No Time to Die production thread

Comments

Really bad writing. Really.
    The best secondary character the series had, IMO.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    jake24 wrote: »
    I think it's Madeleine or Felix that'll be offed.
    And then be thrown in a dumpster.
    To which, Bond answers Felix' cellphone and the voice says, "Hey, Leiter. Where you bin?"
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    See? The script is practically writing itself. What on Earth do they need five screenwriters for? :D
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Getafix wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    I think it's Madeleine or Felix that'll be offed.

Yes, I think it's almost inevitable. Although I'll always believe that offing Mathis was a big mistake, along with the writing around it. And I'd hate it if Felix was given the same treatment.

Killing Mathis didn't really add anything and yes the writing was cr*p. Running theme thru the Craig era.

I don't think the writing in the series has been as glowing as some make out, I mean LTK is a frustrating jarring mess of a film.

At least apart from SPECTRE the DC era maintains its tone.
  • BennyBenny keeping tabs on youAdministrator, Moderator
    Perhaps Jamaica holds a lot more screen time in the film than we know. Maybe the reason Felix needs Bonds help is because the scientist is already in Jamaica. Maybe Paloma is a villainous character who kidnapped the scientist in question. All speculation of course. But till we get some set photos or more story information it's impossible to say.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I really hope Paloma is a villainous femme-fatale. Ana de Armas would be the perfect choice and provide her with a completely different role to her one in 2049. Plus, Paloma sounds like the perfect name for a character of this kind. Fingers crossed, although de Armas speaks about relating to her so we'll see.
    Univex wrote: »
    Maybe it's Felix getting maimed or dead that spurs Bond back into duty? Hope not, though.

Yes. Not necessary IMO. But a possibility. They can't kill off Felix and Maddy surely?
    I guess Bond has been aping other genres for years. Was it Infinity War where they 'shockingly' killed off a bunch of lead characters?

I just can’t see them killing Madeleine.

In a post-#MeToo world - and especially with Waller-Bridge writing - I cant see them ‘fridging’ Madeleine to spur Bond on his mission. It be too easy and obvious.

Killing Madeline seems a bit redundant without Blofeld. No point riffing on OHMSS if they're not going to use that opportunity to finally do YOLT properly. Same with using Spectre. Why would they bother if they're not using Blofeld? We've seen the boss. There's nothing to build to. No point now doing Largo/Klebb types, especially since it's Craig's last.

My thinking was that they might get her for a few scenes in Jamaica and have her or Bond end it when he decides to come out of retirement. And the synopsis would support this because it doesn't sound like the mission is related to her or Spectre at all. But then the scene on the ice complicates that because it does seem really likely that she's the kid. And I think since the story is by Purvis and Wade the chances of it tying more directly into Spectre have gone back up again (I reckon the Boyle/Hodge one had pretty much nothing to do with it). So I am very curious about how this will all tie together.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I really hope Paloma is a villainous femme-fatale. Ana de Armas would be the perfect choice and provide her with a completely different role to her one in 2049. Plus, Paloma sounds like the perfect name for a character of this kind. Fingers crossed, although de Armas speaks about relating to her so we'll see.

Meaning "Dove" it sounds rather peaceful to me.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Fresh article, jamaicaobserver.com

What's in a location?
    The producers discuss why film Bond 25 in Jamaica

https://jamaicaobserver.com/entertainment/what-s-in-a-location-_163365?profile=1606
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 3,333
    I still have no idea where Lashana Lynch fits into the B25 story. Maybe she's playing a CIA operative that picks up the reigns after something bad happens to Felix Leiter then? If Billy Magnussen is playing yet another corrupt Gregg Beam type character (that's the rumour), maybe it'll feel a little too close to what has already been done in QoS. Therefore, having a female CIA agent there in Jamaica as well would add a different dimension to the proceedings.

Also, if Lynch is playing an MI6 agent then why were the producers chasing Lupita Nyong'o for the same role? I'm not saying Lupita Nyong'o can't do a convincing English accent, but would audiences have easily bought into the American actress as a British MI6 counterpart rather than appointing a British actress of the same ethnicity? Also, why wouldn't Eon have taken this golden opportunity to find a black British actress first for the role for what is principally a major British production rather than chasing an American? The fact that Lashana Lynch can do a convincing American accent (and is already known to Marvel fans as an American) makes it more likely to me that she could be playing a CIA agent and this "female 007 replacement idea" — which was just a leftover rumour from CashleyPersia on Reddit along with his wild claim that "Bond 25 WILL be a period film set in the 1960s" — is just fanciful musings that shouldn't be given too much credence.

