No Time to Die production thread

Comments

I wonder how much EON really worry about BO. The film costs are always covered by product placement before the film is even released. They always seem pretty relaxed.

Over the years they've had smashes and not so successful films but they've always made money.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    It does seem like they are trying to hide this movie. You see it alot when studios aren't confident in the production, I wonder if their are any reshoots planned? It just doesn't make sense to be this quiet by this stage. The wait for Bond 25 has been lomger than any other Bond film in the last 20 years! You'd think they would be eager to put our minds at rest, but with only, what, 5.2 months left, still not even a basic 2 minute teaser? If they had all the footage ready, JBD would have been the perfect opportunity. Seems like they are still unsure of how they want to present the film?

Of course if Adian Turner was Bond in NTTD it would be a whole different story.
    They're not going to go heavy on the publicity till around late January early February. Maybe some stuff around Christmas. So as per usual, you're over exaggerating the situation.
    It does seem like they are trying to hide this movie. You see it alot when studios aren't confident in the production, I wonder if their are any reshoots planned? It just doesn't make sense to be this quiet by this stage. The wait for Bond 25 has been lomger than any other Bond film in the last 20 years! You'd think they would be eager to put our minds at rest, but with only, what, 5.2 months left, still not even a basic 2 minute teaser? If they had all the footage ready, JBD would have been the perfect opportunity. Seems like they are still unsure of how they want to present the film?

Er, sorry, "they're not confident in their movie", where on earth does that come from? They have a planned marketing strategy which they have figured out, in detail, with the studio and that's that. End of story.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Er, sorry, "they're not confident in their movie", where on earth does that come from? They have a planned marketing strategy which they have figured out, in detail, with the studio and that's that. End of story.

@ColonelSun you're trying to use logic on someone who has none.
    Benny wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »

@ColonelSun you're trying to use logic on someone who has none.

Too true. We try, how we try.

One V-log, two production stills, a photo-call, a few clapperboardpictures and a poster. That's it so far, right? Wish they would give the fanbase something - anything - to discuss or to get our expectations up.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    One V-log, two production stills, a photo-call, a few clapperboardpictures and a poster. That's it so far, right? Wish they would give the fanbase something - anything - to discuss or to get our expectations up.

This can't be argued with. I'm not one to complain about the marketing, and I don't think they owe us anything. That's beyond the point.

But I am sure they know they have a fanbase. And they could very well play with it. Just because. Because it's one of the oldest fanbases and it spans generations. So why not interact with it more? And I'm not talking about NTTD only. I'm talking about it in general. Why don't they have a department (one person, even) to interact with us from time to time.

Not communicating with your audience at all can work, sure. Personally, that's my thing. Even if I have to make the occasional appearance. But we're talking about thousands and thousands of life long fans. Why not trow them a cookie once and awhile?

About NTTD, well they have time, sure. And once it rolls, it rolls big. So I'm not worried. That's not to say that, as a fan, I wouldn't like to be treated with some sort of care.

But hey, they do what they do, and I'm their fan, not only a Bond fan, but their fan. So I'll roll with it.
  • RC7RC7

Why would they do that when the majority of the most vociferous ‘fans’ are simply waiting to throw it back in their faces? Nah, I’m good. There’s a new Bond film out in just under 6 months. That’s enough for me. Anything else is a bonus.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 3,169
    @Univex

Personally deep down inside, I actually like that they keep me in the dark. It will be a nice change for me, not knowing what to expect. So I do hope that the trailers aren't going to reveal too much. I don't have enough selfcontrol to not watch them.

Regarding the fanbase: Maybe it's just where I come from, but teenagers here of today are more into Marvel and Netflix than Bond. It's not like the pre 90's where Bond didn't have that same kind of competetion. I wonder how many on this forum are below the age of 25? And what the state of the "lifelong fanbase" is in 20 or 30 years, when people who grew up on Moore slowly pass away.
    Univex wrote: »
    Why not trow them a cookie once and awhile?
    That's all I want. I'm not in the "Hey, where's the f***** trailer"-camp, but just an occasional still or clapperboardpic would be fine.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 3,164
    Spot on @Zekidk. As I said earlier, Bond doesn't have the sort of younger and more hyperactive and - more specifically - social media driven fanbase that Marvel or Star Wars do..so 'breadcrumbs' for them would unfortunately be far less effective. Bond fandom isn't 'mainstream' in the way those other ones are. Whether they're 'lifelong' doesn't matter, if anything that's what makes it less attractive from a marketing/content POV.

