And the Klebbie for worst action sequence in a film....page 141

Comments

I will go Richard Maibaum, with an honourable mention to Ken Adam!
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Richard Maibaum for sure.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Maibaum with a close second to Adam....
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Ken Adam all the way.
    Same for me. His sets (not only for Bond, mind you) are the stuff of legend.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Especially the War Room, which was the first thing Ronald Reagan wanted to see when he moved into the White House. :-)

Yep. The Fort Knox set, the Volcano Lair, Atlantis and the Liparus, all the Moonraker sets. All iconic. So it has to be Ken Adam for me.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    The flapping can only mean one thing. Time for us to bestow a Willard Whyte to one person who had a large impact on the film series. The academy has decided to bestow the honour to Richard Maibaum for his screenwriting. Richard received 5 votes, Ken Adam received 3 votes, no other nominees received any votes.

Lets move back to the the Bondie awards. This one is the best rejected theme song to a Bond movie. Other the course of the series there have been notable rejected songs that for whatever reason were rejected by the producers. Paul McCartney almost made the list as Harry was not a fan of Live and Let Die. But I digress.

Here are the nominees:
    • SPECTRE by Radiohead this band had submitted a song that was then rejected. The fellas went back to come up with a new song and this is what they delivered, however the producers had already committed to Sam Smith. What might have been.
    • No Good About Goodbye by Shirley Bassey there was some debate on whether this was ever considered to be the song for Quantum of Solace. How glorious it would have been to have Dame Shirley return for another go and the song is pretty good too!
    • 24 Lana Del Ray to quote Elliot Carver "hot off the presses". Lana recently shared that this song was submitted for SPECTRE but the producers chose Sam Smith and this song becomes a nominee for this category.
    • Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang by Dionne Warwick this one was the closest to making it. Barry even used the theme throughout his score. However at the last minute the producers decided the song should mention the film title and so this was consigned to the scrap heap.
    • Surrender by kd Lang the legend is that the producers chose Sheryl Crow over kd over the marketability of the singer. If so, it shows a shallow judgement lead to a great song being cast aside.

So my dear academy members, which one is the best rejected theme song? Feel free to write in your votes, there were simply too many to consider for this list.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Mallory wrote: »

Yep. The Fort Knox set, the Volcano Lair, Atlantis and the Liparus, all the Moonraker sets. All iconic. So it has to be Ken Adam for me.

Sets are nothing without story. So I vote for Maibaum.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Spectre by Radiohead, followed closely by MKKBB
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 25 Posts: 15,355
    Radiohead for me too: the others wouldn't have improved their films much, but I think 'Spectre' would have added so much more atmosphere. To the extent I keep meaning to look for a fan edit where it's been placed in there.

I do like MKBB by Ms Warwick (I much prefer hers to Bassey's).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Radiohead by a mile.

Honourable mention to MKKBB.

But I feel that any of us wailing in the shower would be better than Sam Smith's grating melodrama (I do think the melody is quite nice, though).
    Radiohead for me too!
    Surrender for me.
    Can’t understand the logic in not using it as the main title song especially as the instrumental is played throughout the film.
    At least it does appear at the end but would it have made any difference to the box office numbers if it had been at the beginning.
    bobp wrote: »
    Surrender for me.
    Can’t understand the logic in not using it as the main title song especially as the instrumental is played throughout the film.
    At least it does appear at the end but would it have made any difference to the box office numbers if it had been at the beginning.

Sheryl Crow was a bigger star and k.d. Lang is (and was) an out lesbian in 1997. So they picked Crow. Things were different back then.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    echo wrote: »
    Surrender for me.

Sheryl Crow was a bigger star and k.d. Lang is (and was) an out lesbian in 1997. So they picked Crow. Things were different back then.

At the time I thought "Surrender" was overly styled as a Bond title song, and "Tomorrow Never Dies" was more a pop song that could chart and that's what the producers were going for.

Sheryl Crow's song works better for the titles and start of the film. It's also nice having elements of "Surrender" through the score and ending with that.

edited May 26 Posts: 8,776
    I don't even know the first three, though I'd very much suppose they would have improved on the songs ultimately used. And although I actually like Sheryl Crow's song better than quite a few other Bond themes, my choice for the Bondie is Surrender (originally titled Tomorrow Never Dies) all the way, IMO a true contender for Best Bond Song (or if it were, Theme) ever.

UPDATE: I just listened to only the first minute of Dame Shirley's No Good About Goodbye, and it definitely wipes the floor with AWTD, but also with the later themes by Adele, Sam Smith and Billie Eilish.
    echo wrote: »
    Surrender for me.

Isn't Surrender a David Arnold song?
    Here are the videos for the academy if they are unfamiliar,

Spectre by Radiohead

No Good About Goodbye

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Surrender

Surrender at least makes it to the end credits so I can't really view it as a rejected theme song (though I suppose technically it is). I don't mind Crow's TND though, I think it is underrated.

