Oscar Predictions- Does NTTD have a realistic chance?

edited February 2020 in General Movies & TV Posts: 698
Not sure if anyone cares too much about the Oscars, but I thought this might be a good place to discuss any predictions we may have of who may win at the Oscars. This isn't necessarily about who we want to win, but rather what is most likely to happen. Not sure if there is already a forum on Oscar predictions specifically, although I did see one on undeserving winners.

So here are mine for this year:
Best Picture: The Favourite
Best Director: Alfonso Cuarón (Roma)
Best Actor: Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
Best Actress: Glenn Close (The Wife)
Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali (Green Book)
Best Supporting Actress: Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk)
Best Original Screenplay: The Favourite
Best Adapted Screenplay: BlacKkKlansman
Best Animated Feature: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Best Original Score: Black Panther
Best Original Song: Shallow (A Star is Born)
Best Visual Effects: Avengers: Infinity War

Feel free to add anymore categories that I may have missed.

Comments

Here are the nominated songs this year, and who my favourite is :

"All the Stars" from Black Panther :

Err... No, I don't think so.

"I'll Fight" from RBG :

Strong contender, this one. Plus, I like Jennifer Hudson.

"The Place Where Lost Things Go" from Mary Poppins Returns :

I just love this one. Brings a tear to my eyes every time. It's the one I want most to win.

"Shallow" from A Star Is Born :

Lady Gaga nails it perfectly. If this song wins, I won't be disappointed. Not one bit. She'll deserve it.

"When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings" from The Ballad of Buster Scruggs :

I don't think so either.

I give you two predictions, somebody is bound to call the academy stupid because they do not listened to their personal choice and they snubbed somebody they consider a better choice.
  • Have to say I didn't expect to see Olivia Colman win best actress. Unexpected but well deserved.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Coleman winning was a genuine surprise, Olivia has been around on UK TV for some time a great achievement for her
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    Have to say I didn't expect to see Olivia Colman win best actress. Unexpected but well deserved.

Very well deserved. She’s a brilliant actress.
    Also Rami Malek has won best actor. Will we be seeing him in Bond 25?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I have a feeling Bohemian Rhapsody will get best picture
  • I wouldn't rule Black Panther out yet
    Wow Green Book
  • I definitely think Green Book deserved it
  • An excellent Oscars this year. Much better without a host I'd say. Very satisfied with the winners. Roma and Green Book the highlights!
  • The show went a lot faster without a host I would have to say. A few surprising winners, but nothing that I'm upset about.
  • I'm incredibly against that Colman win. Close should have won, it's been 7 times the Oscars have denied her :(
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    edited February 2019 Posts: 3,675
    Can someone please explain what this dude's grudge against Green Book is?

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-oscars-green-book-worst-best-picture-winner-20190224-story.html

He used way too many big words for me that it all turned into gibberish.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 677
    He should've dedicated all those words for Glenn Close's robbery.

On a more serious (actually, I am dead serious, but I digress) note: what I've understood from the detractors is that a movie about discovering racism is bad through a white man and a black man becoming friends is considered passé.

Highlight of the show for me great seeing Roger and Brian
  • I think they could have chosen any film for Best Picture this year, and there would be some form of backlash one way or the other.

Highlight of the show for me great seeing Roger and Brian

Very cool albeit a bit pedestrian in the choice of music.
    There's been a lot of talk about Avengers Endgame potentially getting nominated for Oscars. Does anyone think it's got a chance at some of the major categories? I think Downey may be a possibility for best actor.
    Nope. Not a chance. Regardless of how good it is, how well-acted it is, a genre movie will never have any chance at a major awards ceremony. After all, Logan didn't win at the Oscars, and it was a great movie in all respects.
    There's been a lot of talk about Avengers Endgame potentially getting nominated for Oscars. Does anyone think it's got a chance at some of the major categories? I think Downey may be a possibility for best actor.

I think its got a chance, though personally I think Infinity War was a better made film.

The Return of the King won best picture, when in my opinion the other two films in the trilogy were far better. Endgame could win on the basis of cinematic achievement and the cultural impact of the MCU.

