Tell us a story!

Reading on a different thread about @Birdleson once having a disagreement with the one and only Charlton Heston, and him "teasing" encounters with Robert Redford and Jack Nicholson, it's obvious we need a thread to share these sort of things.

If you have any funny anecdotes, if you or someone you know have had encounters with famous people, or if you have other fun/interesting/(you name it!) things you want to share; here's the place to do so!

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I've had 2 separate encounters with a few of the members of the cast of American Graffiti

Candy Clark and Bo Hopkins

Paul Lemat
    I've had 2 separate encounters with a few of the members of the cast of American Graffiti

Candy Clark and Bo Hopkins

Paul Lemat

How did you happen to meet them, @PropertyOfALady? :-)
    They were both at car shows actually. I was about 10ish when I met Candy and Bo. Both very nice people, Candy especially. I loved her leopard pattern sunglasses.

LeMat I think was about 15. He was happy to talk about Graffiti.

I'm assuming you've seen it?
  • BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CAModerator
    That is cool @PropertyOfALady . I don't think that a lot of younger fans realize that a few years before STAR WARS George Lucas was heralded as a young phenom with AMERICAN GRAFFITI. The prevailing thought was that he would continue to make artier, more human films.
    They were both at car shows actually. I was about 10ish when I met Candy and Bo. Both very nice people, Candy especially. I loved her leopard pattern sunglasses.

Interesting! Were they guests at the car shows, or just part of the crowd?

Never watched that film unfortunately, but I'm sure I've watched them all in other stuff. Candy Clark played in David Fincher's Zodiac, if I remember correctly.
    Bad stories or just who you have met ?

I've met and chatted to Sir Roger Moore twice and Sir Michael Caine once.
    Shook hands with Robert Vaughan and talked Arsenal with George Graham.

There are more but im watching a film at the moment !

Never watched that film unfortunately, but I'm sure I've watched them all in other stuff. Candy Clark played in David Fincher's Zodiac, if I remember correctly.

They were special guests.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 14,359
    barryt007 wrote: »

I've met and chatted to Sir Roger Moore twice and Sir Michael Caine once.
    Shook hands with Robert Vaughan and talked Arsenal with George Graham.

There are more but im watching a film at the moment !

Anything that might be fun/interesting/etc., @barryt007!
    If you want to, feel free to write about these encounters. Obviously the Roger Moore ones might be of particular interest here on the forum, but you know I'd like to hear about George Graham as well! How is he like?

Should probably have guessed so, them being in the cast of American Graffiti! Did they talk about the film/Lucas, etc.? I guess nobody expected it to become the classic it became.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Will the real NTTD release date please stand up?
    Years ago, I asked some questions to Roger Moore through his website's Q&A section. After reading his answers, I decided never to wash my eyes again. I want to preserve their Mooreian splendor.

Should probably have guessed so, them being in the cast of American Graffiti! Did they talk about the film/Lucas, etc.? I guess nobody expected it to become the classic it became.

Unfortunately, I don't think I fully grasped who they quite were at the time, and so didn't ask questions. I was just happy to see them!
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Years ago, I asked some questions to Roger Moore through his website's Q&A section. After reading his answers, I decided never to wash my eyes again. I want to preserve their Mooreian splendor.

That seems like the right thing to do, @mattjoes!

Unfortunately, I don't think I fully grasped who they quite were at the time, and so didn't ask questions. I was just happy to see them!

That's understandable! Not everyday you see film stars in person.
    Graffiti is one of my favourite movies.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Robotswana

There is another thread for just sharing what celebrities you have met/talked to.
    Graffiti is one of my favourite movies.

Added to my list now! Far too many classics I've yet to watch.

There is another thread for just sharing what celebrities you have met/talked to.

I'm aware of that.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 29,633
    Jack Nicholson story.

