No Time to Die production thread (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

1101910201022102410251213

Comments

  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Posts: 524
    About the order of the scenes in the film, wasn't there a rumour that the gun barrel
    would not open the film, in order to have the opening and Norway scene completely Bond-less and deliberately feel disjointed?
    so the order would be
    Opening Logos
    Norway Flashback
    Gun Barrel
    Matera
    Title Sequence
    Rest of the Film

    Can anyone remember that rumour, or am I completely misremembering this? Or was this just fear that another artsy director would be messing with the gun barrel?
  • Posts: 785
    About the order of the scenes in the film, wasn't there a rumour that the gun barrel
    would not open the film, in order to have the opening and Norway scene completely Bond-less and deliberately feel disjointed?
    so the order would be
    Opening Logos
    Norway Flashback
    Gun Barrel
    Matera
    Title Sequence
    Rest of the Film

    Can anyone remember that rumour, or am I completely misremembering this? Or was this just fear that another artsy director would be messing with the gun barrel?

    I think it's been discussed several times. Feels a little too gimmicky and it would contradict the Norway lake-to-adult Madeleine transition. Also, SP came so achingly close to a proper traditional opening (save for that completely unnecessary "The dead are alive" reference), that there's no excuse not to have a clean opening come Craig's 5th and final film.

  • Posts: 618
    It would not be the first Bond film to have no Bond in the PTS -- please revisit LALD, which not only had no Bond, but it was R Moore's FIRST Bond film, and he didn't even get into the PTS ! However -- it fit the story, and I don't recall any complaints.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 35,149
    Pretty wild to me that he'll have an entire run without one simple, classic gunbarrel to start one of his films.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Posts: 524
    About the order of the scenes in the film, wasn't there a rumour that the gun barrel
    would not open the film, in order to have the opening and Norway scene completely Bond-less and deliberately feel disjointed?
    so the order would be
    Opening Logos
    Norway Flashback
    Gun Barrel
    Matera
    Title Sequence
    Rest of the Film

    Can anyone remember that rumour, or am I completely misremembering this? Or was this just fear that another artsy director would be messing with the gun barrel?

    I think it's been discussed several times. Feels a little too gimmicky and it would contradict the Norway lake-to-adult Madeleine transition. Also, SP came so achingly close to a proper traditional opening (save for that completely unnecessary "The dead are alive" reference), that there's no excuse not to have a clean opening come Craig's 5th and final film.

    I agree with it being gimmicky, and the transition being jarring. Listening to Zimmer's cue, I get the feeling that the music that plays after the Bond theme would fit Norway better than it would fit Matera.
    I really hope they don't mess with it too much.
    Since62 wrote: »
    It would not be the first Bond film to have no Bond in the PTS -- please revisit LALD, which not only had no Bond, but it was R Moore's FIRST Bond film, and he didn't even get into the PTS ! However -- it fit the story, and I don't recall any complaints.

    The difference here being that if they would not put the gun barrel at the start, you wouldn't see Bond at all until 5 - 10 minutes into the film, and given the content of the scene, one would get a totally different feeling the moment they'd start watching it - LALD makes sure you know you're watching a Bond film by having the gun barrel despite Bond not being in the PTS.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Pretty wild to me that he'll have an entire run without one simple, classic gunbarrel to start one of his films.

    I tried to research where that rumour came from, but couldn't find anything. However, I did find this bit, from Complex:
    Outside, Craig is dressed to the nines in a tuxedo and heavily armed, the sounds of gunfire intermittently ring out as he strolls down a street made to resemble Havana, Cuba, where the inciting incident of No Time To Die, Craig’s last adventure as 007 and the 25th(!) entry in the franchise, takes place. In actuality, we’re 17 miles west of London, on a lot at the famed Pinewood Studios, where Bond movies have filmed for the duration of the franchise. It’s a dreary, late-October Tuesday evening, and the energy on-set is bustling. For Craig, the end comes at the beginning. He’s just filmed the essential gun barrel sequence, the shot in every Bond film that cues up the opening credits, but director Cary Fukunaga is adamant that exterior shooting wrap tonight before a week’s worth of forecasted rain rolls in. Craig’s co-stars Ana de Armas and Lashana Lynch huddle up in parkas between takes. Costume designer Suttirat Anne Larlarb admits she’s only just completed some of the wardrobe the day prior. But if Fukunaga and his crew are feeling down to the wire, they certainly aren’t showing it.

