No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited May 2021 Posts: 13,929
    I would find it odd if they shot in Norway, but do not show a town, even in passing. You may as well film the forest scenes somewhere cheaper.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    QBranch wrote: »
    I would find it odd if they shot in Norway, but do not show a town, even in passing. You may as well film the forest scenes somewhere cheaper.

I guess if you want lots of snow that's where you'd have to go (and you're in Norway to do the Atlantic Road stuff).
    The Norway shoot was made a whole lot cheaper due to the incentive scheme, which is also the reason the last two Mission Impossible films (and by the looks of it the next one too), have shot scenes here.

Haven't read or heard anything about them filming anything but forest and underwater shots for the winter scenes.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    mtm wrote: »

I guess if you want lots of snow that's where you'd have to go (and you're in Norway to do the Atlantic Road stuff).
    I think most of the Atlantic Road will be CGI anyway, after covering up all those tyre marks!

They film where they get the most money by the state.
    Lots of Hollywood movies are filmed in Germany, because they get funded by "Filmförderung" (Film Financial Support).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Jan1985 wrote: »

They film where they get the most money by the state.
    Lots of Hollywood movies are filmed in Germany, because they get funded by "Filmförderung" (Film Financial Support).

Same in the UK too, that's why many of them get based here in Pinewood, Elstree etc.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Yesterday:

Amazon nears deal to buy MGM Studios for nearly $9 billion

A transaction could be announced as soon as Tuesday, sources say.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/24/amazon-nears-deal-to-buy-mgm-for-nearly-9-billion.html
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Contraband wrote: »
    Yesterday:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/24/amazon-nears-deal-to-buy-mgm-for-nearly-9-billion.html

Does situation this have any bearing on Bond? Curious.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Yesterday:

We need @antovolk for this..

• edited May 2021 Posts: 850
    And while we talk, Fast and Furious 9 is out un some country (and then on the web, filmed in cinemas), but will no be in theater until a month in USA (!), or before two month (!!, July) in France.

Film distribued by Universal, how reassuring it is for Bond...
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Yesterday:

We need @antovolk for this..

There were a couple pieces from the trades on this and the understanding seems to be that all of the films MGM is planning to release this year are still planned to happen as 'normal'. And/or if there was anything that could happen to NTTD, EON would veto it.

And... official - https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/05/26/amazon-to-buy-mgm-studios-for-8point45-billion.html?__twitter_impression=true
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2021 Posts: 13,894
    Amazon?

giphy.gif

Oh well, I skipped SP on the big screen, it's not that hard to do. I simply don't want to give that scummy company a penny of my money.
    edited May 2021 Posts: 3,018
    Variety:

"That was due in part to the fact that MGM shares the rights to the Bond franchise with Eon Productions. That company, which is run by half-siblings Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson, has an unusual amount of control over the spy series — the approve everything from marketing to casting to distribution. That means that Amazon will struggle to get their sign off on any move to, say, debut the next Bond film on its streaming service, Amazon Prime."

//

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/26/amazon-to-buy-mgm-studios-for-8point45-billion.html
  • edited May 2021 Posts: 820
    It's going to be very interesting to watch how this all unfolds, and how the brand is impacted.

Almost $9 billion feels like a *very* premium price tag for the studio and its assets, and there's no question Bond is the flagship IP driving it. One assumes that expanding the universe via (multiple) Prime series + a more regular cadence for the 'main event' films are implicit—or explicit—ambitions of such a deal.

I haven't been this depressed about the future of Bond since August 2018 when Boyle was let go.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited May 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Variety:

"That was due in part to the fact that MGM shares the rights to the Bond franchise with Eon Productions. That company, which is run by half-siblings Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson, has an unusual amount of control over the spy series — the approve everything from marketing to casting to distribution. That means that Amazon will struggle to get their sign off on any move to, say, debut the next Bond film on its streaming service, Amazon Prime."

//

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/26/amazon-to-buy-mgm-studios-for-8point45-billion.html

Without mentioning that the pandemic proved that to stream those 200/300 million dollars big event films is not financially sustainable.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    The $8.45B bill includes $2.4B of debt.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    According to The Hollywood Reporter, not much will change regarding No Time To Die and its release:

"On the theatrical front, it’s unlikely that MGM and United Artists Releasing would change plans for their remaining 2021 theatrical releases — including the James Bond pic No Time to Die — particularly since the deal is likely to take months to close. UAR is a subsidiary of MGM and handles domestic distribution duties for MGM titles (Universal has international on No Time to Die)."
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Honestly, why would Amazon NOT want to have Bond continue playing in theaters? When Skyfall makes a billion dollars, why would you want to settle with just streaming future films which will never come close to that kind of box office gross?

As far as I know, Bond will be the first major blockbuster franchise for them to acquire. It’s far different from the number of indie films they’ve released over the years.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess the argument could be that a big hit drives people to your streaming service, thus you sell more of your other content on that service etc.
    I've no idea obviously how those numbers add up of course, I'm sure they have all sorts of people doing complex sums and predictions.
  • edited May 2021 Posts: 850
    So what does it mean for the futue of the franchise? Does MGM have/had indeed 50% of the right on Bond? Didn't Broccoli buy the part owed by MGM-UA in 1986?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited May 2021 Posts: 8,025
    So what does it mean for the futue of the franchise? Does MGM have/had indeed 50% of the right on Bond? Didn't Broccoli buy the part owed by MGM-UA in 1986?

He did according to a book John Cork wrote. The deal was that Danjaq bought back the 50% for a deal that gives MGM exclusive distribution rights. This is why EON is free to make non-Bond films with other studios/companies.

Unless John Cork was wrong, I dunno why that point is never brought up.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Seems a bit strange for it to be 50% in way - you'd think it would have been 51/49% or something so that there was a controlling partner. I guess it's up to the person selling though.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    FDHa85T.png
  • duke_togoduke_togo france
    Eon Bosses Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson released a statement this AM saying that “We are committed to continuing to make James Bond films for the worldwide theatrical audience.” https://deadline.com/2021/05/james-bond-no-time-to-die-amazon-mgm-acquisition-1234764548/
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Hmm. Not "We are thrilled..."
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2021 Posts: 5,869
    Call me crazy but is this deal good promotion? Haha :D Just a tiny global reminder that there's a James Bond filming coming out soon.
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    It's going to be very interesting to watch how this all unfolds, and how the brand is impacted.

Almost $9 billion feels like a *very* premium price tag for the studio and its assets, and there's no question Bond is the flagship IP driving it. One assumes that expanding the universe via (multiple) Prime series + a more regular cadence for the 'main event' films are implicit—or explicit—ambitions of such a deal.

Prime Series?!!!!!!!!!! Not whilst Babara Broccoli is control of Bond.