In the late '80s I made my second move to California from the East Coast (the fourth and final time, which stuck, was in 2002). I was 25 years old and living just outside of LA (economics precluded living in the city proper) with three friends from Endicott, NY. A couple of us, Me and my friend "Donny" (his actual name is Mark, but you know how nicknames stick; he has been witness to many of my adventures over the decades, and even became a member on here for about a day, at my urging, though he knows almost nothing of Bond, as @mrwinty ) were big NBA fans. This was when the LA Lakers were almost untouchable; the classic line-up of Magic, Kareem, Byron Scott, AC and James Worthy (not to mention their beyond solid bench), coached by the legendary Pat Reilly. They still played home games at the Great Western Forum in Inglewood, CA. then, and we'd attend games as we could. After winning several NBA titles over the previous decade, they were favored to take it all again in the '87/'88 season. The Lakers, of course, made it to the Finals and (as they had the superior record) the opening game would be in LA, against the upstart Detroit Pistons (this was the team that would in itself become legendary and, though they lost the series to the Lakers, would win this opening game and go on to win the following two Titles): Isaiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, Denis Rodman, John Salley, Vinnie Johnson, Bill Laimbeer, and others. We decided to take a chance and try to get ahold of tickets through a scalping agency (obviously, the games were sold out immediately). This was before the internet, so you had to go the the ticket broker and see what they had in terms of resale. We splurged and spent $80 each for seats up in the rafters for Game 1 of the series. In 1988 (particularly for us) $80 was a huge amount to pay for even a championship game. Now-a-days I doubt that $80 would even get you in the door (to The Staple's Center) to the worst seat at even a regular season Lakers game. We were happy, and it was exciting. From our nosebleed seats we were trying to pick out the celebrities (this was LA) isn the first few rows, particularly Jack Nicholson (I'd been a fan since ether late '60s, my boyhood, and Jack was known as the "Number 1 Lakers fan", sitting court-side at near every game.

It was a great game, and when halftime came Donny and I, being who we were, decided to see how close we could to court-side. We quickly and deftly made our way down section after section by either avoiding ushers, or utilizing the tried and true method of walking like you are supposed to be going wherever you are going. Miraculously, and unimpeded, we ended up standing court-side. Here we were at one of the largest sporting events of the year, which was being broadcast worldwide to record audiences, standing in a prime spot, with no badges and no one questioning us. We were giddy, laughing at all of the famous people around us, but no Nicholson. Then Donny gets another idea; since we had come this far, why don't we try to get down into the locker rooms where ether teams were having their halftime meetings. We see the entrance to the rooms below, unbelievably unguarded, and just went for it. Walking down the underground hallway we talked about how cool it would be if we ran into Nicholson. Almost immediately after saying that, there he comes around a bend heading right for us. He had one unknown friend with him. Jack looked fat as all Hell, wearing sunglasses on this dimly lit corridor. I stepped into his path, spread my arms and yelled, "JACK!" I don't quite know how he did it, but suddenly he is behind me, without giving me a glance or a word, continuing on his way. His friend looked me in the face and laughed.
    We laugh dot and headed back up to the open arena. Everyone was rushing to their seats, as halftime was nearly over. We ended up back at court-side, squeezed into a line of VIPs. The sports announcer Pat O'Brien was stuck between us and I kept pushing him into Donny's back. We just kept looking at each other and giggling like little girls.

Eventually the game starts back up and here we are stuck out at court-side without seats, just standing there. No one seems to mind or notice. Now, when I watched games on TV, I thought of the medium-sized guys, like Magic Johnson, to be about my size, the other guards shorter and the tallest players slightly bigger. No! Being court-side it was clear that even Isaiah was massive. We stayed there for about 5 minutes, and our nerves began to cave. We went back up to our "cheap" seats and watch date rest of the game. Detroit pulled an upset, but, as I said above, the Lakers took the series.

We did see Nicholson one more time, on the side of the stage at a Neil Young concert in the early '90s at the LA Sports Arena. He was with the late actor Harry Dean Stanton, and was doing a little dance to get the crowded pumped up for the show (he was not out there for the two opening acts, Blind Melon and Stone Temple Pilots, both of who I had first heard of that very day).

Well, that's that one. Next I will tell you all about my encounter with Stephen Hawking.
    Thanks for setting this up @Torgeirtrap , I think I will move the couple of stories that I have already written up over here as well.
    @Birdleson That's neat! I knew Jack is a big Lakers fan, so that type of encounter is quite fitting! Good stuff. I look forward to more stories!
    Charlton Heston story.

I once had a disagreement with Charlton Heston (about gun control) on a radio show that I called into, but the connection on my phone went out. So I caught up with him a week later at a screening of BEN-HUR (1959) at the Egyptian Theatre in LA, and attempted to continue the argument (I had to buy his book and wait in line). He seemed totally unaware of what I was talking about, so he signed my book and dismissed me. One week later he went into rehab because of his drinking. I'm sure that there was a connection. He was the second celebrity that I sent to rehab (sportscaster Pat Summerall was the other).
    Pierce Brosnan story.

