The Fantasy thread *Gameweek 35 deadline: Sat 27 Apr 11:00 UK time!*

Comments

• FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited December 2021 Posts: 735
    That was quite the demolition job by City! A good day for me with 19 pts from Foden and Villa's Martinez. Bernardo's absence in the second half is probably just to save him for the weekend ... or maybe it's Pep's ruthlessly competive passive/aggressive punishment for his missing a sitter. Cf. Sterling on the bench ....
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    The Overall cup has started.
    Round of 4194304 next.
    Has anyone done well in this ?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    United back in training today so hopefully will play at the weekend. Four unnamed first team players have covid.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Burnley v Watford postponed due to Covid cases in Watford squad.

Ward will come of the bench to replace Dennis for me.
    Livramento, if not injured, for me ... and that's it.

.... I was going to go for 4.2 Bachmann as my second keeper before the deadline yesterday but worried that exactly this might happen I just straight-up switched 5.0 De Gea for the 5.5 Martinez.

Hold on to your transfer(s) for as long as possible ....
    Glad I now have two playing keepers, cover is going to be needed over the next few weeks. Other than Origi my team are first team players, though it only has to be a combination of cancellations that can wreck anyone's team.
    .All my assets in tonight's games feature though no goals or assist's yet... Come on WH and Palace [-O< FPL gods don't let me down
    Leicester v Spurs tonight suspended

Man United v Brighton suspended at weekend.

There is a good chance the Premiership will be put in lockdown after tonight's game.
    .All my assets in tonight's games feature though no goals or assist's yet... Come on WH and Palace [-O< FPL gods don't let me down
    West Ham showed little in that game, unfortunately ... the squad appears shallow and Antonio hasn't scored in forever, which is frustrating. Maybe Norwich next time, assuming scheduled games go ahead. MU-Brighton has already been cancelled as has the Spurs/Leicester game today.

I have three of Chelsea and three of Liverpool in the other scheduled games for today, but apparently there's been a small Covid outbreak in the Chelsea squad so we'll see. I read James might be one of them ...
    Feyador wrote: »
    That was quite the demolition job by City! A good day for me with 19 pts from Foden and Villa's Martinez. Bernardo's absence in the second half is probably just to save him for the weekend ... or maybe it's Pep's ruthlessly competive passive/aggressive punishment for his missing a sitter. Cf. Sterling on the bench ....

I really hope so, if the few games left on the schedule are played this weekend!

Round of 4194304 next.

Haha, never! Don't think I've gone beyond five gameweeks in the cup before.
    Premier league clubs pushing for a fire break until January 5th.

Personally I think teams should keep playing where possible, in three weeks I can't see the situation changing much.

If two apposing teams have fit quads etc let them play, and just accept some games will be cancelled.

We could resume in January and still have games cancelled.
    Premier league clubs pushing for a fire break until January 5th.

Personally I think teams should keep playing where possible, in three weeks I can't see the situation changing much.

If two apposing teams have fit quads etc let them play, and just accept some games will be cancelled.

We could resume in January and still have games cancelled.

I've no idea what the right thing to do is. I'd like to see games continue where possible and maybe have them behind close doors (or at reduced capacity) which seems sensible ...

I had a good GW17 (78 pts./3441 OR) and have nine players available for GW18, assuming any or all of the games on Sunday are not postponed. With one transfer to make I'll have to wait until the deadline on Saturday and then pick from the four teams playing in that day's fixtures (Sunday's teams are too risky). But the pickings are slim among those four. All I can see to do is transfer out the disappointing Antonio (despite his promising fixtures) for Watkins. I'd been holding Antonio for one last game week as he was supposed to play Norwich, but who knows when that'll happen so I think I'll just plunk for Watkins ....
    If enough teams can play their fixtures, then I can see them keep playing. If we only have a few teams and it becomes a logistical nightmare considering the other cups and tournaments, then I can see why they'd want to have a pause. But as you point out, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, we don't know what the situation is like in a few weeks time. It might be just as bad.
    FPL is getting more difficult to play, with all the postponed games. Time will tell if we're heading into a longer break due to the current situation. But postponed games didn't stop teams in our league from managing good scores! Best of us all was FC Nostromo, scoring 78 points. Congratulations! =D>

du557bE.png
    Gameweek winners:

GW 1: Dinamo Skruknott
    GW 2: Dinamo Skruknott
    GW 3: Team Extreme
    GW 4: CFC
    GW 5: CSAC
    GW 6: The Vardy Boyz
    GW 7: Dinamo Skruknott
    GW 8: Charlton Pathetic
    GW 9: Anfield FC
    GW 10: LVLA Skopje 05
    GW 11: Dinamo Skruknott
    GW 12: 91 BlueCapitol
    GW 13: Incredible XI
    GW 14: أبو كاتم
    GW 15: CSAC
    GW 16: Team Extreme
    League table standings

