And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Thanks for the love @mtm it feels great to be back plucking up some categories and getting the diverse opinions and thoughts. I like that some question what's up for nomination and appeal to why it shouldn't be nominated!

I admit Connery does pull off the bird hat rather well and the toss is pretty emphatic. LOL! I hadn't thought of the x-ray glasses or the mouse trap. I should have thought of those and then done a vehicle category. Maybe a future Klebbie!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agree about the mousetrap. My vote goes to the iceberg sub. Pointless and absurd.
    Like Trump I'm gonna be a lame duck and vote for the lame duck ;)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Worst gadget used by Bond could be the wristwatch from Solstice. The bloody thing malfunctioned. He tried to detonate the explosives, but instead, the built-in flare blinded him. Q assured Bond the problem is 'user error', but later in the story we see it play up again - this time, to Bond's advantage.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,985

Gull-cap from GF. Silly, yes, maybe it had some navigation/visual device that needed to be above the surface.

It’s a snorkel.
    Crocodile sub from OP. Ingress/egress is a mystery.

We see Bond getting out of it. Do you his escape from the fight in the water into the sub is a bit ‘as if by magic’?
    QBranch wrote: »
    Worst gadget used by Bond could be the wristwatch from Solstice. The bloody thing malfunctioned. He tried to detonate the explosives, but instead, the built-in flare blinded him. Q assured Bond the problem is 'user error', but later in the story we see it play up again - this time, to Bond's advantage.

What’s this?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    mtm wrote: »
    What’s this?
    It's a wristwatch with built-in EMP, detonator and flare, as seen in one of the comics.

Was the croc sub actually spotted in the wild for real, or just a crazy rumour?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh a comic, okay.

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    QBranch wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    What’s this?
    It's a wristwatch with built-in EMP, detonator and flare, as seen in one of the comics.

Was the croc sub actually spotted in the wild for real, or just a crazy rumour?

I dont know about in the wild, for real, but I have seen the croc sub as it is part of the Bond in Motion exhibition.
    JamesStock wrote: »
    Mallory wrote: »
    Outside the list, the x-ray specs in TWINE are pretty pointless. They dont help Bond in any way or service the plot, theyre only there for some cheap titilation and see through underwear, for all of about five seconds.
    Technically, isn't it because of the glasses, he is able to make a spectacle of the bodyguard (knowing what weaponry he has on him and where) so he can see Zukovski?

I feel that Bond as a spy should be able to notice things like that, on his own, without the need to have specs.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Outside the list, the x-ray specs in TWINE are pretty pointless. They dont help Bond in any way or service the plot, theyre only there for some cheap titilation and see through underwear, for all of about five seconds.
    Technically, isn't it because of the glasses, he is able to make a spectacle of the bodyguard (knowing what weaponry he has on him and where) so he can see Zukovski?

I feel that Bond as a spy should be able to notice things like that, on his own, without the need to have specs.

There would be no way to communicate that to the audience though: if he grabbed the guy’s hidden knife it would look like magic to us without the glasses.
    I don’t mind the glasses showing us weaponry, but the way it selectively shows us women’s underwear is maybe a bit sleazy.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

So he should have x-ray vision, instead of specs? ;)
    No, his training would be enough. After all, security officers are trained so that they can see whether a person is hiding a weapon or not.

As for the Klebbie, I do agree with those who think that the camera from MR should receive it. It's just a camera, after all, but branding it that way does the opposite of what a secret agent is supposed to do : stay as discreet as possible.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Gerard wrote: »
    No, his training would be enough. After all, security officers are trained so that they can see whether a person is hiding a weapon or not.

These are films though, he can't act like he's got X ray vision without explaining to us watching.
    Gerard wrote: »
    As for the Klebbie, I do agree with those who think that the camera from MR should receive it. It's just a camera, after all, but branding it that way does the opposite of what a secret agent is supposed to do : stay as discreet as possible.

To be fair, '007' should have no meaning at all to anyone he meets.
  • I guess I never voted...

5. Camera with the gag. If it weren't for the gag, it'd be just fine.
    4. Poisonous pill. I guess I could see a spy agency treat their own employees as disposable. What makes it horrible though isn't the point of it to help locate and save said employee? Oxymoronic, especially when in the last film, there was a safer form of locating used (chip in shoe).
    3. Lame duck. Just to cover up a snorkel? I guess at least it has purpose.
    2. Crocodile suit. Speaking of purpose, what was the point of this? Surely there is better and more believable ways.
    1. Icebergmobile. I have no words for this one...
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    2. Crocodile suit. Speaking of purpose, what was the point of this? Surely there is better and more believable ways.
    1. Icebergmobile. I have no words for this one...

Such as?

The iceberg sub allows them to get closer and escape without being spotted by the helicopters. It makes sense.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Lame duck, please.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The wristwatch from LALD is the worst *and* the best gadget.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    echo wrote: »
    The wristwatch from LALD is the worst *and* the best gadget.

It's my favourite! When you say worst is that because we didn't know it could be a buzzsaw?
    That is a mistake, but it's such a cool idea that I forgive it.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Yes, the tied-up boat is just genius. I don't mind how the magnet works to capture Kananga's bullet--that's also kind of cool. I just wish they had figured out something different for the buzzsaw.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The buzzsaw is a great example of what I was saying earlier about gadgets: I love it when they use the design of the object in the function of the gadget. A watch is round and it has a serrated bezel, so it's kind of genius to turn that into a buzzsaw, which is also round and serrated. I love it :)
    Considering the nominees...

