Watching Bond with our kids.

13»

Comments

• Surprised the kids love GF so much considering 80% of it is people driving around. :)
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    OK, guys - giving this old one an excellent hearty BUMP!

My wife is currently at the cinema watching NTTD with my youngest daughter. I will update you with her reaction.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    BondStu wrote: »
    OK, guys - giving this old one an excellent hearty BUMP!

My wife is currently at the cinema watching NTTD with my youngest daughter. I will update you with her reaction.

Cool! But keep it spoiler-free please! My son 3 by now, but I guess that's still slightly too young....
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    My 6 year old grandson had heard from his dad about a car that turned into a submarine.

He was very sceptical until I showed him the clip from TSWLM.

He now believes it 😁
    My 6 year old grandson had heard from his dad about a car that turned into a submarine.

He now believes it 😁

Just dont mention invisible cars, mate!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Mathis1 wrote: »

He now believes it 😁

LOL 😆 I wouldn't subject him to that just yet! 😁
    Mathis1 wrote: »

He now believes it 😁

LOL 😆 I wouldn't subject him to that just yet! 😁

Oh but you should!
    Now is the only time of his life where he'll view Die Another Day positively! :))
  • Antster007Antster007 Somewhere, keeping the British end up
    My 11-year-old daughter recently asked if she could watch a Bond movie. As a Bond fan of many years, this was music to my ears. Following a detailed discussion of the films and actors, we decided to start with the Moore era, as this was the first Bond I recall watching as a child of the 70’s/80’s.

The first film she chose was Moonraker. I tried to persuade her to start with TSWLM to ensure continuity of the JAWS character, but she was insistent.

It was the first time, in a long time that I had watched Moonraker. It’s the film that often divides opinion, but I found myself enjoying it just as much as I remember enjoying it, as a young boy. My daughter shared my feelings towards the film. Her favourite parts were the PTS, centrifuge, cable car and the space station. Whilst the space scenes do seem dated now and far-fetched, it was the late 70’s and Star Wars was the rage back then, so I don’t have an issue with it.

In summary, she though Sir Roger was excellent, Drax was cool, the sets and locations were great, and the music was ace!!

Ignoring the silliness, it’s a more than solid Bond film, with some iconic scenes and dialogue. My score was 8/10, my daughter gave it a 9.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Your daughter is a 10 @Antster007, if I can say that.

• Antster007Antster007 Somewhere, keeping the British end up
    Your daughter is a 10 @Antster007, if I can say that.

Thanks 👍
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 7
    I got my daughter (13yrs old) into Bond movies as well. She got a first taste of a bond movie when she happen to saw me watching CR for the preparation of watching NTTD and she sat beside me to watch as well. She loved it especially the Opening Credit Title Sequence. B-)

So we (I'm excited to introduced to her into the Bond world) watched all DC's bond movies and she love all of them especially Skyfall (because of Adelle's song).

So my wife, her and my son (has a name... Sean James B-) B-) ) all eagerly watched NTTD on an iMax cinema and she has a lot of picture with all the Bond cast's standee at the cinema. So happy seeing her done that.

After the movie she asked me when is the next Bond movie... I told her maybe in 3 years. Her excitement turns to disappointment maybe she thought it will be every year. :))

PS:
    When we watched Goldeneye she said that... "James Bond looks weird... he has black hair" :))
  • Leon12Leon12 England
    I took my 11 year old son and 14 year old daughter to see No Time to Die. It was emotional for me because my dad used to take me to watch the RM Bond films at the cinema. Must admit I was close to tears at the end, can I say that, lol.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Tracer1 wrote: »
    When we watched Goldeneye she said that... "James Bond looks weird... he has black hair" :))

:D
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    My boy has now seen about a half dozen clips from action sequences. He loves all the soundtracks we listen to in the car and are now having imaginary adventures with some Bond figurines I have. Not sure if he's quite yet ready for his first Bond at 4 and a half... But it will be Moonraker for sure when he's ready.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Now this is really a new thread for me. But it must be said that the less violent Bond movies have always been tagged "12" and no less in Germany, and some of the others rated "16". I don't have children, and I think if I had I'd be there to advise them, but I don't suppose any of the Bond movies are suitable for four-year olds, even accompanied by their parents.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I reviewed this thread and see I need to update things a bit.

My 11 year old and I have been watching Bond movies in order. Except for a few exceptions.