Again, I haven't got much to go on as the synopsis is rather thin. But if we factor in Lupita Nyong'o as the original choice for Nomi, then it's also worth considering an alternative nationality for her character that's not a British 00 agent.
    Yes indeed @bondsum. Personally, I'm still hoping this talk about another Mi6 agent just came from the ether, just like Barbara said about the other rumours.
    Agreed @Univex. I'm totally underwhelmed about Bond having a rival sidekick with the same 00 prefix as well. If it's true, it could tarnish how I view this movie overall. It'll just be another extension of the Scooby Gang plus One.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 6,607
    bondsum wrote: »
    Agreed @Univex. I'm totally underwhelmed about Bond having a rival sidekick with the same 00 prefix as well. If it's true, it could tarnish how I view this movie overall.
    Must say I feel the exact same way. Although having seen Endgame just the day before yesterday, I feel this is where they are going with it. Lynch will probably be 007 while 007 isn't there. Damn, that feels wrong. It's Bond's number, they wouldn't give it away that easily, would they? No one is irreplaceable is not a sentence I'd associate with James Bond. The man is an example of British fortitude, and has saved the country and the world countless times. What? He's on leave? Oh, I see, then by all means, here's your double 0 status Miss. 7. Just doesn't sit well within the Bond cosmos, IMO.
    I 100% agree with everything you say @Univex — as always ;). The only sliver of hope I have that this rumour is misplaced is that Barbara and Micky G said something along the lines that Bond was no longer on active duty but had been given extended leave (art imitating life perhaps?) which would mean that M has withheld the 007 occupancy from being filled, hopeful that Bond would return.
    @bondsum the Variety story that first reported on Magnussen being in talks specified that one of the two roles was a 'new MI6 agent' so yeah that's who Lynch's character is.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    I 100% agree with everything you say @Univex — as always ;). The only sliver of hope I have that this rumour is misplaced is that Barbara and Micky G said something along the lines that Bond was no longer on active duty but had been given extended leave (art imitating life perhaps?) which would mean that M has withheld the 007 occupancy from being filled, hopeful that Bond would return.

People should really stop panicking when a "rumour" comes up.

I heard that Malek's character will be a Chinese government operative in disguise who will try to push Huawei's 5G network.

By all means necessary.
    Oh, what I wouldn't give be so level-headed and assured as you @JamesCraig. As @antovolk pointed out in his comment directly above your own, Variety reported that Magnussen had been in early talks with producers for a specified role, see details above. A rumour that turned out to be true. I think it's fair to speculate that there could be a kernel of truth in this other rumour... or maybe it's misdirection? I haven't read the Malak gossip that you mentioned, but it's credibility would pivot solely on its source. Variety is considered to be the major Hollywood bible, so maybe we shouldn't be so dismissive of what they're reporting on until we learn otherwise? As it stands, Lashana Lynch is looking increasingly likely to be playing an MI6 agent. I just gave my opinions on why was Lupita Nyong'o originally up for this role if she was to be cast as Bond's British counterpart. What are your own views? Why not share them with us? Otherwise, there's not much of a discussion to be had if we're going to shoot down every creditable source.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,018
    Could this be the location with the villa set?Blue Lagoon, Port Antonio (map). Look at the two trees in the forefront on the sandbank and compare. Vegetation may also have changed a bit, screenshots from 2019 vs local pics 2012-2018

1) Screenshots from the press conf (clip)

image.jpg

2) Local pics

16565982885_22f14db690_o.jpg

blue-lagoon.jpg

Video: Some people swimming right in front of the sandbank. Just to give you some idea of the lagoon and the surroundings. https://youtu.be/6sPPvM1t3L0?t=28s

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,497
    Oh, what I wouldn't give be so level-headed and assured as you @JamesCraig. As @antovolk pointed out in his comment directly above your own, Variety reported that Magnussen had been in early talks with producers for a specified role, see details above. A rumour that turned out to be true. I think it's fair to speculate that there could be a kernel of truth in this other rumour... or maybe it's misdirection? I haven't read the Malak gossip that you mentioned, but it's credibility would pivot solely on its source. Variety is considered to be the major Hollywood bible, so maybe we shouldn't be so dismissive of what they're reporting on until we learn otherwise? As it stands, Lashana Lynch is looking increasingly likely to be playing an MI6 agent. I just gave my opinions on why was Lupita Nyong'o originally up for this role if she was to be cast as Bond's British counterpart. What are your own views? Why not share them with us? Otherwise, there's not much of a discussion to be had if we're going to shoot down every creditable source.

