No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Contraband wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    I don't see the point of posting this pic here mate.

Unlike many others chatting about corona and god knows what else in this thread I'm usually sticking to the topic, posting NTTD stills and info. Now I made an exception with one Bautista-photo and also added there's more in the actors thread.

I think we all can survive one off topic-still, right?

Sure we can survive don’t get me wrong. I’m just saying that’s not even Bond related. It’s a pic of a Rian Johnson film. Chatting about Corona here is OT obviously but at least Corona has something to do with the fate of this film. XD
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Nothing screams woke like Bond doing donuts in the DB5 while moving down baddies with the headlight machine guns

🤣🤣🤣
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I wonder how much of NTTD is going to be set in London? I mean probably when Bond returns from Cuba to meet M, go back to MI6 and also visit Q. Is that all?
    Personally I think it'll be a welcome break, we've seen quite a lot of the city in the last two films
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Ironically it's the people calling out 'wokeness' that are actually creating it and making it a thing. 'Woke' is just a big lie influenced by political context. For example, people moaned that Nomi's line in Jamaica undermines James Bond as a character and an agent, but cut to 2006 and we were all loving the train sequence where Vesper (universally considered one of, if not, the best Bond girl) basically rips into Bond, but because the context of Nomi's character is dripped in accusations of 'wokeness' - it's a problem. If we had that train sequence today isolated in a marketing campaign, the same people would be moaning.

You make a brilliant point.
    I think though they perhaps wouldn't be moaning as much if it were delivered by Green today because there's an obvious difference between her and Lynch.
    Yea I’m pretty sure the person who called PWB “woke” isn’t actually familiar with PWB.

I notice that the people who do describe her as that are mostly only familiar with her from her performance as a robot in Solo. And they seem to think that she wrote it 8-|
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    And when you look at the big picture, it's quite obvious that one of the things that didn't work in Spectre was the Bond-Madeleine romance, which feels underwritten, especially in a film that long. Maybe it was the actress, maybe it was the director, or maybe it was the script. It's not a stupid idea to involve a woman who's a screenwriter to give more depth to the female characters on No Time to Die.

Totally agree with your point, just as a side issue I think when you watch her scenes Seydoux is doing absolutely everything she can to make Madeline's softening towards Bond over the course of her scenes work: she's throwing in little looks and body language wherever she can, it's just that the script doesn't give her much to work with.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    mtm wrote: »
    And when you look at the big picture, it's quite obvious that one of the things that didn't work in Spectre was the Bond-Madeleine romance, which feels underwritten, especially in a film that long. Maybe it was the actress, maybe it was the director, or maybe it was the script. It's not a stupid idea to involve a woman who's a screenwriter to give more depth to the female characters on No Time to Die.

Totally agree with your point, just as a side issue I think when you watch her scenes Seydoux is doing absolutely everything she can to make Madeline's softening towards Bond over the course of her scenes work: she's throwing in little looks and body language wherever she can, it's just that the script doesn't give her much to work with.

Chalk that up to many fingers in the pie having four different writers and a director who really didn't want to make the film and exhausted his vision completely with Skyfall.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 1,215
    talos7 wrote: »
    “ Woke” is political and social correctness on steroids and Meth.

Based on interviews with PWB, I don’t think there’s anything to be concerned about; she seems to embrace the character of Bond.

As far as Nomi, I have nothing against the character at all; I just don’t find her the least bit attractive, but that’s just personal tastes.

That's not really the point with Nomi, is it? Yes, she's a female character but I never got the impression that she was supposed to be a Bond girl, she's another 00 agent who happens to be female. Is she as "traditionally" attractive as Lea and Ana? Perhaps not. Does she look the part of a young, combat trained, up and coming 00 operative? Definitely.

Nomi's character as a whole challenges the idea that every female character in a Bond movie exists to serve as eye candy, and I for one am here for it.

