NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Murdock wrote: »
    Funny enough I was looking through my CD shelf and found a copy of The Rock soundtrack that I didn't even know I had. I don't remember when I got it. It must have been around the time I found a pair of Opera glasses that look like the ones Bond used in the beginning of TLD.

tasco1.jpg

This is the most Murdock thing you've ever written, @Murdock
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »
    Funny enough I was looking through my CD shelf and found a copy of The Rock soundtrack that I didn't even know I had. I don't remember when I got it. It must have been around the time I found a pair of Opera glasses that look like the ones Bond used in the beginning of TLD.

tasco1.jpg

This is the most Murdock thing you've ever written, @Murdock

We aim to please. :D
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    There's a certain schadenfreude I'm feeling with regards to EoN completely bypassing David Arnold. We're incredibly lucky to have Zimmer doing this. This is the man that scored Gladiator!!!!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Anyone mentioned 'Going For Gold(finger)' yet?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    There's a certain schadenfreude I'm feeling with regards to EoN completely bypassing David Arnold. We're incredibly lucky to have Zimmer doing this. This is the man that scored Gladiator!!!!

I suppose that N. Peal ad didn't really give EON second thoughts after all.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 871
    I always liked the theme from Rain Man.

Other than that, I can't say I find Zimmer's music very memorable. He seems to be the composer who makes quality music that accompanies a film's scene, but it usually isn't too powerful to take the scene over. This is the opposite of Barry IMO, but it's probably what many directors like.

I'm not sure I'll like this, but let's see.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    It's a good thing I like wine occasionally. ;)
    I'll try to return when there is more news.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I like him, but there were moments during Interstellar that it sounded like he fell asleep on his keyboard.
    I like him, but there were moments during Interstellar that it sounded like he fell asleep on his keyboard.

:))
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 4,400
    This is epic....

(I think Zimmer will do a variation of his Batman scores for Bond - after all, Batman/Bruce Wayne is basically the American James Bond.)

Pretty sure that bit was Junkie XL, as he was scoring the music for Batman's story while Zimmer would focus on Superman's story. This was done because Zimmer didn't want to touch Batman again after having done enough with Nolan's Batman films.

Speaking of which, Junkie XL would have been a great pick too for Bond!
    This is epic....

(I think Zimmer will do a variation of his Batman scores for Bond - after all, Batman/Bruce Wayne is basically the American James Bond.)

It's pretty good, but unfortunately that's all Junkie XL's work. They split the workload as Zimmer felt his music for the Nolan Batman films would be too much of an influence on him when it came to finding a new theme for Affleck's version of the character.

But, I guess Junkie did a good job replicating Hans' sound, so I suppose your sentiment is ultimately left intact, and he very well may do that!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Pretty sure that bit was Junkie XL, as he was scoring the music for Batman's story while Zimmer would focus on Superman's story. This was done because Zimmer didn't want to touch Batman again after having done enough with Nolan's Batman films.

Speaking of which, Junkie XL would have been a great pick too for Bond!

That's interesting: I didn't know that.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,247

Yeah, the thing is Zimmer recently, has scored a lot of Sci-fi movies, that's why it always seems as if his scores are the same....Coz they're obviously about the same genre. and why it felt as if he slept on his Keyboard was coz it's a movie about space....and some tracks should feel like one is in space....some sort of silence i think. These days once a movie involves Space or Sci-fi or anything Big, RCP composers seem to be the first on studios' list. NTTD looks a gargantuan Bond film....so it's no surprise Zimmer is involved.
  • As I understand it, the plan was that Zimmer would do Superman. However, in the end he scored most (if not all) the Batman stuff.....I'm sure there is someone here who could clarify.

He confirms it here at 03:50 minutes:

edited January 2020 Posts: 8,026
    As I understand it, the plan was that Zimmer would do Superman. However, in the end he scored most (if not all) the Batman stuff.....I'm sure there is someone here who could clarify.

He confirms it here at 03:50 minutes:

Interesting. Nobody can say he doesn't care after that!

Edit: Laughed when Hans refers to Tina Guo as "well put together".
    Ah, thanks for sharing!
  • 00Dalton700Dalton7 Portsmouth
    I guess it’s highly unlikely now that the score will have the melody from the title track woven into it!

Would’ve of killed them to have Arnold back? And actually collaborate with the title track artist?

Also Craig really deserves a Bassey title track! Connery has 2, Moore had one. dalton wasn’t around long enough and Brosnan got Bassey light with Tina Turner.

And yeah I know you could count No good about goodbye but damn it would’ve been sweet to see Craig off with everything that made his debut perfection.

Jeffery Wright, talented director, awesome Collins casting, David Arnold doing his best Bind work and ending Craig’s era with a score and title track to mark the 25th film as a celebration of everything Bond!
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Skyfall is DC's Bassey track.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    00Dalton7 wrote: »
    I guess it’s highly unlikely now that the score will have the melody from the title track woven into it!

I don't think there's any reason to think that. He's used other peoples' compositions in his work before, and he'll certainly be expected to use the Bond theme. And as the title song is probably done now there might even be more chance of using it.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom

I suppose that N. Peal ad didn't really give EON second thoughts after all.

😂😂😂
    Minion wrote: »

Pretty much.

Bassey isn't doing another Bond song. Not Paul McCartney. Not Tom Jones. Not Duran Duran. They all had their time, let new artists get a crack at the title song.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Minion wrote: »

Pretty much.

Bassey isn't doing another Bond song. Not Paul McCartney. Not Tom Jones. Not Duran Duran. They all had their time, let new artists get a crack at the title song.

Yes please.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I love Zimmers scores and look forward to his Bond music but wouldn't it have been simpler and cheaper to have hired Arnold from the start instead of an untried composer who has no experience of scoring a film as big as Bond?

Scratch one director and one composer... 😕
    I love Zimmers scores and look forward to his Bond music but wouldn't it have been simpler and cheaper to have hired Arnold from the start instead of an untried composer who has no experience of scoring a film as big as Bond?

Perhaps, but it would have been less interesting. That it ultimately leads to Zimmer was worth it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Perhaps, but it would have been less interesting. That it ultimately leads to Zimmer was worth it.

Well hopefully it will be worth it but my confidence in the producer's is at an all time low at the moment...
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    This is epic....

This 30 minutes piece of music is the best thing ever happened to a superhero film. Zimmer at his prime.

Must say I'm excited for this. Zimmer knows how to work a theme.
    *waiting for grumblings from those upset that Zimmer didn't use Williams' theme*
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    *waiting for grumblings from those upset that Zimmer didn't use Williams' theme*

John Ottman anyone? :D