    That, combined with the title reveal video being shot in a similar turn-to-the-camera style, makes me think Bond might be in a tuxedo for the gun barrel. While not really traditional in the Connery sense, I think it'd be fun to see Craig in tux for the GB.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 8,731
    I don't think I even spotted that he wasn't wearing one in the Spectre gunbarrel. I think he's looking pretty sharp there.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Posts: 1,754
    Why is everyone still debating how the film will open? It’s not that difficult for it to make sense. I can guarantee you it will go like this:

    - Universal/MGM/etc. logos
    - Gun barrel opens up on Norway
    - Norway sequence plays out
    - Madeline falls under the ice
    - She emerges from the water in Matera
    - Bond senses something’s off with her

    I think we can conclude her being under the water in Matera triggers some PTSD from her incident with Safin.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Posts: 4,322
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Why is everyone still debating how the film will open? It’s not that difficult for it to make sense. I can guarantee you it will go like this:

    - Universal/MGM/etc. logos
    - Gun barrel opens up on Norway
    - Norway sequence plays out
    - Madeline falls under the ice
    - She emerges from the water in Matera
    - Bond senses something’s off with her

    I think we can conclude her being under the water in Matera triggers some PTSD from her incident with Safin.

    I would agree with all of this but I don't think Bond and Madeleine are in Matera yet. We will see them drive in to town and arrive at their hotel.
  • edited March 18 Posts: 100
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Pretty wild to me that he'll have an entire run without one simple, classic gunbarrel to start one of his films.

    The SP gunbarrel was pretty traditional in my book, even with the silly 'dead are alive' caption. The first 20 were all pretty similar so I don't mind them experimenting with the sequence if it makes for a more effective opening. It's just the only one (so far) that really works without it is CR.
  • edited March 18 Posts: 60
    I’ve posted my gun barrel before. But anyone with a keen ear can tell that Zimmers gun barrel track takes us into Norway. The track instantly becomes sinister after the barrel portion.



    Here it is again. People are too hung up on the length of the pre credits sequence. They will run as short or as long as they need to. It’s the emotional linch pin of the film. So they have to do the relationship justice to make you feel their parting at the train station which will lead into the song.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 8,731
    Looks like Craig will pop up as Bond in a Comic Relief sketch tomorrow night (although presumably only over Zoom as I guess he's stuck in NYC!)

    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/daniel-craig-bond-red-nose-day-b1818882.html?utm_content=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1616058655

    newFile-3.jpg?width=640&auto=webp&quality=75

    Looks like a pretty good version of the M's office set- is it the real thing I wonder?
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited March 18 Posts: 2,949
    mtm wrote: »
    Looks like Craig will pop up as Bond in a Comic Relief sketch tomorrow night (although presumably only over Zoom as I guess he's stuck in NYC!)

    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/daniel-craig-bond-red-nose-day-b1818882.html?utm_content=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1616058655

    newFile-3.jpg?width=640&auto=webp&quality=75

    Looks like a pretty good version of the M's office set- is it the real thing I wonder?

    After airing it should be uploaded here I guess, Saturday or Sunday maybe

    >> youtube.com/sportrelief/videos (embedding doesn't work, copy and paste)
  • Posts: 601
    We need a Mendes cut of Spectre. It’s time.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Posts: 4,322

    Contraband wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Looks like Craig will pop up as Bond in a Comic Relief sketch tomorrow night (although presumably only over Zoom as I guess he's stuck in NYC!)

    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/daniel-craig-bond-red-nose-day-b1818882.html?utm_content=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1616058655

    newFile-3.jpg?width=640&auto=webp&quality=75

    Looks like a pretty good version of the M's office set- is it the real thing I wonder?

