No Time to Die production thread (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• edited October 25 Posts: 1,050
    I side with those who can wait to see it in the theater. I just found out that some theaters in my area are already open (I hadn't checked all year since no other film piqued my interest). I agree with those who believe Bond films will always be made for the big screen, and that the theater experience is something we shouldn't give up. I think it would cheapen the Bond experience to have it go straight to home streaming, but sometimes money does talk. It's a tricky situation, this pandemic. There have been devastating losses, but we've come a long way in knowing how to deal with the virus; getting a vaccine would help; and most movie theaters have good ventilation systems. Perhaps it remains to be seen if theaters that will be open by April can turn enough of a profit and stay open till this thing is over--the timing of the vaccine enters into this. And by spring/summer we should be over flu season, so any major spike should've fallen by then. It's also a good point that NTTD is not the only film scheduled for release. It can be a painful decision, but an important one: if some people succumb to this terrible thing or have been touched by such sad losses, should we stop doing some things for everyone? My opinion is no, especially as I believe the most painful part is behind us. Also because entertainment is an escape from the troubles of everyday life! We need that escape, in a safe way. So I hope to still see NTTD in the theater, and I would go see it even before I get the vaccine.

Also, while I've been a fan of the Daniel Craig era, I sincerely hope this will be his last Bond film, mainly due to his age, but also because "it's time", after what will have been 5 films. I think Bond needs a new face, perhaps one more like "Hoagy Carmichael" and with darker hair, a man with a younger body, perhaps even better able to battle a villain or do amazing stunts, a new Bond with a different way of bringing the character to life or perhaps closer to the "ideal" for some of us. But of course, first bring on NTTD! Incidentally, I just saw a comment elsewhere from a person who thought that, while Ian Fleming had Vesper say in the book that Bond reminded her of Hoagy Carmichael, this person thought Fleming may've modeled Bond's looks somewhat after his elder brother Peter Fleming, who Ian had worshipped and who had engaged in behind the lines operations in WW2, since readers would've known about Carmichael but didn't know what his brother looked like. You can see his photo below, though he may not have had the "cold and ruthless" look Fleming gave Bond. I actually see some resemblance to Sean Connery, but with more fineness.
    https://www.nysoclib.org/sites/default/files/Peter-Fleming.jpg
  • The sad truth is that no studio has yet figured out how to match the amount of money that a full theatrical release provides. That's why EON/Universal/MGM have no incentive to put their movie on VOD or sell it to a streamer at a cut-price rate.

Mulan showed the dangers of what happens when you try to have an overseas theatrical release and digital domestic one at the same time. When a high-quality version of the movie already exists and is available to the public, the risk of piracy increases immensely.

Mulan showed the dangers of what happens when you try to have an overseas theatrical release and digital domestic one at the same time. When a high-quality version of the movie already exists and is available to the public, the risk of piracy increases immensely.

It was not an overseas release. It was an "only in countries, that don't have Disney+ release".
    Theatres in many big markets like UK, Germany, France etc. wanted to screen Mulan, but weren't allowed, because those countries have Disney+.
  • edited October 25 Posts: 187
    Jan1985 wrote: »

It was not an overseas release. It was an "only in countries, that don't have Disney+ release".
    Theatres in many big markets like UK, Germany, France etc. wanted to screen Mulan, but weren't allowed, because those countries have Disney+.

That's true, but the numbers don't lie. It absolutely cratered in all those countries, including China itself. Piracy is extremely rampant in overseas territories already and having thousands of pristine "straight from the source" HD copies being dumped on the internet simultaneously totally destroyed all chances of it being a hit.

