Misconceptions and false memories: Our wrong ideas from we weren't familiar with Bond.

Comments

I thought that Sam Mendes would be an amazing director with a great vision, having seen his two efforts I realise that I was sorely mistaken.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I thought that Sam Mendes would be an amazing director with a great vision, having seen his two efforts I realise that I was sorely mistaken.

Ouch! A bit harsh but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I always thought the gunslinger in Scaramanga's Fun House was Bond. Then I discovered it was Roger Moore's double. I often think it would have made more sense to have Bond disguise himself as the cowboy then the statue. Never understood why Scaramanga would have a real Walter PPK with the Statue. It wasn't designed to shoot.
    In fact, yes, it was designed to shoot, as part of the training exercise to hone Scaramanga's skills and keep him on his toes. Which is why the gun was loaded.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    thedove wrote: »
    Thanks @mattjoes and @Dwayne for restoring my sanity. I hope you are right! For the record I think the better quip is "Now you can tell them about the one that got away."

I found this for you, though it's "from the competition":
    Strange Edits and Weird Alternative Lines
    I always thought the gunslinger in Scaramanga's Fun House was Bond. Then I discovered it was Roger Moore's double. I often think it would have made more sense to have Bond disguise himself as the cowboy then the statue. Never understood why Scaramanga would have a real Walter PPK with the Statue. It wasn't designed to shoot.

I thought it was a discarded Roger Moore mannequin from the same funhouse. For real. Never thought he was a real person.

I thought it was a discarded Roger Moore mannequin from the same funhouse. For real. Never thought he was a real person.

Yes same with the Al Capone gangsters being real, though that clearly is more visible. The cowboy has the hat and mustache.

Yes same with the Al Capone gangsters being real, though that clearly is more visible. The cowboy has the hat and mustache.

Yep, Al is visibly real. He moves and flinches when shooting the machine gun, but Roger's double (I guess it's the guy from Octopussy's pre-credits) really passes as an animatronic.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    the only misconceptions i can recall..

for whatever reason i used to think Jaws was in OP - and i thought the whole Pyramids of Giza part was in OP as well.. this was back before i was as familiar with the movies as i am now obviously - i would occasionally catch a random Bond film on TV, and this was back before the guide button LOL, so i had no idea..

i used to think NSNA was an official Bond film, until i learned the history behind that film lol..

and up until a few years ago, i used to believe that Joseph Wiseman was the voice of Blofeld in TB - and i could've sworn i remember reading it somewhere that he was.. but in fact, it was the same voice from FRWL, it just sounded a little different (probably modulated a little, plus the echo effect)..

but the biggest one - was i used to have the misconception that Bond films were boring (i was young lol) i was always curious about them, but whenever they would be on TV, with all the commercials it would usually take 3 or 4 hours to get through them, so i never put in the effort to watch... then Goldeneye64 came out, played that a little bit with some friends and thought "let me give the movie a try and see.".. i caught a showing of it on Showtime shortly after - fell in love with the movie.. it wasn't until the following year though, when i saw TND in theaters that i started becoming a bigger fan - and then, the next christmas, i got DN, FRWL, GF, and TND on VHS from my parents - after that, i was forever a Bond fan, and then began my quest to own them all :D
    When I was young, perhaps about seven or eight years old, and finding out about sex stuff for the first time, I thought that sex before marriage was against the law. God knows where I got that from.
    I remember watching a Connery Bond film on the TV and being amazed that they were showing him getting off with all these women illegally.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited April 2020 Posts: 280
    HASEROT wrote: »
    and up until a few years ago, i used to believe that Joseph Wiseman was the voice of Blofeld in TB - and i could've sworn i remember reading it somewhere that he was.. but in fact, it was the same voice from FRWL, it just sounded a little different (probably modulated a little, plus the echo effect)..

As a longtime lurker of this site, Wiseman voicing Blofeld in TB is a very common misconception.

I don't know why this came to me last night, but I recall as a child my mom telling me that Oddjob couldn't speak properly because he had his tongue cut out. I have no idea where she got that one.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I thought GoldenEye had two different gunbarrel scores. I remember the second time watching it and being like "did they change the tune?"
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2020 Posts: 17,799
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I don't know why this came to me last night, but I recall as a child my mom telling me that Oddjob couldn't speak properly because he had his tongue cut out. I have no idea where she got that one.