She gives such a compelling performance in the film, very glad she's back. The women in Fukunaga's major works always have such a moral weight and emphasis in the journey. I think a lot about "Maniac" and how it may relate to how he portrays their [Bond and Swann] relationship in NTTD — this idea of acceptance.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited June 2021 Posts: 7,888

Based on interviews with PWB, I don’t think there’s anything to be concerned about; she seems to embrace the character of Bond.

As far as Nomi, I have nothing against the character at all; I just don’t find her the least bit attractive, but that’s just personal tastes.

That's not really the point with Nomi, is it? Yes, she's a female character but I never got the impression that she was supposed to be a Bond girl, she's another 00 agent who happens to be female. Is she as "traditionally" attractive as Lea and Ana? Perhaps not. Does she look the part of a young, combat trained, up and coming 00 operative? Definitely.

Nomi's character as a whole challenges the idea that every female character in a Bond movie exists to serve as eye candy, and I for one am here for it.

Why thank you, I’m well aware of that , but the world of Bond is not about reality. I go to a Bond film for a lot of things, one of them is attractive women. How myopic to think that a beautiful woman isn’t capable of roles that are more substantial than “eye candy.”.

• talos7 wrote: »

Why thank you, I’m well aware of that , but the world of Bond is not about reality. I go to a Bond film for a lot of things, one of them is attractive women. How myopic to think that a beautiful woman isn’t capable of roles that are more substantial than “eye candy.”.

Nobody is saying that a beautiful woman isn't capable of a more substantial role, it's that not every woman in a Bond film needs to be a "beautiful woman." Sure, Bond isn't about reality, but it is a refreshing change to not have every supporting female character look like a supermodel, especially when the role doesn't necessitate it.

Traditional beauty (which is largely subjective) has become a prerequisite for being a Bond girl and we've got two Bond girls in Madeleine and Paloma that fit the bill. I think it's wise to cast the actress who best embodies the role of a new 00 regardless of how beautiful she is.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

There’s already Lea Seydoux and Ana de Armas. Hell, even Naomie Harris. Plenty of attractive women in this flick, why should one actress who’s not meant to be eye candy be problematic? Was this also an issue with Judi Dench?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    And I get all of that and have nothing against the character, including her possibly being 007 and giving Bond a hard time ; I will watch the film and accept her , but must I find her attractive? Yes beauty is subjective, and I know some do find her to be appealing, but I want to see attractive women, as you say “ traditionally attractive, in a Bond film.

That’s all I have to say on this.
    And I get all of that and have nothing against the character, including her possibly being 007 and giving Bond a hard time ; I will watch the film and accept her , but must I find her attractive? Yes beauty is subjective, and I know some do find her to be appealing, but I want to see attractive women, as you say “ traditionally attractive, in a Bond film.

Nobody is telling you to find her attractive. What are you going on about?
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Man in white t-shirt, holding a rig with Canon camera or similar. I think he's shooting BTS-vlogs. Seen him before on other locations. Maybe I'm wrong?

8IDKhYe.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

There’s already Lea Seydoux and Ana de Armas. Hell, even Naomie Harris. Plenty of attractive women in this flick, why should one actress who’s not meant to be eye candy be problematic? Was this also an issue with Judi Dench?

Although she wasn't exactly horrible-looking in her day! :)
    The idea of TV/movies only casting beautiful women (unless they're specifically written to be dowdy) is very much an old school way of how filmmakers did things. Not surprising, because of how male dominant film-making was back in the day.

Look at the original 1960s Star Trek, EVERY female officer on Kirk's ship can qualify for modeling. Skip right to the 80s with The Next Generation which featured middle aged women as officers. That would have NEVER happened in the 60s. This is why when women reached a certain age that they were relegated to playing motherly roles.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

Nobody is telling you to find her attractive. What are you going on about?

To be fair I just took it as an observation, I don't think she's especially attractive either. And I will evaluate those things since she's shown dressed up at the club in Jamaica and other venues.

