NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I've watched the new trailer several times now (quite a lot to be honest) and I know it's a trailer, and they can be deceptive. But if this film is as good as it looks, then the five year gap will almost be worth it.
    It has an epic look with stunning cinematography, I'm hoping it's akin to Bond's of old.
    James Bond saves the world from a megalomaniac hell bent on destroying the world.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Benny wrote: »
    I've watched the new trailer several times now (quite a lot to be honest) and I know it's a trailer, and they can be deceptive. But if this film is as good as it looks, then the five year gap will almost be worth it.
    It has an epic look with stunning cinematography, I'm hoping it's akin to Bond's of old.
    James Bond saves the world from a megalomaniac hell bent on destroying the world.

:-bd
    JamesCraig wrote: »

:-bd

:)>- ^:)^ :D
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Just like old times then. Good enough for me ;)
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 12,837
    I’m really surprised at how excited I am to see Lynch’s character. Usually I don’t like the “Bond’s equal” Bond girls. They’ve cast some good actresses, Michelle Yeoh for example is cool. But I think the problem is they’ve never bothered actually making those girls Bond’s equal. They’re good at fighting and shooting, sure, but there’s more to Bond than that. Bond is a unique, stylish British icon. You can’t just stick a bird in a catsuit and give her a gun and say “look, she’s as cool as Bond”.

I think in DAD they were on the right track. The way Jinx uses Bond for a shag was a fun subversion for example. But still, she’s not Bond is she. She’s an American Bourne/Terminator esque super agent, with a ton of cringey lines, who eventually falls into being a damsel in distress by the end anyway, making you wonder what the point was.

But Lynch is a British actress, playing a 00. Drives an Aston, oozes charisma, and they seem to be going all out to make her as stylish and badass as Bond. I’m not going to be calling for a spinoff or anything, but if they get this right, then I think she could be my favourite Bond girl.

Plus, I do think it’s cool we have a black 00. Bond is a family affair, I think most of us grew up watching it. And Bond was always my childhood hero despite being a lot whiter than me, I’m not saying kids can’t have heroes who look different to them. But it’s nice to give those kids someone that looks similar isn’t it. I know when I was a kid, I would’ve thought it was the coolest thing in the world to have a 00 who looks like me, fighting alongside Bond as an equal, with their own gun and Aston and all the rest of it. I do think representation like that is a good thing.
    pachazo wrote: »
    pachazo wrote: »
    I think by the end of this one he might actually surprass Dalton as my favourite Bond

Pigs are flying!

Haha, I’d have never expected it either. Told me that’d happen ten years ago and I’d have laughed at you. But the more I reflect on it, as we’re nearing the end, the more I’ve realised how much I’m gonna miss him.

Although we haven't interacted much throughout the years, I have read many of your posts and have always respected your input. I was hoping that my comment wouldn't offend but just relay my shock. I'm glad you have found a new appreciation for Craig but will always know you as a staunch Dalton supporter!

Likewise mate :) And I think one of the reasons I struggled to warm to Craig at first was probably the stick Dalton had gotten. Guess this new actor getting to do the whole dark, gritty Bond thing and finding more success doing it rubbed me the wrong way as a Dalton fan. But once we finally got past the origin story, Skyfall really won me round. Plus, Dalton’s gotten a bit of a reappraisal lately anyway, and it’s nice seeing an actor of Craig’s stature (my opinion on him as Bond has varied, but I’ve loved him as an actor since OFITN) carrying on Dalton’s legacy.

Over time I’ve noticed how Craig has differentiated himself too. There are similarities with Dalton, but six actors in, there always will be similarities with what’s come before. I do think he’s done a good job of carving out his own distinct take. Going lighter has helped with that imo. He’s still playing him as an assassin, but he’s not the burnt out, remorseless anti-hero Dalton was. There’s still some of the old school, patriotic playboy in there (Mendes really bought that out of him), whereas with Dalton you got the sense all that had long since faded, and he was just a mission or two away from the psychatrist’s sofa.
    Alternate international cut with some more footage
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    antovolk wrote: »

Some nice extra landscape shots there.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

Some nice extra landscape shots there.

