Guns, Girls and Gadgets: Sixties Spy Films Uncovered (Quoitmedia)

2»

Comments

Michael, If you are interested, I'd like to invite you to join our U.N.C.L.E. Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/369560823208688
    delfloria

Thank you for the offer, but I don't normally do social media, preferring forums and message boards.
  • gogogolemgogogolem USA
    Received my copy! Super interesting for Eurospy film nerds. I've collected well over a hundred of these films and this book is a dream come true. Love the detail.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    @mikey417
    I just picked up my copy today and started to thumb through it. The level of detail is off the charts. I can see that I will have to set aside quite a bit of time...... :))

Great job. ^:)^
    gogogolem

Thanks for the kind words regarding the book. I tried to go as detailed as I could. I'm really pleased you are enjoying it.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    @mikey417
    I just picked up my copy today and started to thumb through it. The level of detail is off the charts. I can see that I will have to set aside quite a bit of time...... :))

Great job. ^:)^

Dwayne

Thanks, I really tried to do justice to the subject matter.
    SpyHards Podcast

Agents Scott and Cam, along with guest operative Michael Richardson author of Guns, Girls and Gadgets: Sixties Spy Films Uncovered discuss the book and turn the spotlight on The Liquidator featuring the only feature film outing of John Gardner’s anti-hero Boysie Oakes played by Rod Taylor.

The Liquidator, number 79 and the latest in a long list of SpyHards Podcasts is now available as I talk with Scott and Cam regarding the writing of the book, The Liquidator and spy films in general.

https://podpage.com/spyhards/079-the-liquidator-1965/
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    mikey417 wrote: »
    SpyHards Podcast

Agents Scott and Cam, along with guest operative Michael Richardson author of Guns, Girls and Gadgets: Sixties Spy Films Uncovered discuss the book and turn the spotlight on The Liquidator featuring the only feature film outing of John Gardner’s anti-hero Boysie Oakes played by Rod Taylor.

The Liquidator, number 79 and the latest in a long list of SpyHards Podcasts is now available as I talk with Scott and Cam regarding the writing of the book, The Liquidator and spy films in general.

https://podpage.com/spyhards/079-the-liquidator-1965/

Thanks, @mikey417. As a big John Gardner fan I'm really looking forward to giving this a listen! :)
    Dragonpol

So let me know what you think of the podcast as its the first time I have been involved with something like this.
    Bring on Derek Flint in another film ! It would not have the difficult choice faced by anyone considering trying Matt Helm again. In the books he was a serious guy in serious stories, some of them quite low key. The movies went into Bond-parody territory because that was a moneymaking idea at the time. But Flint was a goof from the start ! So - here's the question...can a parody make it as an extended tv streaming form ? One might think not, but try on Space Force ! Which then raises this question - OK, so you can have comedy in a streamer, a parody, but must the opsodes be limited to half-hour ? Maybe with an hour for the ending ? Hmmm....
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2022 Posts: 17,800
    Since62 wrote: »
    Bring on Derek Flint in another film ! It would not have the difficult choice faced by anyone considering trying Matt Helm again. In the books he was a serious guy in serious stories, some of them quite low key. The movies went into Bond-parody territory because that was a moneymaking idea at the time. But Flint was a goof from the start ! So - here's the question...can a parody make it as an extended tv streaming form ? One might think not, but try on Space Force ! Which then raises this question - OK, so you can have comedy in a streamer, a parody, but must the opsodes be limited to half-hour ? Maybe with an hour for the ending ? Hmmm....