I should be clear here, I absolutely do think selling it to a streaming service works; but selling the domestic rights and keeping international ones will do them very little good. They might as well go for worldwide at that point.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I would pay to watch it at home, I would probably also risk seeing it in a cinema if it came out but I'm obviously a big fan.
    I wouldn't claim to know what the solution is nor what is best for their film: it's their decision as the film is their investment so I'm sure they'll pick whatever is best for them and I'll go along with it.
    Its a shame the running time is so long as they could have considered a standard release via stream and an extended "directors cut" eventually when the cinemas are fully open. I get the feeling that plot is essential in this film (rather than just an action roller coaster ) so once the "cat is out of the bag", it will be hard to get people to pay again to watch it on the big screen.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Got this yesterday: Japanese Screen magazine, December 2020 issue:

s-l1600.jpg
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    QBranch wrote: »
    Got this yesterday: Japanese Screen magazine, December 2020 issue:

s-l1600.jpg

Any cool pics in it?

We'll see in two weeks.
    We'll see in two weeks.

Ah, placed an order. My bad..

Do you have the link?
    edited October 25 Posts: 9,878

Thanks.

Trying to find the magazine's website. Do you have any clue?
    Since nothing new NTTD comes out, watch a much thinner Adele hosting SNL yesterday.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Robotswana
    Contraband wrote: »
    Since nothing new NTTD comes out, watch a much thinner Adele hosting SNL yesterday.

Also, today we have rain here where I live.

Also, today we have rain here where I live.

Let the sky fall.....
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Loved her appearance on SNL. Great to see her again, looking forward to the album whenever she can get it finished. Skyfall is still up there as one of the top title songs.

So in the US audience members are allowed to sit without distance next to each other, including cheering etc.?
    I thought the US would be extra strict with those regulations.
    Does that mean, that you can sit at a cinema aswell without social distancing? Or just at a TV studio, which would be very strange.

I thought the rules (1.5 to 2 metres) were the same all around the world?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

So in the US audience members are allowed to sit without distance next to each other, including cheering etc.?
    Does that mean, that you can sit at a cinema aswell without social distancing? Or just at a TV studio, which would be very strange.

Tickets for SNL are always scarce. In this case, ticket holders must pass a COVID test.

https://www.newsweek.com/snl-coronavirus-precautions-get-your-front-row-audience-seat-stay-safe-1534668
    TripAces wrote: »

Tickets for SNL are always scarce. In this case, ticket holders must pass a COVID test.

https://www.newsweek.com/snl-coronavirus-precautions-get-your-front-row-audience-seat-stay-safe-1534668

Okay. But even a negativ test doesn't say, that they are negativ on the moment they sit in the studio.
    Unless they get isolated in quarantaine after the test until the results are in, and then are brought to the studio with no contact to others. That would be an operation over some days.

But as it is stated the guests get tested when arriving at the studio.
    Doesn't make any sense. So they will not have a test result until long after the taping of the show.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    They are likely using those Antigen tests, which allegedly return a result in 15 minutes.
    They are likely using those Antigen tests, which allegedly return a result in 15 minutes.

I know it's expensive, but that would be a way to have more events without social distancing.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

I know it's expensive, but that would be a way to have more events without social distancing.

Indeed.

@QBranch Found another japanese mag, HIHO .. dec 2020 issue

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2545281

Saw this insta and did some research

Italian dubbed version of the long trailer. Don't know if they are saying anything that might reveal more from the plot. That's how we found out Safins first name, via a dubbed trailer. Or maybe we've seen this one before. Can't remember.

Lashana Lynch with the stunt crew. Tiny girl next to her is Ana de Armas's stunt double Mounia Moula, and behind Lashana, her stunt double Marie Mouroum. On the far right, David Dencik's stunt double David Newton (not sure though ). Asian man, Patrick Vo, fight choreographer. Behind Newton we find Yves Girard, stunt coordinator: second unit. On the far left, Gregory Loffredo, fight arranger. And the rest also part of the stunt team.

Italian dubbed version of the long trailer. Don't know if they are saying anything that might reveal more from the plot. That's how we found out Safins first name, via a dubbed trailer. Or maybe we've seen this one before. Can't remember.

Nothing new. It's the old trailer from December. Nothing new
    @QBranch Found another japanese mag, HIHO
    Nice find.

Nothing new. It's the old trailer from December. Nothing new

Thanks man..
    @QBranch Found another japanese mag, HIHO
    Nice find.

Yeah, thought you would like it.