Yeah nice to see the Atlantic Road and Maratea. Lots of sunrises and sunsets here.

Is that Safin saying “She still loves you”..?
    It's definitely Blofeld saying that.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    It's definitely Blofeld saying that.

Yes you’re right I just re-watched it with headphones.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Great post @thelivingroyale , I think Nomi is shaping up to be one of the most interesting characters of NTTD. From the info we've got from the trailers, she seems well written, with a real possibility of being a contender for a 'Bond equal' the likes of which we haven't seen. Lashana Lynch is a great choice for the role, with not only good looks and charisma, but also she's a damn fine actress. I love the shot in the trailer, of Nomi in combat gear, moving back into the darkness. She looks confident and dangerous. Something a OO agent should be. I hope Ms. Lynch gives us all of this and more.
  • antovolk wrote: »

I think this is a noticeably better trailer...it's neater and just more impactful.

Weirdly enough, I keep hearing the new trailers as being 'cartoony' and people seem to be referring to DAD way more than I thought...not sure how I feel about that.

4684608-9610150441-46846.gif
    5729584.png

I think this is a noticeably better trailer...it's neater and just more impactful.

Weirdly enough, I keep hearing the new trailers as being 'cartoony' and people seem to be referring to DAD way more than I thought...not sure how I feel about that.

4684608-9610150441-46846.gif
    5729584.png

Why would you feel any way about what other people say about it? :p

I've seen similar comments but they're mostly from people on Twitter who weren't interested in the film anyway.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Who keeps referring to DAD? I haven't seen that.

I do wonder sometimes why people can claim to see the 'bad' CGI and yet I can't see anything no matter how hard I stare at the screen. Despite umpteen viewings I can't see what is obvious about the face swap in the PTS to Skyfall.
    It may be my age and eyesight, in which case, as you were.
    I really couldn't differentiate CGI. It looks great to me.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I think the reason why people are mentioning DAD, is because DAD might be Cartoonish, but it's the last Bond film to have the typical Bondian tropes in its action scenes. Not saying CR, QoS, SF and SP don't have Bondian action. But it's been quite long we saw a missile or rocket, a Combat Plane, a Ship or a Submarine in a Bond film. I think that's why most people are saying the trailer reminds them of the Bond of Old.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think the reason why people are mentioning DAD, is because DAD might be Cartoonish, but it's the last Bond film to have the typical Bondian tropes in its action scenes. Not saying CR, QoS, SF and SP don't have Bondian action. But it's been quite long we saw a missile or rocket, a Combat Plane, a Ship or a Submarine in a Bond film. I think that's why most people are saying the trailer reminds them of the Bond of Old.

Which I guess is a good thing.

I'm not however convinced that some people can actually detect the CGI as clearly as they claim.

It's also Craig's first "end of the world" style plot with a megalomaniac villain. Only Silva came close before this, really.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,247
    NicNac wrote: »

Which I guess is a good thing.

I'm not however convinced that some people can actually detect the CGI as clearly as they claim.

Exactly. It's a good thing.

Sure. I think the CGI is good.

It's also Craig's first "end of the world" style plot with a megalomaniac villain. Only Silva came close before this, really.

Indeed. Silva was the closest. And the Apocalyptic feel of NTTD is indeed a first for Craig's Bond, which we can all agree is essential for him.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    The CGI is realistic and effective. End of.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Ok, not gonna lie, that looked mighty stylish, the Bond theme (after the MGM logo) gave me tingles (could that be the gunbarrel theme?). I have gone and re-watched that part of the trailer just to head that take on the Bodn theme.

It's no secrect that I have never been a fan of the Craig era.SF made me loose interest, and I necver watched SP on the big screen. On the strength of this trailer, part of me wants to see NTTD on the big screen. But..... another part of me feels that the film should be delayed until 2021, and if it is released this year then I should avoid the cinema.