Well Archer is one very notable example of how a show parodying pop cultural spies and espionage can be a huge success on TV so I'm sure such a show could work on streaming too as that's the future now.
    Since62

As you'll see in the book in the chapter about In Like Flint, 20th Century Fox had plans for a third Flint film, but James Coburn did not want to become trapped in a franchise. He was even offered the chance to name the third film, but still turned the offer down.
    Dragonpol

The book does go into some detail regarding the various plans that have existed to bring a serious Matt Helm film to the big screen, which have failed to happen so far. It also talks about the planned fifth 60s Helm movie The Ravagers and some of facts behind the scenes that stopped it being filmed.
    Dragonpol

The book does go into some detail regarding the various plans that have existed to bring a serious Matt Helm film to the big screen, which have failed to happen so far. It also talks about the planned fifth 60s Helm movie The Ravagers and some of facts behind the scenes that stopped it being filmed.

Spielberg was the last to back an attempt at reviving Helm but it stalled as well. I looked into the rights myself several years ago and was surprised by Sony to learn that Hamilton sold of ALL his rights to Helm to Columbia during the sixties.

BTW I just finished "the Liquidator" chapter and am having a blast. Now I know how Harry Palmer got his name.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 24
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Since62 wrote: »

Well Archer is one very notable example of how a show parodying pop cultural spies and espionage can be a huge success on TV so I'm sure such a show could work on streaming too as that's the future now.

Quite so ! But it is a cartoon...so it is NOT REAL ; > (yes, for some of you, that was meant in jest)
    Dragonpol

Great info ! You distinguished by referencing "big screen." For those not aware - and it was barely on tv - there was a TV show from Sept 1975 to Jan 1976 of Matt Helm, with Tony Franciosa in the title role. (Lynda Carter, Ian McShane, Jack Cassidy, Susan Dey, Bert Convy, Shelley Fabares, Farley Granger, Juliet Mills, Ann Turkel, John Vernon and Patrick Macnee among others, appeared in it). It was very loosely based on the book character, and did not resemble the Dean Martin films, either. In the show - and UGH - he was a retired spy, working as A PRIVATE DETECTIVE. It lasted only the initial 13 episodes, as it was not popular.
    I really would love to see a Derek Flint movie. Not all the way to the Austin Powers end of the spoof spectrum, but fun and crazy. Here's my suggestion for the part -- Idris Elba. He's yet another Brit who can convincingly portray an American. He can play Mid-Atlantic, for that matter, if the producers would want to go that classic route. Tall, strong, credible in fights, all the Flint-ian things. Who would be good in the ol' Lee J Cobb exasperated by-the-rules government fellow who finds himself without a choice but to recommend Flint for some big crisis despite his reservations ? There's many, I am sure, but right now when I think of him I get stuck on this actor: ol' Walter White himself - Bryan Cranston. We KNOW he can do the comic stuff as well as the serious stuff.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited August 2023 Posts: 2,623
    FYI,

Cinema Retro has just released a special issue devoted to the Matt Helm films. Lots of fascinating details and behind the scenes pictures, the issue traces the films from their Donald Hamilton source material to the booze and camp version that Dean Martin made popular.

While I pre-ordered my copy some time ago, I picked up a 2nd copy in Barnes & Noble today (using my bonus membership points) to tide me over until the postman comes.

helm450.jpg

https://cinemaretro.com/index.php/archives/12213-COMING-IN-JULY-CINEMA-RETRO-MOVIE-CLASSICS-9-THE-MATT-HELM-DOSSIER.html

In other news, the September/October 2023 issue of RETRO FAN magazine has an interview with DAF's Trina Parks.
    182658005061.jpg
    Since 62

I did see the Matt Helm TV series when it was transmitted years ago. More recently, the 4 Helm movies became available on Blu-ray as boxset a couple of years ago.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Since 62

I did see the Matt Helm TV series when it was transmitted years ago. More recently, the 4 Helm movies became available on Blu-ray as boxset a couple of years ago.

I own that boxset. Great fun! None of these four films are really "great", but there's no denying that they ooze charm.
    Darth

I found that the Matt Helm films had dated, perhaps more than any of the other films that I looked at in the book, but I also found them very interesting from a production point of view., especially The Ambushers.