Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    In quite a few places, including the Hamburg University Medical Centre (which is why I read it in our newspaper today), they are now testing the effects of Remdesivir, an antiviral medication developed by U.S. company Gilead Sciences in the Ebola Crisis, on Covid-19 patients. If the news is correct, it seems to be rather promising in halting or mitigating pneumonia.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 2020 Posts: 23,449
    I would also like to confront those who are, by nature, very panicky, with some other numbers.

In the USA alone, an estimated 480 000 people die of smoking annually, some 40 000 resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. There's no effective cure when the lungs have been pushed over the edge. So where's the panic? Why aren't we putting smokers in quarantine? Why aren't we freaking out over smokers occupying hospital beds that could be needed for other people? In fact, why are we still selling tobacco products?

pie-chart-2017-aag.jpg

There are differences, of course. You see someone smoking; you can easily avoid the smoke, mostly. Especially in these "no smoking in public places" times. You can choose whether to smoke or not, which is different compared to viral outbreaks. But many more children are exposed to smoke at home than there are people who will likely contract the virus in the USA. The likelihood that they, when older, die from these effects is higher than the likelihood that a corona-infected actually dies from his infection.

I understand that there are differences. Huge differences. That I'm comparing apples to oranges. But at least the numbers may give those who are inclined to panic fast some perspective. Worldwide, the number of corona deaths in total is about 10 % of the number of smoking-related deaths in the USA alone per month. The numbers will still rise for sure, but not to apocalyptic extremes, whatever those are. Hopefully, by making this loose comparison, I can get people convinced of that.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Revelator wrote: »
    I'm guessing many of us will be spending the weekend at home, watching movies or listening to music. I hear this DJ is particularly good:

89554729_10158214455586419_5541541932590694400_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=vUD0DAV4rZoAX_hKrFF&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=d9f8a8b6a888c80dd58925b64e6de5d3&oe=5E9311DE

Good lord, that's an epic photo! :D Thank you, @Revelator!

That it is. I think he's making Peter Quill's mix tape!
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Here's an interesting article about different strategies in battling the virus.

“Flattening the Curve” is a deadly delusion

1*jOyyJwEmor8XSbngQEJRVg.jpeg
    Batman narrator : "No , this is not the end , its merely the beginning !"

Just like Batman & Robin were gonna get out of this predicament
    Maybe Walken wasnt so ocd when it comes to hand washing after all ;)
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,126
    Here's an interesting article about different strategies in battling the virus.

“Flattening the Curve” is a deadly delusion

1*jOyyJwEmor8XSbngQEJRVg.jpeg

I've been hearing and seeing this alot flattening the curve.

In other related news.
    The Olympics are still a go
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    In Australia Prime Minister Scott Morrison has implemented travel restrictions for all arrivals into Australia.
    All arrivals will have to self isolate for 14 days, with cruise ships banned from docking for 30 days.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/pm-introduces-strict-travel-restrictions-for-all-arrivals/ar-BB11cFWv?ocid=spartanntp
    I wonder what the impact on our global CO2 emissions will be. Somehow, I think this is giving the planet's lungs a little pause.
    I wonder what the impact on our global CO2 emissions will be. Somehow, I think this is giving the planet's lungs a little pause.

I've been thinking about that too. Will be interesting to see stats etc.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    In my local Hospital, in order to try and protect staff and patients, visiting times have been reduced to 1 hr, and only 1 visitor for each patient. Give the public 5 mins and they'll abuse the rule.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Many people are crossing the border with the Netherlands to "party" over there. Soon, they too will announce draconian measures.

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

China is down 25 per cent this year.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 23,449
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

China is down 25 per cent this year.

Well, despite the tremendous cost, it does show that we can do it.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I'm glad I'm not traveling via airplane this is insane
    I'm just glad I didn't book a vacation anywhere abroad. In fact, I didn't book a vacation anywhere at all this year. Even the German islands in the North and Baltic Seas were closed down today.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not traveling via airplane this is insane

Dear God :-O
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    They closed all the schools in Florida for two weeks as well as the theme parks. However I still have to work tomorrow. I was slated to go to sea world with my family tomorrow but scrapped that once they closed.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    This is essential reading to understand what is at stake and how we know it:
    https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

In other news (sorry, but this IS political), the Trump government offers large sums to a German company for exclusive access to a Covid-19 vaccine for US citizens only.
    So the Netherlands has closed down all public buildings, schools, bars/restaurants and such, theater and cinema. We are on a lockdown until the 6th of April

It seems to work for China after so many weeks as it drives down the contagion even if there are still people dying.

Draconian indeed and perhaps an unique experience for our generations to remember that we are very vunerable in our current society.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 5,774
    Hre, in France, anything non-essential has been closed, from shops to theaters. Schools are also closed, and people are advised to stay home (I can't). Public transports will be slowed down (7 out of 10 trains will run). But strangely enough, the municipal elections have been upheld (first round was today, but I didn't vote because I was travelling back from my vacations, second round is next sunday). They say that every precaution has been taken, but I'm skeptical.
    I'd be glad if all those precautions and appehensions and misgivings turned out unfounded. In a situation like this, it is not about who ends up being right when the crisis has ended, but who originated the necessary measures for the worst case. Germans just decided to close the borders (some neighbouring countries have done that anyway) and basically all "Bundesländer" (what the Americans would call "states") have enacted their own rules closing down clubs and restaurants and, yes, cinemas. Probably a sensible decision. That happened far more quickly than anyone would have expected, given the time that German andministrations usually claim they need to decide.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Now the government are considering telling "those 70+ and those with underlying health issues" to self isolate for up to 4 months. Do they not realise how stupid that sounds? What if they don't have access to a computer, or live by themselves?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2020 Posts: 23,105
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    On my 4th day of Self isolation because of symptoms, though I have not been tested. Isolation is more about the benefit of others more vulnerable.
    ---

God I love Arnie :))
    It was probably naive to think this thread wouldn´t turn political at some point...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    jobo wrote: »
    It was probably naive to think this thread wouldn´t turn political at some point...

This virus has nothing to do with politics. It's a matter of human health and the effect it is having on the entire world.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

Excellent! :))

Whiskey was also the name of the horse in a western movie with young Schwarzenegger and Kirk Douglas.