The Fantasy thread *Gameweek 37 deadline: Sat 11 May 11:00 UK time!*

Comments

• edited December 2021 Posts: 17,312
    Feyador wrote: »
    Probably not much to do before Sunday except monitor events and consider free-hitting or not. Ben Crelin and others are expecting GW22 to be a double gameweek ... and ideally, I think, we'd be using free hits in such weeks with all the doubles to come.

Indeed. There's a lot that can happen between now and Sunday, so all we can do is wait and see how things develop. I certainly won'y be making any transfers until very close to the deadline!

It would be great to be able to save the Free Hit for later, but the way it looks now it might be difficult not to use it…
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited December 2021 Posts: 735
    Current thinking:

If there are no other postponements I would have 9 players and one free transfer. So on Sunday I might transfer out (gasp!) Salah for Son. But going to De Bruyne instead of Son is also tempting, because I think City playing at home will pulverize a tired, much weakened LCFC defense ... whereas Spurs face a mostly fit Palace who are fairly strong defensively as it is. But of course the advantage of Son is that he has games in hand. And if I go for Son then bringing in Ronaldo might also be possible in GW20, but with a hit ....

Salah in the next four GWs:
    GW19: Blank
    GW20: Leicester away
    GW21: Chelsea away
    GW22+23: Blanks at AFCON
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Current thinking:

If there are no other postponements I would have 9 players and one free transfer. So on Sunday I might transfer out (gasp!) Salah for Son. But going to De Bruyne instead of Son is also tempting, because I think City playing at home will pulverize a tired, much weakened LCFC defense ... whereas Spurs face a mostly fit Palace who are fairly strong defensively as it is. But of course the advantage of Son is that he has games in hand. And if I go for Son then bringing in Ronaldo might also be possible in GW20, but with a hit ....

Salah in the next four GWs:
    GW19: Blank
    GW20: Leicester away
    GW21: Chelsea away
    GW22+23: Blanks at AFCON

I am seriously thinking of selling Salah and bringing in Ronaldo for a hit though will wait to see what happens over the next two days.
    Another game postponed!

Really don't know what to do. The more I look at it, the more I'm tempted by playing the free hit, but if no other game is postponed, I might be able to field a complete starting eleven with a -4. The issue is the potential upside of, and the amount of managers playing the Free Hit this gameweek…
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Another game postponed!

Really don't know what to do. The more I look at it, the more I'm tempted by playing the free hit, but if no other game is postponed, I might be able to field a complete starting eleven with a -4. The issue is the potential upside of, and the amount of managers playing the Free Hit this gameweek…

No players for me in that game so as it stands I can field 9 players, though if players are rested I am in trouble. Will make an effort to get early team news close to the deadline then decide what to do, in the meantime I will look at a potential Free hit Team ready to select if needed.
    Another game postponed!

The same ... undecided.

Ronaldo is the popular FH choice for captain, so might be a necessary defensive pick from my currently cautious playing style ... and to free hit now also means keeping Salah against LCFC in GW20. But I think LCFC might be the next team to cause a postponement ... so, all & all, still waiting 'til Sunday.
    Regarding Ronny everyone is likely to get him in and a brace or more is very possible vs Newcastle, my only worry is setting up a team too early for another game to be cancelled, though after the deadline it will be way out of our hands.

Amazon Prime Video wont be happy they bought all ten Premier League Boxing day week fixtures in the UK and the games are dropping like ducks.
    Another game postponed!

No players for me in that game so as it stands I can field 9 players, though if players are rested I am in trouble. Will make an effort to get early team news close to the deadline then decide what to do, in the meantime I will look at a potential Free hit Team ready to select if needed.

Yes, rested players is another factor, and with a lot of games to be played we have to expect rotation…
    I'm looking at various Free Hit teams as well, but haven't given it much thought yet.
    Another game postponed!

The same ... undecided.

Ronaldo is the popular FH choice for captain, so might be a necessary defensive pick from my currently cautious playing style ... and to free hit now also means keeping Salah against LCFC in GW20. But I think LCFC might be the next team to cause a postponement ... so, all & all, still waiting 'til Sunday.

From what I've seen on Twitter and elsewhere, it's either Son or Ronaldo for most managers, both for those on a Free Hit and those that will transfer out Salah. I can get a decent team with either Son or Ronaldo, but both is impossible. Leaving it late to make a decision anyway.
    Regarding Ronny everyone is likely to get him in and a brace or more is very possible vs Newcastle, my only worry is setting up a team too early for another game to be cancelled, though after the deadline it will be way out of our hands.

Amazon Prime Video wont be happy they bought all ten Premier League Boxing day week fixtures in the UK and the games are dropping like ducks.

My biggest concern bringing in Ronaldo is the fact that the Newcastle-United game is the day after the other games. The way things are right now, a lot can happen in one day…

I forgot about the Amazon thing ... so maybe added pressure not to postpone a game with a showcase team like MCFC.

I'm leaning to taking a -4 to have at least 11 active players for GW19. But I expect more games to be cancelled ... so who knows. I'll have a potential free hit team ready just in case ... and will go either way about 30 mins from deadline. No pressure, ha! If even one more significant game is canceled it may not be worth free hitting but instead save the 2 chips for double GWs. I think the United game is most likely going to be played ...

I forgot about the Amazon thing ... so maybe added pressure not to postpone a game with a showcase team like MCFC.

I'm leaning to taking a -4 to have at least 11 active players for GW19. But I expect more games to be cancelled ... so who knows. I'll have a potential free hit team ready just in case ... and will go either way about 30 mins from deadline. No pressure, ha! If even one more significant game is canceled it may not be worth free hitting but instead save the 2 chips for double GWs. I think the United game is most likely going to be played ...