We have now seen the following:

DN
    FRWL
    GF
    TB
    YOLT
    OHMSS (skipped this one in our Bond-a-thon as my son said we had watched it recently)
    DAF
    LALD
    TMWTGG (skipped this one as he says he hates it, I like this film so this one hurts! LOL)
    TSWLM

He said his favourite is still SF, but rounding out his top films are Spy, DAF and FRWL. Quite the mix of movies. It will be interesting when we get to Eyes as the last time I attempted to show it he claimed it was a boring film and we only watched till the ski chase sequence.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2023 Posts: 4,415
    My youngenst niece wil turn 13 soon, but if i was her father i wil not have showed her DC era. I was 11-12 years old when i watched LTK on Video 2000.

I have enough movie's she and her brother can watch, but there only visit my house onces and even for animated he is mabey stil to young to watch them in English.

I watched Spectre in the cinema with my brother ( He have seen Brosnan movie's too) and he only did this for me and wish there return to less serious times of Goldeneye (We playing game on N64 from another nefjure with who we watched DAD), NTTD be first Bond movie i visit alone. Can't blame it Corona alone.

Iam almoost 43,with my lower mental age (Some people think iam 33-36 max) own kid is stil possible in max next 10 years and i already have name for a girl. But it was not realy wish for long time and with all nature/world looking those days.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    My boy has now seen about a half dozen clips from action sequences. He loves all the soundtracks we listen to in the car and are now having imaginary adventures with some Bond figurines I have. Not sure if he's quite yet ready for his first Bond at 4 and a half... But it will be Moonraker for sure when he's ready.

I'm as impatient as you (allthough my 'I will never watch a Bond-film' wife has finally seen CR and is interested in more now, so I have a new partner in crime), but I think this is (way) too early. My boy turns 5 today, but it won't be for another 3-4 years that I'll see if I can introduce him to Roger Moore.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    My daughter will be 3 before I know it and I've already introduced her to large sections of all of the films. She joined me in her tiny toddler months during my rewatch before NTTD released in theaters and would tune in and out whenever something caught her eye (she really seemed to enjoy GF when I got to that one). Looking forward to her getting older and finding out if she has any real interest in them.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I have two boys 9 and 7 who are obsessed with Bond. They've studied The Essential Bond book from the late 90s and I still catch them reading it on a weekly basis.

So far they've watched the majority of the films with me with the exception of DAF, FYEO, LTK, TND, TWINE, CR after the parkour scene, QOS, SP and NTTD.

They enjoyed them all with the exception of FRWL and YOLT and to an extent LALD but mostly due to Baron Samedi creeping them out. They love SF, DAD, TMWTGG, GE and MR. With them being so young, I did skip some scenes such as Xenia crushing Farrell, her shooting up Severnaya, Bottoms Up and Jinx and Bond shagging in Cuba. Gotta keep some sort of discretion at that age. They've been begging me to watch DAF but I think they wouldn't enjoy the somewhat convoluted plot of diamond smuggling etc. And LTK is a no go for a few more years.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I love about reading your experiences with your kids watching Bond. I never had that situation (or make that "pleasure"), but I'd still point out that none of the Bond movies was rated less than "12" in Germany, and some were even "16". Certainly not because of the sex, but the violence.

While I think that some of the age rating over here is a joke (today I could only accept delivery of a Blu-ray of "Foxy Brown" by showing the DHL delivery guy my identity card because the movie is still rated "18" after about fifty years...and I'm almost fifty years above that age, so any delivery person should be able to tell...but then, they have to record the name and IC number to make sure!), I can still see why the Bond movies are not really suitable for young children, unless they have a very careful accompaniment by their parents when watching them. It sounds like you're providing that, but still I'd be reluctant to let five-year olds (or so) see the movies.

Quite apart from the fact that when I was that age, I had to be in bed at seven p.m.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 2,742
    Don't have kids myself, but I do have younger siblings/cousins I've shown Bond films to before. I get it, it's a tricky one trying to gauge what age is best to show them these films when they're young.

This is going back a while now, but my youngest cousins were very fond of TSWLM when they were about 8 or so (it's actually a major reason I re-visited that film/appreciate it more now in recent years). Later on it was CR and SF that stood out when it came to the modern Bond films.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Will probably wait until 5-6 to show him MR and maybe a couple others with skipping a few parts.
    It's definitely a challenge on when to introduce, especially when many of his four year old classmates have watched all the Marvel movies already.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    We just finished watching MR. My son, who is now 12, loved the fight in the glass works between Bond and Chang. He was also quite spooked by the death of Chlorine. He said at the conclusion of the chase..."why didn't she jump into the golf cart?" I couldn't provide a suitable answer for him.