1. FC Nostromo: GW 78 - TOT 1168
    2. Dinamo Skruknott: GW 70 - TOT 1112
    3. CSAC: GW 61 - TOT 1038
    4. MEJICO POWA: GW 45 - TOT 1018
    5. LVLA Skopje 05: GW 52 - TOT 988
    6. Kicked in Dias: GW 71 - TOT 986
    7. Cremonese-Killen: GW 46 - TOT 974
    8. Incredible XI: GW 60 - TOT 973
    9. ¿Pʟᴀᴛᴀ ᴏ Pʟᴏᴍᴏ?: GW 45 - TOT 964
    10. Team Extreme: GW 55 - TOT 962
    11. Tamsjoint Utd.: GW 62 - TOT 941
    12. أبو كاتم : GW 33 - TOT 938
    13. 91 BlueCapitol: GW 60 - TOT 936
    14. ThinkHeGotThe3Points: GW 75 - TOT 929
    15. The Vardy Boyz: GW 58 - TOT 924
    16. Anfield FC: GW 67 - TOT 894
    17. �: GW 50 - TOT 891
    18. Charlton Pathetic: GW 46 - TOT 887
    19. Bad gang XI: GW 42 - TOT 876
    20. Liverpool Richmond: GW 74 - TOT 874
    21. on the throne: GW 30 - TOT 826
    22. Benny's Blues: GW 53 - TOT 786
    23. Red Warriors: GW 57 - TOT 784
    24. Lucky Ducks: GW 48 - TOT 779
    25. GoldyThe Ref: GW 54 - TOT 775
    26. The Best: GW 46 - TOT 721
    27. CFC: GW 48 - TOT 669
    28. United Team: GW 46 - TOT 581
    ________

Remember the 13:30 deadline tomorrow!
    edited December 2021 Posts: 23,369
    Congratulations FC Nostromo
    ---
    I have seven players for tomorrow as it stands, seems futile making transfers to compensate. I may make one just before the deadline.

I have 2.4m in the bank which gives me options.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 17,293
    ---
    I have seven players for tomorrow as it stands, seems futile making transfers to compensate. I may make one just before the deadline.

I see a lot of people on Twitter debating taking hits or not. The argument against is that many will take hits, and by making just a single transfer, you're already four points ahead of many teams – which might be significant in a gameweek that's unlikely to be high scoring. And if you bring in a player only to cover the games that are being played, you have another transfer to make later.

On the other hand, if you can bring in a player with a decent fixture (and who's ideally an option in the gameweeks after), and that player does well, you're likely to get a good gameweek rank.

Looking at my own team, I might get eleven players without making more than one transfer, but it doesn't look like Hwang is likely to play (don't know about Bernardo Silva either). I could take a hit, but there aren't many players I 'm considering. If I can field ten players, I'll be happy.
    ---

I see a lot of people on Twitter debating taking hits or not. The argument against is that many will take hits, and by making just a single transfer, you're already four points ahead of many teams – which might be significant in a gameweek that's unlikely to be high scoring. And if you bring in a player only to cover the games that are being played, you have another transfer to make later.

On the other hand, if you can bring in a player with a decent fixture (and who's ideally an option in the gameweeks after), and that player does well, you're likely to get a good gameweek rank.

Looking at my own team, I might get eleven players without making more than one transfer, but it doesn't look like Hwang is likely to play (don't know about Bernardo Silva either). I could take a hit, but there aren't many players I 'm considering. If I can field ten players, I'll be happy.

Just made a transfer which I may have done in normal circumstances, I got rid of a underforming player that's blanking and got a player in who is playing a team that ships goals for fun. So 8 players likely to start and injured Origi which would make 9 though unlikely he will feature.

Problem taking hits is after the deadline a Sunday game could get canceled plus with games in close proximity players brought in could get rested.
    ---

Just made a transfer which I may have done in normal circumstances, I got rid of a underforming player that's blanking and got a player in who is playing a team that ships goals for fun. So 8 players likely to start and injured Origi which would make 9 though unlikely he will feature.

Problem taking hits is after the deadline a Sunday game could get canceled plus with games in close proximity players brought in could get rested.

Sounds like a good move!

Indeed. Someone pointed out on Twitter that they would only take hits for players playing today, just to be on the safe side. And unless we can be sure that the fixtures go ahead as planned, I'd be cautious of taking any risks.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia

I really hope so, if the few games left on the schedule are played this weekend!

Round of 4194304 next.

Winning the FPL or cup is nearly as hard as winning the top prize in the lottery.

Newcastle signings next month will be interesting now that they have got new oil rich owners with money to burn like Manc and chelsea.

Round of 4194304 next.

Winning the FPL or cup is nearly as hard as winning the top prize in the lottery.

Newcastle signings next month will be interesting now that they have got new oil rich owners with money to burn like Manc and chelsea.

Yes, it takes some incredible amount of luck and skill to manage winning the cup!

We have to expect bigger names rumoured to Newcastle now that they have all that money. But how appealing are they as a club?

______

2.5 hrs before game time! Thousands on route to the game are likely to be upset by this late decision.