    After airing it should be uploaded here I guess, Saturday or Sunday maybe

    >> youtube.com/sportrelief/videos (embedding doesn't work, copy and paste)

    The first Tate-Craig skit for Comic Relief was fantastic. This should be good.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    edited March 19 Posts: 522
    We need a Mendes cut of Spectre. It’s time.

    I have long wanted to see the few minutes which were cut late in the process to have Spectres age rating lowered.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 6,148
    We need a Mendes cut of Spectre. It’s time.

    I would like to see a Forster cut of Quantum.
  • Posts: 1,297
    talos7 wrote: »
    We need a Mendes cut of Spectre. It’s time.

    I would like to see a Forster cut of Quantum.

    You've seen it. Eon are very good at supporting their directors and rarely make firm or huge demands during the editing process.

  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 6,148
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    We need a Mendes cut of Spectre. It’s time.

    I would like to see a Forster cut of Quantum.

    You've seen it. Eon are very good at supporting their directors and rarely make firm or huge demands during the editing process.

    Ok, we’ll then just add three to five more seconds to the parachute scene and I’ll be happy. . Lol
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 35,149
    talos7 wrote: »
    We need a Mendes cut of Spectre. It’s time.

    I would like to see a Forster cut of Quantum.

    I just want an Ultimate Edition of the film, complete with commentaries and all of the deleted scenes. I'll pay whatever price.
  • MalloryMallory Are you ready to get back to work?
    edited March 19 Posts: 1,509
    talos7 wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    We need a Mendes cut of Spectre. It’s time.

    I would like to see a Forster cut of Quantum.

    You've seen it. Eon are very good at supporting their directors and rarely make firm or huge demands during the editing process.

    Ok, we’ll then just add three to five more seconds to the parachute scene and I’ll be happy. . Lol

    Yeah the current version of QoS is need Foster’s cut, albeit completed in six weeks as opposed to his usual 14 weeks. I wouldnt mind seeing the film with Foster having the time he needed to complete a full cut, however.
  • Posts: 618
    I don't know that there's much we did not already see ! I recall reading that a shutdown involving screen writers placed the film-makers with a choice -- wait, or proceed. They proceeded, with a scant script. Personally, I like the film. Certain parts are brilliant - especially the Opera scene, with Bond-action accompanied by the music of the opera. Very cool. Making water the issue is a real-world issue which, unfortunately, many people already face and many more may face in the distressingly near future. For me, it all works. But, yeah, it's a little thin. It's a shame, because I think a good film which now often gets criticized could have been longer in runtime, and more satisfactory a story and cinematic experience.
  • MalloryMallory Are you ready to get back to work?
    Posts: 1,509
    @Since62 I dont think it would add much in the way of content, just mean that the editing is perhaps a bit more “breathed” and not so frantically cut together.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Posts: 2,729
    so who is gonna start the hashtag then?

    #releasetheForstercut
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited March 19 Posts: 404
    Oooo! A fleshed out director cut of QOS is my dream. Always have said, just a handful of more lines and breathing room to a few scenes and a more measured editing job and the film would benefit tremendously.

    #releasetheFostercut
  • MalloryMallory Are you ready to get back to work?
    edited March 19 Posts: 1,509
    Never mind #releasetheForstercut, how about #releasetheFukunagaCut aka the film 🤣
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited March 19 Posts: 10,566
    The problem is that the version we’ve already had for over a decade is the “Forster” cut. That said, the opportunity to watch a more fleshed-out version of QoS is undoubtedly on the Bond bucket list.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Posts: 159

    [/quote]

    Yeah the current version of QoS is need Foster’s cut, albeit completed in six weeks as opposed to his usual 14 weeks. I wouldnt mind seeing the film with Foster having the time he needed to complete a full cut, however. [/quote]

    Six weeks is absurd. The film turned out amazingly if you take that into account.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited March 19 Posts: 2,949




    M:s office recreated for the sketch

    AsYmitl.jpg
    GQVxIMw.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 19 Posts: 8,731
    I did titter at that sketch I must admit. He does send himself up well. And they even managed a bit of continuity to tie into the upcoming film! :)
  • Posts: 1,132
    And that’s the last time Craig will play 007.
Sign In or Register to comment.