• edited September 2020 Posts: 850

Ahem

i4634Qi.png

Don't know is it is CGI, but:
    - If it isn't : Why it's look like that it is.
    - If is : why use CGI for that kind of scenes that can be do in real?

In any case, it's bothering me...
    so Naomi is the new 007 well hopefully by the end of the film Bond is 007
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,869
    - If is : why use CGI for that kind of scene?
    In any case, it bothering...
    Well while I don't really see what you're seeing, my only answer to that would be that the film tonally is very glossy so maybe that's why things seem more computer generated to some people, or if your point is regarding the probable replacement background, well maybe the shot wasn't very cinematic or picturesque without replacing certain aspects of the surroundings?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I’m really surprised at how excited I am to see Lynch’s character. Usually I don’t like the “Bond’s equal” Bond girls. They’ve cast some good actresses, Michelle Yeoh for example is cool. But I think the problem is they’ve never bothered actually making those girls Bond’s equal. They’re good at fighting and shooting, sure, but there’s more to Bond than that. Bond is a unique, stylish British icon. You can’t just stick a bird in a catsuit and give her a gun and say “look, she’s as cool as Bond”.

I think in DAD they were on the right track. The way Jinx uses Bond for a shag was a fun subversion for example. But still, she’s not Bond is she. She’s an American Bourne/Terminator esque super agent, with a ton of cringey lines, who eventually falls into being a damsel in distress by the end anyway, making you wonder what the point was.

But Lynch is a British actress, playing a 00. Drives an Aston, oozes charisma, and they seem to be going all out to make her as stylish and badass as Bond. I’m not going to be calling for a spinoff or anything, but if they get this right, then I think she could be my favourite Bond girl.

Yeah I tend to agree: obviously we know to approach these things with caution after Jinx etc. (!) but everything I've seen her she actually looks quite genuinely cool. I love that quick shot of her in the corridor with Madeline, one hand in pocket- she's looking super confident there.
    I really hope they make her work: it'd be nice to have a supercool female agent on Bond's level who isn't all about showing off her bum in a catsuit (although Michelle Yeoh certainly made a good fist of that- it was actually slightly disappointing when they ended up kissing at the end: it didn't ring true to me).
    edited September 2020 Posts: 2,541

Ahem

i4634Qi.png

Not really, why would they waste so much money to shoot real explosion with plane flying by which we saw in BTS? take a look at 0:58 to 1:00 .

That plane shot is definitely real.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Lovely thank you! Finally a shot of the Atlantic Road: surprised they haven't used that more in the trailers.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Ahem

i4634Qi.png

I admit I thought that looked a bit fake too. Almost like there's too much detail on the plane, but then it may be a grading thing.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I don't that'll happen @Risico007, more so because it would feel tacked and kind of unnecessary considering this is Craig's last film. Also, not having him be 007 in this film at any point, wouldn't change anything about the future.

And just realistically speaking, how would that be possible? James Bond's role as 007 isn't a big of a deal within the world of these films. It was his number. He retired, so that number now belongs to a new agent. The only way he could get it back would be Nomi dying, and him deciding to return to MI6, and I doubt very highly that she's going to die. I also don't think she's just going to be like, "You want to come back? Here's your number back. I'll have a different number." Again, would be very odd, and would be more pandering than actual storytelling.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I don't that'll happen @Risico007, more so because it would feel tacked and kind of unnecessary considering this is Craig's last film. Also, not having him be 007 in this film at any point, wouldn't change anything about the future.

And just realistically speaking, how would that be possible? James Bond's role as 007 isn't a big of a deal within the world of these films. It was his number. He retired, so that number now belongs to a new agent. The only way he could get it back would be Nomi dying, and him deciding to return to MI6, and I doubt very highly that she's going to die. I also don't think she's just going to be like, "You want to come back? Here's your number back. I'll have a different number." Again, would be very odd, and would be more pandering than actual storytelling.

IK disagree as i kind of want things back to the status quo by the end of the film