Glad I waited, regarding FPL ... but only 8 players now. I have just enough to do Matinez to Ramsdale and maybe Antonio to Lacazette for a minus 4 and the latter as vice captain. Or maybe just Ramsdale (and vice captain).

I don't get why players aren't required to be vaxed? Up to to 20 or 25% aren't vaccinated, I think.
    Almost a million FPLers had transfered in Watkins in the past 24 hrs.

Gotta wonder if any games will (or should) go ahead now ....
    2.5 hrs before game time! Thousands on route to the game are likely to be upset by this late decision.

Glad I waited, regarding FPL ... but only 8 players now. I have just enough to do Matinez to Ramsdale and maybe Antonio to Lacazette for a minus 4 and the latter as vice captain. Or maybe just Ramsdale (and vice captain).

I'm thinking about doing the same re. Antonio and Lacazette. Watkins was also my preferred transfer in, but with this game off, Lacazette looks like the only other option to consider – or Martinelli if taking a gamble.

My vice is currently on Cancelo, but if tonight's game is indeed on, then it might not be a bad idea sticking the armband on a player we know will play - like Ramsdale.

I don't get why players aren't required to be vaxed? Up to to 20 or 25% aren't vaccinated, I think.

That's significant numbers, for sure. It only makes it worse when you consider that football is a contact sport that also involves a lot of traveling to and from games…
    Almost a million FPLers had transfered in Watkins in the past 24 hrs.

Gotta wonder if any games will (or should) go ahead now ....

Ouch! I could easily have been one of them if I was a bit faster sorting out my team this afternoon. There's obviously the chance of a double for players like Watkins, but it certainly put a lot of teams in a bad position. If this gameweek goes ahead, we're certainly looking at the possibility of the next one being postponed.
    Not surprised by another cancellation though as pointed out I feel for the fan's, Christmas is stressful enough with what's going on, I think leaving it so late to cancel is not helping anyone. I would not be surprised if on Monday all games are suspended or they have to cancel individual games quicker. Of course if the games were played behind closed doors the fans are out of the equation.

In my job I am required to have vaccinations I had my Booster 2 month's ago, regarding football players I can imagine it is a lot more complicated and it would be difficult to make it mandatory for a number of reasons. If it was made mandatory we will see some players go to another country to ply there trade where they don't have to have the vaccine.

---

In the end I sold Fornals and got Rowe in, I looked at Watkins though decided against it, too risky to take any hits as don't want to lose more ground.

Forgot about the Cup competitions, I am still in all three I qualified for.
    Not surprised by another cancellation though as pointed out I feel for the fan's, Christmas is stressful enough with what's going on, I think leaving it so late to cancel is not helping anyone. I would not be surprised if on Monday all games are suspended or they have to cancel individual games quicker. Of course if the games were played behind closed doors the fans are out of the equation.

In my job I am required to have vaccinations I had my Booster 2 month's ago, regarding football players I can imagine it is a lot more complicated and it would be difficult to make it mandatory for a number of reasons. If it was made mandatory we will see some players go to another country to ply there trade where they don't have to have the vaccine.

---

In the end I sold Fornals and got Rowe in, I looked at Watkins though decided against it, too risky to take any hits as don't want to lose more ground.

Forgot about the Cup competitions, I am still in all three I qualified for.

It's indeed very strange that they left the decision to postpone the Villa-Burnley game so late. Given the circumstances we're in, I'm not at all surprised if we'll see the PL taking measures you mention above @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, either by a break from all football, or behind closed doors games.

Very true, there are no doubt several factors that might explain the number of unvaccinated players, beyond scepticism of the vaccine itself.
    Well .... players just can't pick up and go to other countries even if they wanted to (contracts) especially if those major soccer countries elsewhere in Europe have stronger restrictions. And I doubt many would accept the pay cut if it went that far. Almost everyone wants to play in the PL.

But from what I read (and I don't have a source for this) only 68% of Prem players have been double jabbed. [It's 90% and more in other leagues and in the NFL & NBA it's near 100%.] I doubt it's even a health or ideological issue for a lot of them. They are young, healthy, strong guys who may just feel they have better things to do and don't care or don't realize or haven't been well informed/educated by their clubs, league and representatives.

Anyway, off my soapbox (and I realize Vax doesn't solve everything, to say the least, but it would help): playing cautiously I just opted for Ramsdale, 9 players and no hits ...

PS Leeds are so depleted they have a 15 year old on the bench. And if he comes on he'll be the youngest player in Leeds history, I think ....
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 17,293
    Here are the gameweek 18 captaincy picks!
    Salah: 17
    Alexander-Arnold: 2
    Watkins: 2
    Grealish: 1
    King: 1
    Fernandes: 1
    Bernardo: 1
    Jiménez: 1
    Cancelo: 1
    Foden: 1

It's a very different gameweek, with so few games being played. I see we have a few "dead" teams now too, seeing the lack of transfer activity from a few managers. A couple of managers have likely sorted out their teams before the news broke about the Villa-Burnley game, captaining Watkins. Most managers have fortunately captained players that we can expect to play this gameweek – like Salah, captained by 17 managers. Good luck everyone!