There's some disparate parts: the Bond fansite community and their forums, a couple of people on social, a couple of YouTubers such as Calvin Dyson and The Bond Experience and then the female-driven Tumblr fanbase that established following Skyfall and Whishaw's Q (which overlaps with the actor's own social media fanbase).
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

This can't be argued with. I'm not one to complain about the marketing, and I don't think they owe us anything. That's beyond the point.

But I am sure they know they have a fanbase. And they could very well play with it. Just because. Because it's one of the oldest fanbases and it spans generations. So why not interact with it more? And I'm not talking about NTTD only. I'm talking about it in general. Why don't they have a department (one person, even) to interact with us from time to time.

Not communicating with your audience at all can work, sure. Personally, that's my thing. Even if I have to make the occasional appearance. But we're talking about thousands and thousands of life long fans. Why not trow them a cookie once and awhile?

About NTTD, well they have time, sure. And once it rolls, it rolls big. So I'm not worried. That's not to say that, as a fan, I wouldn't like to be treated with some sort of care.

But hey, they do what they do, and I'm their fan, not only a Bond fan, but their fan. So I'll roll with it.

But the thing is... we are not "the" Bondfanbase.

• edited October 2019 Posts: 4,400

antovolk wrote: »
    Spot on @Zekidk. As I said earlier, Bond doesn't have the sort of younger and more hyperactive and - more specifically - social media driven fanbase that Marvel or Star Wars do..so 'breadcrumbs' for them would unfortunately be far less effective. Bond fandom isn't 'mainstream' in the way those other ones are. Whether they're 'lifelong' doesn't matter, if anything that's what makes it less attractive from a marketing/content POV.

There's some disparate parts: the Bond fansite community and their forums, a couple of people on social, a couple of YouTubers such as Calvin Dyson and The Bond Experience and then the female-driven Tumblr fanbase that established following Skyfall and Whishaw's Q (which overlaps with the actor's own social media fanbase).

I think this film has a lot of marketing potential to both seasoned fans and new audiences. You have:
    • The locations! (something for traditional fans and new fans)
    • It’s Daniel Craig’s last film (a big sell of fans of the series and Craig’s films)
    • Ana de *freaking* Armas (an old school Bond girl that will go down very well with the fans and new audiences who love her recent work)
    • The new 007 (she’s a black woman – something that has already lit Twitter ablaze and ignited the interest in a whole rung of potential new fans)
    • Rami Malek! (@antovolk speaks of Tumblr fans – well Malek has a ton of online fans who will come out in force. He’s a huge star with the millennial crowd and will be a key figure in selling the films)
    • Young arty director who is adored by cinephiles and appeals to younger crowds.
    There is a lot to sell this film with…….so it’s surprising that Eon are so silent. At least put out a video blog of Fukunaga and Craig talking about the plot, etc.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    @Univex

Personally deep down inside, I actually like that they keep me in the dark. It will be a nice change for me, not knowing what to expect. So I do hope that the trailers aren't going to reveal too much. I don't have enough selfcontrol to not watch them.

Regarding the fanbase: Maybe it's just where I come from, but teenagers here of today are more into Marvel and Netflix than Bond. It's not like the pre 90's where Bond didn't have that same kind of competetion. I wonder how many on this forum are below the age of 25? And what the state of the "lifelong fanbase" is in 20 or 30 years, when people who grew up on Moore slowly pass away.
    That's all I want. I'm not in the "Hey, where's the f***** trailer"-camp, but just an occasional still or clapperboardpic would be fine.

Me and few others indeed. In Italy youngsters don't seem to care about Bond at all, I've watched four Bond movies at the theatre and besides me and my cousin everyone was at least 30/40 year old or much older. But I was told in this thread (or another one, I'm not sure) in the last few weeks that in the UK many teenagers are Bond fans, so who knows.
  • It does seem like they are trying to hide this movie. You see it alot when studios aren't confident in the production, I wonder if their are any reshoots planned? It just doesn't make sense to be this quiet by this stage. The wait for Bond 25 has been lomger than any other Bond film in the last 20 years! You'd think they would be eager to put our minds at rest, but with only, what, 5.2 months left, still not even a basic 2 minute teaser? If they had all the footage ready, JBD would have been the perfect opportunity. Seems like they are still unsure of how they want to present the film?