* The dead gull from GF. I think this is practical. If anyone notices a disturbance in the water caused by Bond, almost without thinking they'll chalk it up to the dead bird floating by.

* The crocodile sub from OP. Practical for infiltrating enemy strongholds in sub-tropical waters, even if it's a tight fit.

* Iceberg sub from AVTAK. I think the Union Jack is on the inside of the hatch, which is slightly less stupid than on the outside. But the sub doesn't look very high-powered or fast and Bond is surely wrong about its speed. Hope he brought a good book.

* Radioactive pill from TB. As our host says, this would require a fatal amount of radiation to even begin to work.

* Mini Camera from MR. I'm afraid the "007" does it for me. It's like something an eight year old pretending to Bond would put on his camera. Why on earth would Q branch emblazon a spy camera with that? To prevent 003 taking it by mistake?
    First off, I'm quite grateful to have this thread reactivated.

I have a write-in vote. Sounds like I'm TWINE bashing again, but if it fits...

The coat that turns into an avalanche shelter is my nominee. First, Bond wasn't headed for a strictly cold-weather climate, so why even include it? It seemed as if Elektra exploring the pipeline in the mountains was a spur-of-the-moment thing, although we learn otherwise. It's just too convenient, not to mention silly. Bond sure could've used that in OHMSS but then that's the difference between the films.

Also not a fan of the TWINE piton-firing watch. We're expected to believe a watch can not only contain a 50-foot cord but is also strong enough to hold Bond and a girl. Besides, the belt in GE worked just fine and was more practical.

As for the actual nominees:

The duck helmet doesn't seem so much a gadget as a disguise. I don't really count it.

The crocodile sub is silly but gets Bond too and from the island and somewhat saves his life.

Iceberg sub is probably the worst vehicle. But fits perfectly into the mess that is AVTAK. I do like the furnishing, though.

As for the radioactive pill, couldn't they have just added something into the Geiger counter watch or given Bond a version of the homer from GF?

The 007 camera, well, it's MR, so it's not out of place in that wacky film. Revelator is dead-on about it being something a kid would have, as how many toys from back in the day put a 007 label on everything? I've had a few myself

So if my write-in candidate doesn't count, count me for iceberg sub.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    BT3366 wrote: »
    First off, I'm quite grateful to have this thread reactivated.

I have a write-in vote. Sounds like I'm TWINE bashing again, but if it fits...

The coat that turns into an avalanche shelter is my nominee. First, Bond wasn't headed for a strictly cold-weather climate, so why even include it?

There was at least snow nearby: it makes more sense than TLD’s Q ‘winterising’ Bond’s Aston for a mission he’s being sent on to sunny Tangier! In Africa :)

It’s got skis and spiked tyres- was Q thinking he might have to use those in the desert? :D
    @mtm I had never really picked up on that before but you’re right. Bond is indeed dispatched to Tangiers but decided to go back to Bratislava instead, so the winter ready V8 doesnt make much sense.
    @mtm I had never really picked up on that before but you’re right. Bond is indeed dispatched to Tangiers but decided to go back to Bratislava instead, so the winter ready V8 doesnt make much sense.

I think we just have to accept that if sense is what we are looking for then we've picked the wrong franchise.

For me, a 'worst gadget/vehicle' is one that doesn't help Bond, or which is so conspicuous that it is likely to completely blow his cover. Hence why the iceberg sub is not a problem (Union Jack aside), nor is the crocodile sub. They both prove their worth.

I suppose technically his speedboat gondola also proves its worth, but surely there is no real need for the hovercraft element. Yes it helps him make an escape, but is only going to draw attention to himself to the extent it will make it even harder for him to go about his spying business.

The gondola is the worst for me.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Thanks @BT3366 I appreciate the love and the kind words about this thread! I am glad so many like it.

Voting to remain open, but only legal ballots will be counted. :)
    I am also not a fan of gadgets so specific that only in that solitary instance would it have been useful.

The buzzsaw on the front of the BMW in TND is one such example. What if the metal rope had been an inch higher or lower?

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I am also not a fan of gadgets so specific that only in that solitary instance would it have been useful.

The buzzsaw on the front of the BMW in TND is one such example. What if the metal rope had been an inch higher or lower?

Yeah that is a shocker. How often do bad guys even use a cable to try and stop a car? If it's specific to a planned bit of a mission (like the iceberg in fact: that's clearly Bond's pre-planned escape route) I don't mind, but those gadgets which he has about him 'just in case' can be a bit too convenient sometimes. Like in AVTAK: he has a special credit card which can unlock windows (somehow!), sure that's okay, that might come in handy in a number of situations; but he also keeps on his person a massive Louis Vuitton payment cheque swiper photocopier thing just in case he needs to read a cheque which isn't there? Eh?
    In the same way: Bond just happens to keep a (pretty large) safe cracking machine in his pocket in YOLT. Unfortunately by the next film Q has forgotten how to make them small so has to crane one in through the window to Bond! :D

Can I suggest the most stupid use of a gadget? The bit in DAD where Bond hides behind an invisible car. :))
  • I could certainly think of a few nominees for this topic if there were some pay-off...but since there isn't... I'll go with the iceberg sub.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited November 2020 Posts: 8,037
    thedove wrote: »
    Voting to remain open, but only legal ballots will be counted. :)

1464604948-enuc4tu.gif