Dish Out of Water: Eric Serra Appreciation

Comments

@PDJamesBond are you talking about Serra's original tank music or the one that appears in the film?

@Daniel316 I was referring to the music that appears in the film. I'm not personally as much of a fan of the original.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    @PDJamesBond are you talking about Serra's original tank music or the one that appears in the film?

@Daniel316 I was referring to the music that appears in the film. I'm not personally as much of a fan of the original.

Gotcha. ;)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    @Octopussy I like every single note of the soundtrack too, including The Experience of Love.
    Funny piece of trivia, some notes of this track from the Léon score seem to have inspired TEOL's melody:

GoldenGun wrote: »
    @Octopussy I like every single note of the soundtrack too, including The Experience of Love.
    Funny piece of trivia, some notes of this track from the Léon score seem to have inspired TEOL's melody:

A lot of the suspense cues from GoldenEye evolved from Léon, too.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 1,081
    GoldenGun wrote: »

A lot of the suspense cues from GoldenEye evolved from Léon, too.

+1

Great track. You can definitely see parallels between Leon and Goldeneye.

I particularly love Serra's score in this scene.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Here’s the original tank chase music synced with the film.

Very European.

Awful. Thank god MGW had the sense to have it re-done by Altman.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Serra's 'A Pleasant Drive in St. Petersburg' is gorgeous music on it's own. But I have to be honest, as much as like Serra's score, it just didn't suit that scene. Maybe something to do with Brosnan's serious facial expressions & the big action not fitting in with the track or the track being playful, even if it's a great track.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,185
    Now this is a thread to my liking.
    GE's Soundtrack is my personal favorite.

When I watched GE back in 1997 i did not have a concept of what a James Bond movie was supposed to sound like because i hadn't seen one before. All i knew, or rather felt, was that the music and moods perfectly fit in with the images.
    Today i still hold that opinion. It's a perfect, emotive score, and now i can also see that Serra very much was going for Barry in many instances.
    He knew which moods to emulate, be it the glamourous and elegant, romantic cues in 'we share the same passions' or the dark sweeping orchestral Tones of Goldeneye Overture. But he always added his own flavour as well, as one should.

A track like Ladies first might sound a bit dated now but is not out of line with works like TSWLM or FYEO, it was just music of that time and era. Overall the soundtrack is flawless. I even applaud the Genius decision to NOT have any music in the final part of the fist fight between Bond and Trevelyan, because that makes it so much more intense and visceral. I wonder who made that choice.

I also like expirience of love, a very mellow and beautiful note to end the movie on, and rounds it out perfectly.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Serra's 'A Pleasant Drive in St. Petersburg' is gorgeous music on it's own. But I have to be honest, as much as like Serra's score, it just didn't suit that scene. Maybe something to do with Brosnan's serious facial expressions & the big action not fitting in with the track or the track being playful, even if it's a great track.

I find it very video-gamey.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

I find it very video-gamey.

Bull's Eye.
    00Agent wrote: »
    Now this is a thread to my liking.
    GE's Soundtrack is my personal favorite.

When I watched GE back in 1997 i did not have a concept of what a James Bond movie was supposed to sound like because i hadn't seen one before. All i knew, or rather felt, was that the music and moods perfectly fit in with the images.
    Today i still hold that opinion. It's a perfect, emotive score, and now i can also see that Serra very much was going for Barry in many instances.
    He knew which moods to emulate, be it the glamourous and elegant, romantic cues in 'we share the same passions' or the dark sweeping orchestral Tones of Goldeneye Overture. But he always added his own flavour as well, as one should.

A track like Ladies first might sound a bit dated now but is not out of line with works like TSWLM or FYEO, it was just music of that time and era. Overall the soundtrack is flawless. I even applaud the Genius decision to NOT have any music in the final part of the fist fight between Bond and Trevelyan, because that makes it so much more intense and visceral. I wonder who made that choice.

I also like expirience of love, a very mellow and beautiful note to end the movie on, and rounds it out perfectly.

+1
  • I find it very video-gamey.[/quote]

I feel this way about all of Brosnan's movies and I love them for it.

I look at his run as
    GoldenEye
    Tomorrow Never Dies
    The World Is Not Nnough
    Nightfire
    Die Another Day
    Everything or Nothing.

Love "agent under fire" but I feel like that's dalton's 3 bond film we didn't get.

Also would have been cool to see pierce in a more serious movie like "FRWL"
    Why are computer games considered? Is that a joke?
    suavejmf wrote: »

Not for some.

Not for some.

Terrible.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

Not for some.

Terrible.

🙄
    I think including Games, means his entire catalogue. Just like Toby Stephens will say he has played James Bond too...even if it's on radio & unofficial.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,028

Not for some.

Terrible.

Why? I'm not a big gamer myself but I have played a few of the Bond games in the past and enjoyed them, just like I have the films.

