if M:I 3 had just copied part 2, there would be no M:I 4 through 8.

Well said…
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I really like MI3, probably had one of the best villains of the series and the story is great. It makes a lot of sense as what's driving Ethan

I kind of wish NTTD, had ripped off the plotline of Bond being drafted back out of retirement to save someone he trained or worked with
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited July 2022 Posts: 4,397
    I can appreciate MI3 as course correction. However, I don't like MI3. The villain is great and I'm very happy that they casted Simon Pegg. But I don't like the direction of Abrams. It's a bit messy (imo). And I didn't care for the rest of the team.
    MI2 isn't very good but much more entertaining for me than MI3.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    MI3 disappointed me with how un-cinematic it was. It looks like one of Abrams' TV shows like Lost or Alias. The acting, direction, and dialogue are very TV-like (actors delivering their lines very fast, no room for atmosphere or characterization due to the 100mph plot, etc) compared to DePalma's and Woo's films.

Ethan Hunt also wasn't as well-realized as he was previously. In MI1 you got the sense that he was a rookie in way over his head, and in MI2 he was an experienced veteran who'd learned to kick back and enjoy life more. In MI3 Hunt seemed like he lost much of his personality. It's not clear where he is in his life or what's driving him. He's basically just become an action figure.

If anything was a course-correction I'd say it was Ghost Protocol.
    @slide_99, it does have this flashy, oddly colored TV movie quality at times. It's my least favorite looking installment in the series.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I would argue that the Vatican sequence is the closest the entire M:I film series has gotten to emulating the feel of the original TV show.

Well it's certainly quite dull, so you may have a point ;) :D
    I think the opening of the first film hits the feel pretty well, and is more interesting. In fact I think several of the more recent ones have done the 'heist' parts very effectively. 3 didn't do it for me, because they're not doing anything particularly clever.
    Ah well, variety is the spice of life; as with the Bond films we all have our favorites and through the years they’ve provided something for a range of tastes
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2022 Posts: 4,247
    MI2 is a guilty pleasure of mine. Woo's ultra-glitzy direction, Cruise's stylish acting, Zimmer's very good score, that I listen to always, Dougray Scott's entertaining villain and his equally entertaining goons, Thandiwe Newton's beauty, Anthony Hopkins' coolness in his scenes, etc. It's not the most cerebral film of the franchise, but it's Woo at his signature best.

MI3 is entertaining, but I don't like Abrams' visual style, because he shoots it like a documentary, plus a great deal of Giacchino's score sounds more like sound effects than music. I don't find the score melodic enough though.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    MI2 is a guilty pleasure of mine. Woo's ultra-glitzy direction, Cruise's stylish acting, Zimmer's very good score, that I listen to always, Dougray Scott's entertaining villain and his equally entertaining goons, Thandiwe Newton's beauty, Anthony Hopkins' coolness in his scenes, etc. It's not the most cerebral film of the franchise, but it's Woo at his signature best.

MI3 is entertaining, but I don't like Abrams' visual style, because he shoots it like a documentary, plus a great deal of Giacchino's score sounds more like sound effects than music. I don't find the score melodic enough though.

Totally agreed. I don't like to consider things "guilty pleasures" - I like them or I don't - but it's certainly an underrated favorite of mine in the series and the one I returned to the most when I was growing up.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Totally agreed. I don't like to consider things "guilty pleasures" - I like them or I don't - but it's certainly an underrated favorite of mine in the series and the one I returned to the most when I was growing up.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I absolutely love it as well. It could very well be the Mission Impossible film people rewatch the most, because it's all about switching off the brain and enjoying the visuals.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2022 Posts: 14,956
    Yeah I don't love MI2, but I can't hate it. It's perfectly decent fun in a post-pub sort of way and completely holds your attention once you're in it. MI3 has a couple of moments that lose my attention.
    And yes, the MI2 score is excellent in parts. 'Injection' is an absolute classic, and although it's obviously very overblown, that moment where Nyah chooses to inject herself is a pretty effective big dramatic, high emotion moment.
    I don’t think M:I-2 was ever meant to be anything more than what it was. Keep in mind, Cruise didn’t actually have plans for the franchise beyond making one film at a time, bringing in different filmmakers to have their own stab at the franchise. By 2006, there was little to no continuity between films beyond the fact that Cruise and Ving Rhames were in all of them. Ethan Hunt never felt like a consistent character from film to film. The guy in MI3 doesn’t feel like the guy from MI1 or 2, and vice versa on all of them. That’s perfectly fine though, because they were all separate adventurers made between four to six years apart. And then GHOST PROTOCOL took five years to happen after that.
    A quick search yields no results, and maybe I heard an answer once but have forgotten since, but I'm eager to know how McQuarrie kept getting rehired as director when they were strictly involved in hiring a new one for each installment.
    I think it's mainly down to his and Cruise's working relationship being so good.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 8,025
    I think he simply became Cruise’s go-to guy for these films as the years passed. They’ve collaborated ever since VALKYRIE and now it’s gotten to the point that McQ only does movies with Cruise, now that Bryan Singer has been cancelled.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I am mixed on M:I 3 though I love the score which i am listening to now.
    It clearly shows in everything they've worked on since their first collaboration. It's a great working relationship and I'll be eager to see if it continues once Dead Reckoning Part 2 is done and released.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I like MI3, it fights for 2nd place with MI1. To be honest, though MI2 is my least favourite, I like all 6 to some extent.
    When doing MI marathons prior to the release of a new entry, I’ve tried to rewatch MI:2 and can’t get past the first 20 or 30 minutes . Next time I’ll pass on it.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    When doing MI marathons prior to the release of a new entry, I’ve tried to rewatch MI:2 and can’t get past the first 20 or 30 minutes . Next time I’ll pass on it.

Yeah i tried watching it the day that I was recovering from my vasectomy. Don't know what was worse, the film or the pain from getting my testicles snipped.