No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Someone wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »
    Short interview with Craig and Fukunaga and new still from Matera, ft. in latest Empire mag. Issue drops may 13, with focus on Tom Cruise/MI.

VY1KC5b.jpg

It says that there are shootouts in Cuba, Jamaica, London and Italy. Yes to shootouts in Cuba, and Italy of a sorts, but Jamaica and London?

London could mean the breakin into the lab, killing scientist guys before kidnapping David Dencik's character Waldo
    The movie was mostly complete in 2019 so there's also a chance it could be a little bit dated by the time we see it. Rami malek was hot off playing Freddie Mercury and Billie Elllish was just fresh on the scene.

That's the case for almost EVERY movie coming out this year AND next year.
    If they all seem dated, no one notices.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    James Bond doesn’t usually make pop culture references so I think we’ll be fine, and anyway the world hasn’t changed that much since 2019.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    The movie was mostly complete in 2019 so there's also a chance it could be a little bit dated by the time we see it. Rami malek was hot off playing Freddie Mercury and Billie Elllish was just fresh on the scene.

That's the case for almost EVERY movie coming out this year AND next year.
    If they all seem dated, no one notices.

And to that point: many good films have survived the delayed release:
    • Gangs of New York: went from a fall 2001 release to Christmas 2002.
    • Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (a cult classic): sat on the shelf for 18 months.
    • The Tree of Life: originally set for a 2009 release, wasn't released until 2011. The film finished filming some time in mid-2008 and then didn't get released for three years!
    • The Bourne Identity: pushed back a year
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Sounds like it was Fukunaga's idea to put miniguns in the DB5. I keep liking this guy more and more.

Dated doesn't mean jack. When I first watched the great FRWL, it had already dated by 32 years!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Denbigh wrote: »
    James Bond doesn’t usually make pop culture references so I think we’ll be fine, and anyway the world hasn’t changed that much since 2019.

Hasn t it? Sure feels like it.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    As I've said before, what Cary seems to have done with what was given to him after Spectre, makes me all the more keen to see what he could do with a clean slate, but I know that he's such a creative guy, that I don't know if he'd want to do it again...

While I'm not particularly excited about NTTD story wise (partially because I'm not interested in a direct sequel after such a long hiatus), I find that visually speaking, Fukunaga is about to offer us something pretty magnificent. Thus, to see him working with a clean slate like you say would be very exciting. Far more in my eyes than NTTD.
    It's also apparent that Fukunaga is having fun and gets a real kick out of things like mini-machine guns and motorcycles. NTTD may continue on SPECTRE's story, but I already sense that the overall vibe and atmosphere of the film will be considerably more urgent, higher-stakes, and lively than in at least the last three films.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited May 2021 Posts: 467
    NTTD will be probably one of the movie releases that show that the pandemic is over, a big tentpole event that will contribute to bond audiences together, and not just fans of the franchise, especially as it was delayed repeatedly but didn't go to a streaming service.

It was the first major project to be delayed, and it will be a marker that things are back to normal. The only unknown factor is whether older audiences will be willing to go back to theaters, but otherwise, there are still high expectations for its release.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It was the first major project to be delayed, and it will be a marker that things are back to normal. The only unknown factor is whether older audiences will be willing to go back to theaters, but otherwise, there are still high expectations for its release.

And if anything can bring audiences back, it's Bond. Bond was the villain at the end of last year when it delayed again and apparently nailed the coffin of cinemas; but people have short memories, and if it's a big hit, 007 will be the hero.
  • fadetoblack7fadetoblack7 Chicago IL
    NTTD still has the potential to be as successful as they hope it to be, but it all depends on how good the film is. If the film is as amazing as we all hope it will be (fingers crossed) then people will be flocking to the theatres to see it. Not just us hardcore fans, but casual fans as well. It’s all about word-of-mouth.

Everything happens for a reason. When EoN were making this film, they were aiming to make an epic Bond film for DC’s conclusion and to make right the shortcomings of the previous film. Little did they know, they were also making the film that will hopefully resurrect the cinema experience.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I wonder when we'll hear more about the Being James Bond Documentary? How and when it'll be released
    Season one of True Detective is one of the best of any tv series ever IMO so I trust Cary entirely. I'm also really impressed no significant spoilers have leaked the last two years.
    NTTD still has the potential to be as successful as they hope it to be, but it all depends on how good the film is. If the film is as amazing as we all hope it will be (fingers crossed) then people will be flocking to the theatres to see it. Not just us hardcore fans, but casual fans as well. It’s all about word-of-mouth.
    I don't disagree, but would nuance the definition of 'good' here. I think after 1.5 years of lockdown, lost jobs, deaths and disability among friends and family, etc., the public appetite might not be for 'dark and gritty,' no matter how well made.
    I assume that people will respond more to something more cinematic, triumphant, escapist, and joyful. If ever there was a moment for the Union Jack parachute, this is it!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

You're clutching at straws @Mendes4Lyfe hoping NTTD will fail based on it appearing dated. Whether Rami Malek or Billie Eilish are still 'hot' isn't going to make or break a Bond film. They're both still working and popular. Besides, the villain and title song artist have as far as I'm aware never determined the fate of a Bond film before. That's usually based on how well it's received, and how good the story is. Your longtime fantasy of NTTD being a flop, and EON turning to Turner to get things back on track will have too wait.
  • edited May 2021 Posts: 4,599
    Re the climax, I agree with some of the comments. The perfect climax should be bigger than the PTS (in terms of action) but it should have a "pay off" in terms of fitting in with the plot and the characters. The PTS can never do this, by defintion. IF the PTS is more satisfying than the final climax, something has gone very wrong not only with the climax but how it has been set up by the whole movie before it.
    (Perhaps we need a new thread "best action climax to a movie?)