I quite like Blondie's version of For Your Eyes Only, though I am not sure I would give up Sheena Easton's song for it.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Radiohead, and the spectre of defeat.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    The qustion asked was, what is' the best rejected theme song to a Bond movie'. So, I compared the different songs to eachother and would go for 'Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang', both in lyricks and in music I think it's the superior song. To me, Radiohead's music is interesting and might've fit the film better, but the singing itself isn't much to listen to. In the end I think the producers made the right choice with SP. Both 'Surrender' and 'No Good About Goodbeye' are both very good songs as well. And if the question would've been 'which song do you think should've been used instead of the song that WAS used' Shirley would've won. But that's not a Bondie question I think. (Surrender the runner-up on that one, but Crow wasn't as terrible as Keys/White).
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    My ranking:
    1. Surrender: Good song and I prefer it to a lot of the official ones (including Crow's TND)
    2. Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang: solid
    3. No Good About Goodbye: okay, definitely weaker than Bassey's GF and DAF but it still has the Bond vibe, at least
    4. 24: I love Lana Del Rey's voice but this song is boring.
    5. Radiohead's SPECTRE: In my opinion: very boring and nothing to like about. I'm surprised that some of you like it that much.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I still hope we'll hear I Will Return someday.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I’ve never understood the appeal of “Surrender “ and prefer “ Tomorrow Never Dies “ .

With that said, I don’t think that Sheryl Crow had the pipes to do the song justice; with a stronger vocal, a very good song could have been a great song. Imagine what Whitney Houston would have done with it.
    mtm wrote: »

What movie would that been the theme song for?

I agree with you @talos7 I don't mind the lyrics, it's a song sung from Paris Carver's POV. "Martini's, girls and guns are murder on our love affair."

To me Crow screeches to hit some of the notes and I wonder if Houston, Mariah Carey or even Christina Aguilera could have brought more brassiness and bravado to the piece.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 28 Posts: 15,355
    That would have been for DAD. You can hear the melody at several points in the score: Peaceful Fountains of Desire and Whiteout are good examples - I feel like Peaceful is the track we hear most of it in, but there's a fanfare heard a few times in the score (as the beginning of Whiteout) which I imagine would have been the brassy opening of the song.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    thedove wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »

What movie would that been the theme song for?

I agree with you @talos7 I don't mind the lyrics, it's a song sung from Paris Carver's POV. "Martini's, girls and guns are murder on our love affair."

To me Crow screeches to hit some of the notes and I wonder if Houston, Mariah Carey or even Christina Aguilera could have brought more brassiness and bravado to the piece.

I kid you not, I was going to include Christina Aguilera in my post but narrowed it to Houston; Aguilera would have been awesome.
    I flap to the wings with a flourish and am pleased to announce the winner of the Bondie for Best Rejected Theme Song. The Bondie goes to....Spectre by Radiohead who earned 4 votes. The other songs to receive love from the academy are: Surrender (3 votes) and Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2 votes). Dame Bassey and Lana didn't receive any love from the academy! :(

Lets move on to another category! The films have featured some fantastical sets for the villains liar, but on some rare occasions the liar has been a real place. This has added to the film series and at time allowed the producers to feature some unknown or unique places in the world. Lets consider the Bondie for best use of an actual setting. These all featured in the climax of each film.

The nominees are:
    • Paranal Observatory's Residencia Quantum of Solace this unique hotel was where the fiery climax of the film concluded. The starkness of the surrounding area adds to the otherworldly feeling of this building. While not much to look at the isolation makes it a unique place.
    • Sajjan Garh Palace Octopussy high on a hilltop this large complex and palace was the perfect home of Kamal Khan. The views from the palace convey the snobbery of Kamal and show to be a hard to reach palace. Having it's own helipad allows for a dramatic scene of Orlov visiting the Prince.
    • Ko Tapu-Khao Phing Kan The Man With the Golden Gun where does a million dollar hitman live? Why on his own set of islands of course. These islands are now referred to as James Bond island. The rock features and the striking appearance of them jutting out of the water add to the feel of this wonderful place.
    • Monastery of Holy Trinity For Your Eyes Only Kristatos certainly knew a good place for a meeting place for the Russians. This monastery and it's height gave the film one of it's most amazing stunts as Rick Sylvester a free fall on a single rope! The setting adds a great deal to one of the most grounded Bond films.
    • Piz Gloria On Her Majesty's Secret Service the producers faced a large task, finding a place to become Piz Gloria. They found it inis wonderful structure set atop one a mountain. It was it's own character and added to the sense of Bond going alone against his number one enemy.

There you have it, the real life settings that feature in the climax of a film. Which one deserves some love and is the best of the bunch. Write in votes are welcome, just remember it must be a setting that features in the climax of the film.
    Of these, I pick FYEO. Piz Gloria was built for the production.

When I first saw the subject, I thought of the Golden Gate Bridge.