• Oscar noms came in today https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/oscar-2020-nominees-joker-leads-with-11-nominations/

Pretty annoyed Joker got so many nominations, especially for director. I thought Taron Egerton and Lupita Nyong'o were snubbed. Also happy I Lost My Body got animated feature nod.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited January 2020 Posts: 1,257
    Pretty annoyed Joker got so many nominations, especially for director.

Me too. I have Greta Gerwig or Lulu Wang over Todd Phillips.
    I thought Taron Egerton and Lupita Nyong'o were snubbed.

Agreed. While I didn't love Rocket Man, I do think Egerton disappeared into the role of Elton John far more than Malek did as Freddie Mercury. And I think Lupita Nyongo was overlooked due to Us being released so early in the year. Most voters probably forgot about it.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Glad Parasite got so many nominations. It was my favourite film of 2019.
    Don't think it will win much though except Foreign Language. Agreed that Us should have at least picked up a best actress nod.
    Expecting 1917 to win film, directing and cinematography. Actor for Phoenix, actress for Zellwegger, supporting actor Pesci (wouldn't be surprised if Pitt somehow sneaks it though), supporting actress Dern (although Johansen getting double nominations may mean she ends up with this), adapted screenplay for Greta Gerwig (with possibly zallian for Irishman), hoping original screenplay for Parasite.

I think Marriage Story (which was fantastic) and Irishman will feel the wrath of the Academy because they're Netflix.
  • The dance of freedom. The death bells. The rising of the Joker.

One of the most magnificent, sublime, monumental, extraordinary scenes in cinema history, when he dances on the steps.

It is my pick for Best Picture and Actor and more. Could it equal Ben Hur and Lord of the Rings? I think so.

Watch this space for Malek nabbing a supporting nod at next year's Oscars for his role is Safin. There is already buzz.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    I think Medes is due for his second directing oscar. 1917 is quite an achivement in directing.

I hope Newman finally wins on his 15th nomination, his score for 1917 was outstanding. But i'm also really torn, because i thought the score to Joker was the best thing about the movie next to Joaquins performance.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,686
    00Agent wrote: »
    I think Medes is due for his second directing oscar. 1917 is quite an achivement in directing.

That would set the record for longest gap between successive Best Director oscar, as he last won for American Beauty exactly 20 years ago. And I definitely agree he should win, 1917 is a work of art. And I would give the Best Original Score oscar to Thomas Newman.
    I actually like the race this year after several years of being underwhelmed. I'm a bit surprised by the Joker love also, but not annoyed. I'm a champion of Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood and will be cheering it on. Haven't seen The Irishman, but would like to; it's Scorsese, so anything involved with it I will also support.
  • My picks for the winners at this years Academy Awards. I tried to do as many categories as I could. There is still a few films I haven't seen, such as Ford v Ferrari and Judy which may influence some of my picks. My picks go like this- Will Win (Should Win):
    Best Picture- 1917 (Marriage Story)
    Best Director- Sam Mendes (Mendes)
    Best Actor- Joaquin Phoenix (Adam Driver)
    Best Actress- Renee Zellweger (Saoirse Ronan)
    Best Supporting Actor- Brad Pitt (Pitt)
    Best Supporting Actress- Laura Dern (Margot Robbie)
    Best Original Screenplay- Parasite (Knives Out)
    Best Adapted Screenplay- Jojo Rabbit (Little Women)
    Best Animated Feature- Klaus (I Lost My Body)
    Best Original Song- (I’m Gonna) Love Me Again (Rocketman) (Rocketman)
    Best Original Score- Joker (1917)
    Best Cinematography- 1917 (1917)
    Best Editing- Parasite (Parasite)
    Best International Film- Parasite
    Best Visual Effects- Avengers: Endgame (Endgame)
    I am debating whether to watch the ceremony this year, UK time it runs late. I hope Phoenix wins best Actor
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I made a pretty strong effort to see every single feature, documentary, and short film that was nominated this year. Unfortunately, I ended falling short, mostly in the documentary, documentary short, and international film categories. Final tally: I've seen 40 of the 53 nominated films and shorts this year.
    I hope Phoenix wins best Actor

I think that's a certainty