PS re the script and worries (especially the dialogue), its one of the few ellements that we have no background. We know he's a great director, we know the cast can act, we know they can do great action, we know we have a great composer etc etc. But do we know that team as a whole can create riveting character interaction and dialogue? To me, this is esential in any great movie.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I wonder when we'll hear more about the Being James Bond Documentary? How and when it'll be released

Yeh I'm looking forward to that too. I wonder if it'll be used to promote NTTD or if it'll be released after the film. After the film would be better so that all of the films can be discussed candidly.
    Afraid I have misgivings about the likely release given the Indian variant. Next few weeks are critical I think

edited May 2021 Posts: 4,554
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Afraid I have misgivings about the likely release given the Indian variant. Next few weeks are critical I think

We have mostly returned to normal here in the U.S. My wife and I (both fully vaccinated) went out last night to an area of town full of bars and restaurants. It was packed. No masks on anyone, given the CDC's latest announcement.

Sidenote: I went to the movies last week for the first time since seeing Tenet back in September. I saw Wrath of Man, which was so-so. (Great music, btw).

I had fears that the Indian variant could pose a problem. It seems that the vaccines are a little less effective against them; but from what I understand, even if you still catch it, symptoms are far more manageable.

edited May 2021 Posts: 3,018
    I'm not sure if we have seen all three in the same still before? Craig, Jeffrey Wright and Billy Magnussen at the Jamaican nightclub set. Previous copy that's been around for a while had only craig and jeff

tzBAAje.jpg

Source:
    https://www.heineken.com/at/de/sponsorings/james-bond-no-time-to-die
    TripAces wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »

We have mostly returned to normal here in the U.S. My wife and I (both fully vaccinated) went out last night to an area of town full of bars and restaurants. It was packed. No masks on anyone, given the CDC's latest announcement.

Sidenote: I went to the movies last week for the first time since seeing Tenet back in September. I saw Wrath of Man, which was so-so. (Great music, btw).

I had fears that the Indian variant could pose a problem. It seems that the vaccines are a little less effective against them; but from what I understand, even if you still catch it, symptoms are far more manageable.

Taking the Indian variant out of things I was / am very confident about the summer. The UK is doing very well on vaccine roll out with a very high take up so far.

Main concern is the Indian variant. We have the most cases outside India, large Indian communities living in higher density housing and a road out of lockdown that is really beginning to open up just now (tomorrow in fact)

Hope I’m wrong. Keeping everything crossed.
  • edited May 2021 Posts: 151
    I'm not sure if we have seen all three in the same still before? Craig, Jeffrey Wright and Billy Magnussen at the Jamaican nightclub set. Previous copy that's been around for a while had only craig and jeff

tzBAAje.jpg

Source:

I thought the nightclub scene came before the Port Antonio junction car encounter and subsequent street conversation but maybe it is the other way round.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    It's an entirely new image. Nice find!
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    Bond talks with both Ash and Felix in this new scene? Now that is something new
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Can we talk about those colors!? That really pops!

@phantomvices

This is the first image with all three in the bar but we (most of us) already knew about this scene. Total Film magazine or Empire visited Pinewood the day they shot this scene and the journalist wrote about incl the dialogue

Whis I could remember what issue and mag it was. Anyone with a good memory??
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base

@phantomvices

This is the first image with all three in the bar but we (most of us) already knew about this scene. Total Film magazine or Empire visited Pinewood the day they shot this scene and the journalist wrote about incl the dialogue

Whis I could remember what issue and mag it was. Anyone with a good memory??

Ah, I see, thank you! Now that you mention it, I do vaguely remember such an article sometime ago...
    edited May 2021 Posts: 4,554

tzBAAje.jpg

Source:

I could swear I have seen this image before, but who knows. I might be confusing and combining different stills.

Speaking of new stills, this is one I came across that I don't recall. Was it posted? I don't ever recall seeing lettering on walls behind DC.

x15-No-Time-To-Die.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xH50jyFVP2.webp
    Ah, if only there were some way of knowing what type of beer Bond drinks . . .
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Love the pic of Bond, Felix and is it Ash? Hopefully it's similar to the scene in Quantum between the two of them, with sharp dialogue but a bit longer.
    I take it this is the scene where Felix tells Bond "there's a young lady in Santiago, I want you to meet"