The only Bond I ever ran into was Brosnan, and it was weird. I was at The Paramount Theatre in Oakland for a Bob Dylan/Merle Haggard show. It was May of 2005 (I know this because I just checked my ticket stub collection!). It's a small venue so the celebrities had to sit with the common folk (I've been in some weird situations like this before). Bob Weir and Bill Krutzman from The Grateful Dead came in with Lars from Metallica and sat a few rows behind me (I guess that they had gone to the previous night's show together, as well), and there were other recognizable faces as well. A couple of rows ahead of me was Piecre, wearing a tam and looking nervous. I said, "Hey, James Bond", to him (in a moderate voice, not to the crowd at large). He pulled his tam down, lifted his collar and scrunched down in his seat, like he was afraid of being mobbed. Obviously, in this hippie scene, people would be way more crazy about meeting The Dead, and those guys were just acting natural and having a good time. No one was bugging anyone. It was a strange overreaction.

Another Brosnan related tale. About 10 years earlier than the story above, I was flying from LA (where I was living at the time) to New York. I started talking to a good looking woman on the flight. Turns out she was (at the time) Brosnan's personal assistant (this was pre-Bond). She had previously held that job with Meredith Baxter Birney. She did all of Pierce's scheduling and spent a lot of time taking care of family needs, as well. We hit it off pretty well and decided to go on a date when we returned to LA. We did. I soon learned why she is such a good assistant to celebrities. Nice gal, but she was boring as Hell, and that means no drama and no hero-worship, which is what celebrities want and need. We talked once or twice on the phone after that, and then drifted. Anyway, those are my Brosnan encounters.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 14,359
    Interesting stories, @Birdleson - thanks for sharing!

The Jack Nicholson encounter looks to have been an eventful one; how on earth could security be so non-existent? At least you and your friend made the most out of the $80 spent on your tickets that day!

On a side note, $80 on tickets back then must have been crazy money? I guess it's not comparable, but watching a football match here in Norway in 2018 (and I guess in several leagues elsewhere in Europe too), doesn't cost nearly as much – at least for regular seats.

Regarding the Pierce Brosnan story; did you get a sense of why he seemed nervous?
    Regarding the Pierce Brosnan story; did you get a sense of why he seemed nervous?

It seemed that he was upset that his cover was blown.
    Birdleson wrote: »

I guess that's not unusual behavior from celebrities, but the chances would be there to get recognized at a small venue. At least it looks like Brosnan enjoys other artists than just ABBA!

I guess that's not unusual behavior from celebrities, but the chances would be there to get recognized at a small venue. At least it looks like Brosnan enjoys other artists than just ABBA!

Someday I'll tell the short bit about coming across Jeff Bridges "incognito" during the filming of THE BIG LEBOWSKI.

Someday I'll tell the short bit about coming across Jeff Bridges "incognito" during the filming of THE BIG LEBOWSKI.

Please do! Was he "incognito" or you?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Will the real NTTD release date please stand up?
    Yes, keep those stories coming, @Birdleson!

Him.

Please do! Was he "incognito" or you?

Another Dylan concert. It was the Bob Dylan/Paul Simon Tour. Looking back it was '99, so filming for THE BIG LEBOWSKI had already wrapped, and I believe the film was already in release. The reason that I associate this sighting with that film is that Bridge's had the full Lebowski hair and beard, which I don't believe that he had beforehand. This was at one of my favorite venues; The Hollywood Bowl. I was with a large group of fellow teachers and I had wandered off to smoke a joint. I was sitting on a cement wall (about four feet high), and this guy comes walking in my direction (not at me, but on a path to go in front of me) with one of those Navajo blankets pulled over his head like a hood. But even with the blanket and the excessive facial hair I could tell it was Jeff Bridges (his dad had been a big star in the '50s and '60s, by the way). It was also obvious that he was trying to stay undercover. As he got within a few feet of me we made eye contact. I just smiled and said, "Oh, hey.", and nodded at him. He smiled and gave me this conspiratorial wink, as if to say "Yeah, it's me, but let's keep it a secret." I found this to be odd. Did he really think that I was about to start yelling, "My God!!! It's Jeff Bridges!!!" This was LA; celebrity sightings a dime a dozen. These people crack me up.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Robotswana
    About three decades ago, I was working in a hotel. One night the manager calls me and says the Crown Prince is on his way, and don t make any trouble.

Sure enough, shortly after the Crown Prince, who was a minor, headed into the bar to order a few drinks, with two policemen as his escort. Only the King is above the law here, but who cares right?

At the same hotel, later, the Queen was coming for dinner and the manager told the waiters to stay away as he didn t want them to mess anything up. He would serve her himself, which he did.

And forgot to give her cutlery.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    It was the Bob Dylan/Paul Simon Tour.

Oh you lucky beggar.