The Mendes/ Deakins Connection

Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
edited November 2011 in Skyfall Posts: 642
As they are 'all over it' right now on Skyfall, I just thought we could look at their last collaboration 2006's Jarhead. Your thoughts folks, what elements of director/d.o.p. magic were on display? What would you like to see in terms of colour tone, lighting and aspect ratio? Take it away. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you do. To quote Empire; Deakins "peppers the screen with visuals to stir the loins of any red-blooded male" grrr.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 23,559
    I think they picked a certain style which suited the film best, considering the story they wanted to tell. I don't necessarily think it's a style they will choose to transport to SF. As such, I leave it in the hands of these professionals to think carefully about the film they are willing to make and the style that fits said film best.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Absolutely, please dont misunderstand me, I'm not suggesting Jarhead 2 at all, I'm trying to extract what people feel they were good at together and maybe get a bit more technical as opposed to just talking about plot and characters..I know you do technical Darth! Bring it people, let's talk film making..:-)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Deakins seems like a DP, who likes to play around with minimal light, and a lot of shadows or dark spaces at times (which is kind of what I like doing as well).. to really draw you in to a center of focus... his work isn't very bright, or bold - he seems to use a very muted color palette, but he used it extremely well, especially when you mix in the use of shadows with it.

here are some clips of Deakins work that I gathered, that I find beautiful to look at from a lighting standpoint - forget direction, film plot, acting, all of that - just focus on the composition of the shot, and the way it's lit.

The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

True Grit

The Village

The Shawshank Redemption

i am not too familiar with Mendes work outside of Road To Perdition... but if he can pull off the look of that film, with some of Deakins' lighting brilliance.. then this should be a beautiful film to look at :-)
    As they are 'all over it' right now on Skyfall, I just thought we could look at their last collaboration 2006's Jarhead.

Their last movie together was Revolutionary Road in 2008.

• Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    ^Well let's talk about that too then... One amended the thread title too. Thanks Pistoles. :-)
    Let us not forget Bardem and Deakins have worked together in the past as well.. No Country For Old Men
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    @haserot: Nice collection that you assembled there. I think we can expect the use of quite some lighting effects in SF. Hopefully not overdone, though.

Here is more, with comments by Deakins himself:
    <a href=" True Grit Featurette on YouTube</a>