I'm not talking about Variety.

She'll most likely be a 00 agent, but where does all this bs that SHE WILL BE DA 007 REPLACEMENTZ come from?

If Bond retains his 007 "passport" for 80% of the movie I'm cool.

Nothing against Magnussen btw.

Contraband wrote: »
    Could this be the location with the villa set?Blue Lagoon, Port Antonio (map). Look at the two trees in the forefront on the sandbank and compare. Vegetation may also have changed a bit, screenshots from 2019 vs local pics 2012-2018

1) Screenshots from the press conf (clip)

image.jpg

2) Local pics

16565982885_22f14db690_o.jpg

blue-lagoon.jpg

Video: Some people swimming right in front of the sandbank. Just to give you some idea of the lagoon and the surroundings. https://youtu.be/6sPPvM1t3L0?t=28s

No, the new built house is on a private beach.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

Not sure how legit this is, but then again, not sure how often you see three rubber dinghys, a sea plane and rusty old boat at sea.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Some action at sea! Very interesting.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Felix arriving by seaplane me thinks
    Mi6 or CIA listening station in the rusty old tub I hope
    Felix arriving by seaplane me thinks
    Mi6 or CIA listening station in the rusty old tub I hope

Got a little FYEO vibe from this.
    At the risk of sounding reductive, I will say it comes as no surprise that Lynch was (possibly) cast as an MI6 counterpart to Craig after the smashing success of Black Panther.

For what it's worth, Lynch looks way more like a tough cookie than Halle Berry. And based on the crew behind the movie I doubt they will create a character as silly as Jinx. I expect a serious character who maybe has a playful (but not ridiculous) banter with Bond, I hope she gets to kick ass next to Craig and is not in need of saving at any point.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Yes I was thinking the same thing about Black Panther. Ie that black actors are no longer seen as a box office turn off by the major studios (about time) and that there's an element of Bond jumping on a bit of bandwagon here.

Not that Bond has that bad a track record in terms of casting non white actors but it does feel like they're turning it up a notch here. Wright and Harris in the same film for the first time and Lynch means 3 significant characters are going to be played by black actors.

I just hope Lynch's character is well written, entertaining and believable.
    If they kill Madelyn then there will be backlash; accusations of fridging the female lead. I think Bond should have a threesome with Madelyn and Amy Armas. That way you sate the purpose of a new Bond girl, to be smashed by Bond, as well as keep Bond's stable wife and family. Break new taboos. Be the first global blockbuster to showcase a healthy polycule.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    If they kill Madelyn then there will be backlash; accusations of fridging the female lead. I think Bond should have a threesome with Madelyn and Amy Armas. That way you sate the purpose of a new Bond girl, to be smashed by Bond, as well as keep Bond's stable wife and family. Break new taboos. Be the first global blockbuster to showcase a healthy polycule.

👏👏
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited April 2019 Posts: 12,459
    I'm very tentatively wading in here for a moment. I definitely won't be sharing any of this on the Originals thread, but personally I may stop by from time to time. I have a couple of questions.

Can you please let me know more about Dancic? What has he done? I have no idea at all about him. I'd like to watch some of his work. Same for Magnussen. I'd appreciate anybody filling me in about them. Thanks.

And just to say I am THRILLED with Jeffrey's return as Felix! That made me happiest, of all the cast news. Rami I have not found appealing, but I do trust Cary to get an interesting performance out of him. The quality of the script is key of course, no matter what (as always).

By the way, I am probably in the minority here, but I definitely do not want a copy of OHMSS in Bond 25. The less connection the better for me.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,235
    Can you please let me know more about Dancic? What has he done? I have no idea at all about him. I'd like to watch some of his work. Same for Magnussen. I'd appreciate anybody filling me in about them. Thanks.

Don't know about Magnussen, but David Dencik can be seen in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (which of course also stars Daniel Craig), and its Swedish version as well. He's also starred in McMafia and Top of the Lake. Never seen these two myself.