Not for some.

Terrible.

Why? I'm not a big gamer myself but I have played a few of the Bond games in the past and enjoyed them, just like I have the films.

Because IMO computer games are (or should be) for children. As a kid I loved commuter games in the 80’s/ 90’s, but adults didn’t play them. It’s a sad time now......

The books and films are amazing. But it’s a sad state of affairs when the games are appreciated on the same level.

Not for some.

Terrible.

Because IMO computer games are (or should be) for children. As a kid I loved commuter games in the 80’s/ 90’s, but adults didn’t play them. It’s a sad time now......

The books and films are amazing. But it’s a sad state of affairs when the games are appreciated on the same level.

Fair enough. I can't argue against personal taste! I think you're definitely going to be in the minority there of course, as there are more adult video games being produced than ever before and it is a larger industry than both the literature and film industries combined!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The conceit that video games should only be for children is a very western trope much like the conceit that animation is only for children. In short, it’s BS.

My grandpa used to play video games as a pastime back in the 80s/90s. Wouldn’t refer to him as being childish for enjoying an activity.
    The conceit that video games should only be for children is a very western trope much like the conceit that animation is only for children. In short, it’s BS.

My grandpa used to play video games as a pastime back in the 80s/90s. Wouldn’t refer to him as being childish for enjoying an activity.

I agree it is a western trope, but one I agree with. If I told my colleagues in the Board Room on Monday that my hobby was ‘gaming’ it would be deemed a bit sad. I’m not insulting anyone here, I’m agreeing with the western trope point.

Each to their own. If adults want to play computer games as a hobby, no problem.

But for me personally, I’m not interested. I’d rather watch a film or read a book.
  • suavejmf wrote: »

I agree it is a western trope, but one I agree with. If I told my colleagues in the Board Room on Monday that my hobby was ‘gaming’ it would be deemed a bit sad. I’m not insulting anyone here, I’m agreeing with the western trope point.

Each to their own. If adults want to play computer games as a hobby, no problem.

But for me personally, I’m not interested. I’d rather watch a film or read a book.

Variety is the spice of life, I prefer to watch movies, read books, listen to music and play videogames.

Also make music, if not most of the time :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2020 Posts: 13,894
    Thinking that videogames are for children isn't a western "trope" it's simply... wrong. In the last... 3 (maybe) generations, storytelling in games has gotten stronger and stronger.
    Give The Last Of Us a chance, then some back and tell me games are for children.

Nightfire was good, but Everything Or Nothing can easily be considered as Brosnan's 5 Bond. Games have come a long, long way from the 80's and 90's. You might as well say that the only people who should watch French films, are the French. Or any other nationality for that matter. No offense taken, but I feel that you are doing modern games a big diservice to write them off as for children.
  • Thinking that videogames are for children isn't a western "trope" it's simply... wrong. In the last... 3 (maybe) generations, storytelling in games has gotten stronger and stronger.
    Give The Last Of Us a chance, then some back and tell me games are for children.

Nightfire was good, but Everything Or Nothing can easily be considered as Brosnan's 5 Bond. Games have come a long, long way from the 80's and 90's. You might as well say that the only people who should watch French films, are the French. Or any other nationality for that matter. No offense taken, but I feel that you are doing modern games a big diservice to write them off as for children.

"The last of us" is amazing, cant wait for the sequel.
    Also "The Uncharted series" is awesome like an indiana Jones, James bond adventure with other stuff thrown in for good measure.
    Tbh like I'm sure many others videogames have carried us bond fans at times when the movies have been further between.
  • To bring it back to Eric Serra, I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but the dude really does have his own vibe, from the instrumentation choice, evoking some real mood.
    Something I also didn't realise was the amount of instruments and samples he'd tune up or down. From the closing of a door, to the meowing of a cat.
    Whether you love him, hate him or aren't assed. You cant deny his music is his own, even if not to everyone's taste.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Serra's Bond Score feels 'Cold' like the Russian Plot in the film. A great Score...only sometimes I can't help but think, had Serra used the Bond theme the way he stylized it for the Gunbarrel & The Goldeneye Overture, John Altman might not have been brought in for the Tank Sequence. Serra only used the Bond theme more in the early minutes of the film it seems. But all in all, I like his score....I also think he did a brilliant job with the Score's Romantic Moments-'We share The Same Passions' & 'For Ever James' dominate the Score effectively. I also like how 'For Ever James' segues into 'The Experience of Love' to close-off the film. Although, I wonder why Serra didn't weave the 'The Experience of Love' into the score....considering it's his song. Similar with what Arnold did with 'Surrender'.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It would have been odd, considering Serra already used an instrumental cue of "The Experience of Love" in LEON: THE PROFESSIONAL. Had it turned up in GE during the film it probably would have been even more controversial among fans, but since the song is relegated to the credits it doesn't get as much attention.