Possibly it comes from a reading of the 1959 Ian Fleming source novel where Oddjob has a cleft palate. This renders his speech virtually unintelligible. I know that is not the same thing as being totally mute, but it it might explain the misconception.

shamanimal wrote: »
    When I was young, perhaps about seven or eight years old, and finding out about sex stuff for the first time, I thought that sex before marriage was against the law. God knows where I got that from.
    I remember watching a Connery Bond film on the TV and being amazed that they were showing him getting off with all these women illegally.

I'm sure it was against the canon law anyway. ;)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I thought for years that OP starts with the clown climbing over the wall. Somehow, I missed the PTS the first time and a few years later I was pretty sure that I had seen all movies and suddenly my mom talked about a scene she liked, where Bond flies out of carriage with a fake horse. I didn't believe her and was almost angry that she told me such a "lie".
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,526
    I thought for years that OP starts with the clown climbing over the wall. Somehow, I missed the PTS the first time and a few years later I was pretty sure that I had seen all movies and suddenly my mom talked about a scene she liked, where Bond flies out of carriage with a fake horse. I didn't believe her and was almost angry that she told me such a "lie".

I always forget about Octopussy's PTS and think the clown bit is the PTS as well. :P A shame because it's a cool PTS.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Thanks @mattjoes and @Dwayne for restoring my sanity. I hope you are right! For the record I think the better quip is "Now you can tell them about the one that got away."

I found this for you, though it's "from the competition":
    Strange Edits and Weird Alternative Lines

Now I definitely feel better. I wonder why on certain discs it's one line and then another on other versions. Weird.
    About Joseph Wiseman on TB, I remember reading another wrong thing in a book: It said that the Blofeld on TB was physically Wiseman in an uncredited role, voiced by Eric Pohlmann. AFAIK, it was Anthony Dawson again, am I wrong?
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    About Joseph Wiseman on TB, I remember reading another wrong thing in a book: It said that the Blofeld on TB was physically Wiseman in an uncredited role, voiced by Eric Pohlmann. AFAIK, it was Anthony Dawson again, am I wrong?

No, you’re right

No, you’re right

:-bd
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    As a kid I used to think that DN and FRWL were in black and white as I had only ever seen b/w pictures from them.
    I just watched TWINE again, and having vague memories of thinking Renard was actually immortal, and not just immune to feeling pain. Back when I thought Bond involved the supernatural. ;)
    As a kid I used to think that DN and FRWL were in black and white as I had only ever seen b/w pictures from them.

I also thought there was a Bond movie in black and white, but in this case, it was CR67.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 1,009
    I just watched TWINE again, and having vague memories of thinking Renard was actually immortal, and not just immune to feeling pain. Back when I thought Bond involved the supernatural. ;)

Actually, and it’s a very personal opinion, I think the EON Bond films delved 5 times on the supernatural and/or full-on sci-fi: DN, LALD, MR, TWINE and DAD (in this case, as much as they try to hide it instead of embracing it: one of the many mistakes done in that movie).

And I guess that Dalton's "GE" would have been one of those instances.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    What was supernatural/sci-fi about DN?
    The Dragon, probably.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 1,009
    Are you going to tell me Dr. No's hands are realistic? Yes, I'm THAT picky.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,526

Lol that isn't supernatural though, that was just the effects of the time. His hands (like the Dragon) were just meant to be robotic. Not supernatural.

I think in all your examples the goings on can be more or less explained in a scientific way, even if they're outlandish. Nothing even really happens supernaturally in LALD, ie, no one comes back from the dead or anything.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 5,806
    Apart from Baron Samedi, of course. But that's to be expected of him.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited May 2020 Posts: 4,399

Lol that isn't supernatural though, that was just the effects of the time. His hands (like the Dragon) were just meant to be robotic. Not supernatural.

I think in all your examples the goings on can be more or less explained in a scientific way, even if they're outlandish. Nothing even really happens supernaturally in LALD, ie, no one comes back from the dead or anything.

agreed - i always felt something that is 'supernatural' is something that can't be explained by practical means... Dr No's hands while outlandish, can be practically explained.

as opposed to Baron Samedi being alive at the end of LALD, which is more the obvious supernatural - how did he manage to survive all those poisonous snake bites?.. we don't know... there could be something scientific or biological to explain it, but the movie never affords us that info.. so all we can do is assume he is somehow supernatural.
    Well, simply put, he's THE Baron Samedi.

[Real reason being that Tom Mankiewicz wanted Geoffrey Holder back for TMWTTG, but never came into fruition. But gotta say it would have been MAHHHHHHVELOUS, HAHAHAHAAAAAA]