No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited October 2019 Posts: 1,165
    I'd bet money on October 25th being the teaser release date.
    @jamesbondlive tweets that have aged well - Nr. 849: https://twitter.com/jamesbondlive/status/1184162899389902849

At this point one can trust The Sun more than MI6-HQ.
    Are you really one to talk? Or do you want us to dig up every time you lied about finally leaving the forum for good?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2019 Posts: 14,952
    octofinger wrote: »
    At the very least, Harris can be counted on to communicate some enthusiasm for the project and ratchet up the excitement a bit.

Yeah I’ve got a lot of time for her; I think she’s ace.
    Might even be tempted to say best Moneypenny in fact!
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 4,400
    This MI6 tweet also has also aged very badly...

Another....

...and another:

....in their defence, MI6 aren't really a 'scoops' kinda place. They offer a really valuable archive and encyclopedia for Bond. you'd struggle to find anywhere on the internet more thorough and that has over 15 years worth of Bond stories in real time.
    This thread is making me laugh! :))
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Who actually makes the trailer?
    So the trailer thread has closed and all the negativity moves to this one. Great 😤
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 3,164
    Denbigh wrote: »

An external agency/editors usually employed by the distributor or, in this case, EON. The previous Craig films (though not 100% sure on CR) were all done by the same team, who have started their own agency around the time of SP going into production - http://chinagraphlondon.com Given since SP they’ve also continued the EON relationship by working on Film Stars Don’t Die In Liverpool and The Rhythm Section, I’d be surprised if they didn’t do the NTTD trailer/s.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,869
    antovolk wrote: »

An external agency/editors usually employed by the distributor or, in this case, EON. The previous Craig films (though not 100% sure on CR) were all done by the same team, who have started their own agency around the time of SP going into production - http://chinagraph-london.com Given since SP they’ve also continued the EON relationship by working on Film Stars Don’t Die In Liverpool and The Rhythm Section, I’d be surprised if they didn’t do the NTTD trailer/s.
    Ah thanks for the info @antovolk, appreciate it :)
    Minion wrote: »
    I'd bet money on October 25th being the teaser release date
    @Minion I don't know if it'll be exactly that date but with filming apparently finishing on that date, I wouldn't be surprised if we got the trailer shortly afterwards.

• edited October 2019 Posts: 698
    I do hope it is the end of October. At the very least I would like another production video similar to the one in Jamaica. Maybe this time focusing on the Matera element of the film
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Hard to believe there would be a teaser trailer now. They may go full trailer in December. FWIW: Disney's Jungle Cruise trailer is already out...film isn't due until July 2020.
    I have never really understood why the trailer isn't made by the people who actually made the movie, meaning the editor and director. Does Fukunaga have any say?
    Zekidk wrote: »
    I have never really understood why the trailer isn't made by the people who actually made the movie, meaning the editor and director. Does Fukunaga have any say?

The director does sign off on marketing materials. But editing trailers is usually considered to be a very different sort of task requiring a different skillset, a more commercially-minded point of view, and most crucially some distance from the material.
    If I were behind this I would want the hype to die down a little over the third rise of skywalker trailer which is supposed to be released in two days time. Therefore, I would wait until November to release the teaser presuming there is a teaser. :)
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I do hope it is the end of October. At the very least I would like another production video similar to the one in Jamaica. Maybe this time focusing on the Matera element of the film

Yes, one would think that they would release another one of these seeing they did decide to do one.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

The director does sign off on marketing materials. But editing trailers is usually considered to be a very different sort of task requiring a different skillset, a more commercially-minded point of view, and most crucially some distance from the material.

Steven Soderbergh took control over all aspects of marketing for Logan Lucky. He desperately wanted that control.

Didn't turn out so well.

That's 100% correct, plus the film's editors simply do not have the time to concentrate on such a task.

• edited October 2019 Posts: 3,168
    Doesn't the editor usually go onboard in the beginning of postproduction? And the teaser usually arrives just before? But yes... looking at the offically released material, like the underwhelming poster and the awkward official font, it's probably best to leave the teaser and trailer in the hands of someone else.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Lashana Lynch's stunt double:

jeLWVKR.jpg

Two things:

- extras were going to come back in October, but they haven't been called... Overbudget, apparently. Time to start cutting...

