Rank the Lewis Gilbert films

2»

Comments

• edited November 2011 Posts: 1,310
    The Spy Who Loved Me

You Only Live Twice

Moonraker

As I've said before, the first half of Moonraker is Top 5 Bond worthy, but the film just collapses once it gets to the cable car fight. One of the biggest missed opportunities in the entire series if you ask me.
    TSWLM
    MR
    YOLT
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 4,762
    1)TSWLM
    2)MR
    3)YOLT (Connery's performance killed it for me)

Agreed on Connery's performance. Terrible, terrible performance in which you can tell his enthusiasm is completely gone. Put that against the overall dullness that the movie seems to carry, and YOLT is one of the most boring Bonds ever. The fight with Osato's driver and the ending battle are the only real treats in the entire movie.
    SJK91 wrote:
    The Spy Who Loved Me

You Only Live Twice

Moonraker

As I've said before, the first half of Moonraker is Top 5 Bond worthy, but the film just collapses once it gets to the cable car fight. One of the biggest missed opportunities in the entire series if you ask me.

Agreed also! Moonraker is pretty solid until Bond gets to Rio. The cheesy puns, including Jaws, come in fast, overwhelming you with disappointment, because like you said, there's a missed opportunity.
  • 1.) You Only Love Twice
    2.) The Spy Who Loved Me
    3.) Moonraker
    TSWLM
    YOLT
    MR
    - YOLT
    - MR
    - TSWLM
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agent005 wrote:
    1. The Spy Who Loved Me
    2. You Only Live Twice
    3. Moonraker

Ditto
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 140
    1. The Spy Who Loved Me
    Arguably the slickest Bond formula film of all. Gilbert truly found his muse in Roger Moore. Rog was in his element in Gilbert's Superhero Comic Book version of James Bond's world, unlike Sean Connery, who seemed a little embarrassed to be there. A PTS that is among the highlights of the series, one of the most iconic evil henchmen, and a more grand and epic feel make this one of the most unforgettable rides in James Bond's storied history.

2. Moonraker
    When I was a schoolboy in the mid-1980s and my schoolfriends and I were going through our Bond phase, it was a self-evident truth that Moonraker was the greatest Bond film of all. Any attempt to disagree might make you the object of ridicule. Now that I'm no longer 11 years old, I don't put it on quite the same pedestal, but it's still a lot of fun.

3. You Only Live Twice
    Beautiful scenery and one of John Barry's best scores. Connery is great even when he's phoning it in.

I love all of Lewis Gilbert's Bond films. My only serious misgiving is that many people, including many Bond fans, seem to have latched on to Gilbert's style as definitive for the entire James Bond movie franchise. If it isn't an extravagant sci-fi comedy in the Gilbert style, then it isn't really Bond, or so the reasoning seems to go. While I thoroughly enjoy these films, I don't want all the Bond films to be just like them.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 14,800
    Since it is three times the same story I'm tempted to put them ex aequo.
    1. Moonraker
    2. The Spy Who Loved Me
    3. You Only Live Twice
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    1. YOLT (outrageousness played seriously)

2. TSWLM (outrageousness played outrageously)

3. MR (outrageousness played out.)
    1. TSWLM
    2. YOLT
    3. MR
    1. You Only Live Twice
    2. The Spy Who Loved Me
    3. Moonraker
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    1. The Spy Who Love Me (one of my favorites!)
    2. You Only Live Twice
    3. Moonraker
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    1) TSWLM - Classic.
    2) MR - Way out there at times but entertaining on the whole.
    3) YOLT - Great beginning and great end but boy does it drag in the middle.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    1) Spy
    2) YOLT
    3) MR

but, just on Gilbert's direction;

1) Spy
    2) MR
    3) YOLT.

I find Gilbert to be a pacy, extioc and imaginative director.
    1.TSWLM
    2.YOLT
    3.MR
    1. TSWLM
    2. YOLT
    3. MR
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    1. TSWLM
    2. MR
    3. YOLT
  • 1 - The spy who loved me
    2 - You Only live twice

3 - Moonraker
  • Moonraker will always be Gilbert's best, and most memorable release for me. In fact it's in the top five for me of all the 23 James Bond titles. The Spy Who Loved Me comes some distance behind in second place, with You Only Live Twice not far behind. Easily one of the best James Bond directors who ever got the honor to direct the iconic figure. Pity in retrospect he never got to direct one or two more in the series
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Moonraker will always be Gilbert's best, and most memorable release for me. In fact it's in the top five for me of all the 23 James Bond titles. The Spy Who Loved Me comes some distance behind in second place, with You Only Live Twice not far behind. Easily one of the best James Bond directors who ever got the honor to direct the iconic figure. Pity in retrospect he never got to direct one or two more in the series

Quite. I could see Gilbert doing A View To A Kill, better than Glen's staid direction I would imagine.