Perhaps there's some spoilers that they just don't want getting out - like major ones - remember Naomie Harris saaid there were some shocks in this one.
    @Univex

Exactly! Glad we're on the same boat on this. Was afraid some would misunderstand my post as a being on the "Hey, where's the f***** trailer" camp - as you said. Good posts, @Zekidk and @antovolk.
    JamesCraig wrote: »

We're not? Part of, then?
    HMBFF wrote: »
    I relate it, @HMBFF.
    “Actually, Barry Jenkins, the director of ‘Moonlight,’ he always said that he wanted to do a Moneypenny spin-off, so maybe…” stated Harris.

After that tease, we had to ask whether she’d had a chance to get Jenkins together with EON Productions, who is in charge of all things Bond, and she said, “I did. I got him together with Barbara [Broccoli], and they had a little discussion, but nothing’s happened so far, but you never know.”
    Not automatically a bad idea, I'd like to hear the pitch and story proposals.

Filmed and released in the lurch between Bond missions. Could be entertaining with a different approach and presentation than OO7 of course. Could also be a training ground for EON's own talent, allowing them to promote from within.
    tumblr_pzpfasfPMk1ytvm9qo1_250.jpg

I think it would likely delay B26 by at least another 2 years.
    Walecs wrote: »
    @Univex

Me and few others indeed. In Italy youngsters don't seem to care about Bond at all, I've watched four Bond movies at the theatre and besides me and my cousin everyone was at least 30/40 year old or much older. But I was told in this thread (or another one, I'm not sure) in the last few weeks that in the UK many teenagers are Bond fans, so who knows.

Interesting. Kids have always been an important market for Bond so wonder whether this is something EON consider. The Craig films have been quite dark and relatively joyless affairs.

edited October 2019 Posts: 3,497
    @Univex

Exactly! Glad we're on the same boat on this. Was afraid some would misunderstand my post as a being on the "Hey, where's the f***** trailer" camp - as you said. Good posts, @Zekidk and @antovolk.

Of course we are ;-)

But some of us are craving for a teaser, while the movie has just wrapped filming AND the release date is in April.

And where is the marketing for the following "big" movies of 2020?

- Black Widow
    - Tenet
    - Wonder Woman 1984

;-)
  • manovermanover uk
    Once again..anxiety has won the day..their is plenty of time for promotion of the movie...i think the general public are aware that their is a movie coming...im sure their will be a teaser soon. Most likely best to wait a couple of weeks for star wars fever to die down..
    From january onwards thats when real promotion starts.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    One V-log, two production stills, a photo-call, a few clapperboardpictures and a poster. That's it so far, right?

Yep, pitiful after asking fans to wait 4+ years again.
    @Univex

Of course we are ;-)

But some of us are craving for a teaser, while the movie has just wrapped filming AND the release date is in April.

And where is the marketing for the following "big" movies of 2020?

- Black Widow
    - Tenet
    - Wonder Woman 1984

;-)

Tenet had a teaser months ago, and doesn't come out until July. And Wonder Woman number 1 only can out in 2017, not 2015 like Bond. And Black Widow has featured in loads of films since then.
    Did the Tenet teaser create any buzz at all? Have hardly seen any talk about it before and since.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 3,497
    Did the Tenet teaser create any buzz at all? Have hardly seen any talk about it before and since.

No, because almost nobody got to see it in theaters...

@Mendes4Lyfe

Your way of wanting to prove your point is very tiresome. I'm talking about marketing concerning specific "big" movies.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    edited October 2019 Posts: 630
    Getafix wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    @Univex

Interesting. Kids have always been an important market for Bond so wonder whether this is something EON consider. The Craig films have been quite dark and relatively joyless affairs.

I'm 29 BTW, so I'm out of your audience report @Walecs :D
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

@Mendes4Lyfe

Your way of wanting to prove your point is very tiresome. I'm talking about marketing concerning specific "big" movies.
    Even if EON released the trailer, he would just find something else to be nasty about.

Why did it get such a limited release?
    Maybe underexposure is the new thing

You're right! I haven't seen a decent cleavage in mainstream films for years.

:-D
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 3,164

one word: Nolan. He doesn't want it online and WB went ahead with that, partly given how little it shows.

"No Time To Die - coming soon, only in a few selected theatres"

one word: Nolan. He doesn't want it online and WB went ahead with that, partly given how little it shows.

Agreeing to a decision like that seems odd to me.