- It seems the filming is ending for real (next week?).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    acidie wrote: »
    So the trailer thread has closed and all the negativity moves to this one. Great 😤

2iA3w5g.png
    Everyone needs a place.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Bounine wrote: »
    If I were behind this I would want the hype to die down a little over the third rise of skywalker trailer which is supposed to be released in two days time. Therefore, I would wait until November to release the teaser presuming there is a teaser. :)
    Hype for trailers really doesn’t last that long with general audiences, so I actually think Bond could take it. Plus Star Wars isn’t exactly in everyone’s good books atm
    Doesn't the editor usually go onboard in the beginning of postproduction?
    Editor's are there from when shooting starts. Can you imagine how much work there would be if you didn't start editing till all the filming was complete? Assistant editor's need to sync the video and sound and that is done daily then the footage goes to the editors to start cutting. Depending on the director they can work with the editors throughout filming tweaking things and getting a rough cut they are quite happy with by the end of filming, or they can leave the editors to it and then in post start properly working with the editors.

Also if you didn't start editing till the end then if things aren't working you can't easily do anything about it. Editor's give the go ahead for sets to be struck when they have had the footage and know that everything works. You don't want to find that an additional shot is needed for a scene to no longer have the set.
    Penpen wrote: »
    Editor's are there from when shooting starts. Can you imagine how much work there would be if you didn't start editing till all the filming was complete? Assistant editor's need to sync the video and sound and that is done daily then the footage goes to the editors to start cutting. Depending on the director they can work with the editors throughout filming tweaking things and getting a rough cut they are quite happy with by the end of filming, or they can leave the editors to it and then in post start properly working with the editors.

Also if you didn't start editing till the end then if things aren't working you can't easily do anything about it. Editor's give the go ahead for sets to be struck when they have had the footage and know that everything works. You don't want to find that an additional shot is needed for a scene to no longer have the set.

Yep, that's is all true. The editors and their team are onboard from day 1 of filming and by the end of the shoot, or a week or two after, (depending on the amount of footage) the editor and the team will have assembled a first cut of the entire film.

Hype for trailers really doesn’t last that long with general audiences, so I actually think Bond could take it. Plus Star Wars isn’t exactly in everyone’s good books atm

I’d still just kind of want Star Wars to be a little out of the way.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 3,168
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Yep, that's is all true. The editors and their team are onboard from day 1 of filming and by the end of the shoot, or a week or two after, (depending on the amount of footage) the editor and the team will have assembled a first cut of the entire film.
    That just doesn't make sense to me. So during a 3-4 month postproduction fase, the editor is only there for the first two weeks? And final cut for NTTD is in November? What about CGI/VFX work? So basically December to April is strictly marketing?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

That just doesn't make sense to me. So during a 3-4 month postproduction fase, the editor is only there for the first two weeks?

You read that wrong.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 3,164

I’d still just kind of want Star Wars to be a little out of the way.

Exactly. And it's not just about general audiences - the press and social media will be debating/analysing/covering that trailer for days to come. Something that Bond wouldn't get, as it doesn't have the same sort of modern hyperactive fan base or geek media appeal.

As much as SW may not be in some people's good books post The Last Jedi (which it itself is extremely debatable), any content that comes out from those films will get an insane and outsized amount of coverage compared to virtually everything else...the only thing on that level today would be Marvel, followed by Nolan.

That just doesn't make sense to me. So during a 3-4 month postproduction fase, the editor is only there for the first two weeks? And final cut for NTTD is in November? What about CGI/VFX work? So basically December to April is strictly marketing?

First cut in November, not final.

And CGI/VFX will be done throughout this post production period too, together with polishing the edit down after the first assembly cut is complete. For a film like NTTD one would expect that cut to run over 3 hours...that first cut is literally everything in script order edited together
    Editor's are there almost right until the end. @ColonelSun is saying they have a first cut after a week or two. After that it will be tweaked and changed a lot, sequences will need to be trimmed, things completely cut,.... The first cut will always be much longer than the final running time of the film. I'm pretty sure VFX work will already be happening with the short turn around they appear to have for NTTD.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited October 2019 Posts: 3,497
    Minion wrote: »
    I'd bet money on October 25th being the teaser release date.
    @jamesbondlive tweets that have aged well - Nr. 849: https://twitter.com/jamesbondlive/status/1184162899389902849

At this point one can trust The Sun more than MI6-HQ.
    Are you really one to talk? Or do you want us to dig up every time you lied about finally leaving the forum for good?

I think Panchito is a fake account created by Michael & Babs to divert our attention. ;)

But, is NTTD now officially in post production or...? :-??
    This MI6 tweet also has also aged very badly...
    And?? The same could be said about countless of declarations of a lot of contributors, including yourself.

....in their defence, MI6 aren't really a 'scoops' kinda place. They offer a really valuable archive and encyclopedia for Bond. you'd struggle to find anywhere on the internet more thorough and that has over 15 years worth of Bond stories in real time.
    I agree on this one. But the question remains, where is a good ´scoops´kinda place?

boldfinger wrote: »
    I agree on this one. But the question remains, where is a good ´scoops´kinda place?

Can't be many!