She's also not presented in the trailers as very likable. That could help the story, or the film could make her outright loveable.
    I think she's supposed to come off competitive. Basically we're gonna see Bond and Nomi have a bit of a rivalry, no different than how we see male comrades act in so many movies, especially buddy cop genre. The most recent example being THE FALCON AND WINTER SOLDIER where Falcon and Bucky have a sort of friendly rivalry, but at the end of the day are good partners.
    I'm almost looking more forward to the soundtrack than the actual film.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited June 2021 Posts: 8,009
    I'm almost looking more forward to the soundtrack than the actual film.

Same here. I actually forget that Zimmer is scoring the film from time to time and the reminders get me super excited when they hit me.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited June 2021 Posts: 4,343
    I’m starving for some new content. A Zimmer interview would be awesome.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    What gets me more excited about the score is, Zimmer & Marr might aim to top their work on Inception. Because they were already doing the Bond thing in a subtle way with Inception's score. So I can imagine what they would do now that it's an actual Bond film.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 615
    cwl007 wrote: »
    People throw the term 'Woke' around in much the same way people said " it's political correctness gone mad" 2 decades ago when anything would even come close to threatening their opinion. On anything!
    There is rarely any nuance to the use of the word or explanation of why it is such a troubling concept. (It isn't by the way)
    PWB is a woman, she must be Woke. Nomi MIGHT be 007, it must be Woke. I don't like it, it's so woke...
    How's about it might be just good story telling or might be trying something different or maybe even, heaven forbid, positive progress.
    Here's a mad idea. Watch the film first and then decide. Sorry, rant over.
    Well said! I totally agree.

Am getting sick to death of all the juvenile "anti-woke" WHINING that seems to permeate everything these days.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I guess it might be for the official Bond podcast which he presents. Even if not we probably won’t hear this interview until the film starts getting publicised I would guess.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium

I guess it might be for the official Bond podcast which he presents. Even if not we probably won’t hear this interview until the film starts getting publicised I would guess.

It's indeed for the podcast, and I guess we'll see the marketing machine kicking back into full gear in a few weeks or so.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Well, Nomi isn't UN-attractive. That said, not all female characters have to be attractive:

giphy.gif

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2021 Posts: 5,834
    While I personally find Lashanna Lynch very attractive, it's unnecessary to Nomi.

I think that's an attitude that still needs to change because it's never a conversation that comes up with villains or allies. No one complains when Felix or M aren't attractive, but for some reason (probably because of how Bond girls are viewed and the more heterosexual view of the franchise), the female characters "have to be".

I think when growth in terms of female characters is mentioned by these actresses, this is what they're talking about. The character should be important, not whether you would or not.

Also, as a bisexual man myself, I've never been attracted to a James Bond actor. Does that mean it affects my opinion of them as the character? No.

And if beauty is subjective (which it is), then it's impossible to find every single Bond girl attractive anyway. So what's the problem in this case tbh?
    While I personally find Lashanna Lynch very attractive, it's unnecessary to Nomi.

I think that's an attitude that still needs to change because it's never a conversation that comes up with villains or allies. No one complains when Felix or M aren't attractive, but for some reason (probably because of how Bond girls are viewed and the more heterosexual view of the franchise), the female characters "have to be".

I think when growth in terms of female characters is mentioned by these actresses, this is what they're talking about. The character should be important, not whether you would or not.

Also, as a bisexual man myself, I've never been attracted to a James Bond actor. Does that mean it affects my opinion of them as the character? No.

And if beauty is subjective (which it is), then it's impossible to find every single Bond girl attractive anyway. So what's the problem in this case tbh?

Like Halle Berry I wish she had her hair longer. It's all about the character but I see no wrong in appreciating beauty ...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yup, totally agree. If you look at our MI6 crew we've got Whishaw playing Q, and I know he's not exactly break-the-mirror ugly or anything but he has fairly quirky looks; and then we've got Naomie Harris who is stunningly gorgeous. Rory Kinnear hasn't been doing many fashion shoots in glossy magazines that I've seen either. Men are allowed to be interesting-looking but women have to be perfect and beautiful: there's no reason why they can't be both.