* Not that future Double GWs are definitely going to be free of postponements, of course ...

I think this is the way to approach gameweek 19. Take a hit or two if that is enough to get a decent team, or plan a Free Hit if more transfers are needed.

:))
    Hah, Benitez and the glasses! :))
    Merry Christmas fellow FPL managers, hope you have a good GW though less points than me [-O<
    Merry Christmas fellow FPL managers, hope you have a good GW though less points than me [-O<

Hahaha! Merry Christmas @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, and to all our fellow Back of the net! FPL managers!

Hahaha! Merry Christmas @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, and to all our fellow Back of the net! FPL managers!

Merry Xmas my fellow FPLers and/or Bond fans!
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,355

Merry Christmas my fellow managers. :)>-
    Hopefully we get some nice games tomorrow.
    8 players available in my squad at the moment.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 23,459
    Still not sure what I will do with my team, leaning toward a double transfer which includes a - 4. I really want to save my Free Hits when more points are up for grabs.

---

P.s. I got my wires crossed the Amazon Prime games are not today but the midweek games.

---

Made my Transfers I sold Salah and Antonio and thankfully had exactly enough money to bring in Son and Ronaldo.

So I have a starting 11 as things stand, hopefully Pep Roulette does not hurt my team.

vBZ18mm.png

If there are changes before the deadline I can activate a Free Hit in an emergency situation.
    That team looks strong @Fire_and_Ice_Returns ! Still undecided what to do myself. I got two tabs up right now; a -4 team which will hopefully give me a starting eleven, and a Free Hit team. Minutes to decide now!
    That team looks strong @Fire_and_Ice_Returns ! Still undecided what to do myself. I got two tabs up right now; a -4 team which will hopefully give me a starting eleven, and a Free Hit team. Minutes to decide now!

I am hoping that players will be rested midweek and not today, Pep should go strong today especially as Leicester beat city at home last season.

I am hoping that players will be rested midweek and not today, Pep should go strong today especially as Leicester beat city at home last season.

I hope so too! Made a -4 15 minutes before the deadline just to be sure, but decided I wanted to Free Hit instead – but the site went down just as I hit the button – so no FH for me! Really annoying, as I had finally settled on a plan going forward.
    Was planning to free hit but instead took a minus 8 at the last minute (literally) ...

I hope so too! Made a -4 15 minutes before the deadline just to be sure, but decided I wanted to Free Hit instead – but the site went down just as I hit the button – so no FH for me! Really annoying, as I had finally settled on a plan going forward.

Just watching Lets Talk FPL, Andy did exactly what you did missed the deadline.
    Was planning to free hit but instead took a minus 8 at the last minute (literally) ...

Did you experience any trouble with the site, @Feyador?

Yes, I had his stream up as I did my final decisions. So, so frustrating!
    I think with so many Double Game weeks down the line that extra Free Hit will come in handy.

Was going to free-hit with Son, Ronaldo, De Bruyne & Kane et al ... but it didn't go through at one minute to the deadline, haha ... oh, well Serves me right, I guess!

PS If it's not too complicated can someone tell me how to include an image? Just pasting a URL doesn't seem to work for me ... thanks.

FPL Twitter seemed fairly convinced before I went to sleep last night (over here in North America) that the Spurs/Palace game would be postponed today ... so I woke up an hour before the deadline and attempted to re-configure my planned free-hit team. I don't even remember now who I transferred out for Bowen, haha. But I did bring in Ronaldo for Dennis (I think?) and Martinelli for Salah. But Salah seems like the obvious captain pick next GW so what to do now, free-hit in GW20? Embrace the chaos ... I guess.
    I think with so many Double Game weeks down the line that extra Free Hit will come in handy.

It no doubt will. I was 50/50 to play it or not, but in the end I found it marginally easier to navigate the upcoming gameweeks playing it now. So if the chip somehow wasn't magically played even though I got an error message, I will have to come up with another plan for the next gameweek.

Was going to free-hit with Son, Ronaldo, De Bruyne & Kane et al ... but it didn't go through at one minute to the deadline, haha ... oh, well Serves me right, I guess!

PS If it's not too complicated can someone tell me how to include an image? Just pasting a URL doesn't seem to work for me ... thanks.

Hah, same players were all in my would-be FH team too!

To post an image, paste the URL in the "Image URL" field that pops up when you push the image tab to the left of the text align buttons. :-)

FPL Twitter seemed fairly convinced before I went to sleep last night (over here in North America) that the Spurs/Palace game would be postponed today ... so I woke up an hour before the deadline and attempted to re-configure my planned free-hit team. I don't even remember now who I transferred out for Bowen, haha. But I did bring in Ronaldo for Dennis (I think?) and Martinelli for Salah. But Salah seems like the obvious captain pick next GW so what to do now, free-hit in GW20? Embrace the chaos ... I guess.

It looked almost certain that the Sp*rs-Palace game was a doubt, then news came in earlier today that it was on. I had made my FH drafts without Sp*rs players, so I had to make some quick adjustments after the news broke.

I have the same issue re. Salah. I will either transfer him back for a -4 (far from ideal, but a possibility) or try and navigate next gameweek by captaining someone else, just hoping Salah won't do too much damage…
    Foden, Grealish and Antonio benched. I thought Pep would do that and I am surprised Antonio is in the squad I thought he had Covid.

Dam Smith Rowe benched again, hopefully he will come on and score like the last game.
    Foden, Grealish and Antonio benched. I thought Pep would do that and I am surprised Antonio is in the squad I thought he had Covid.

Dam Smith Rowe benched again, hopefully he will come on and score like the last game.

Of these players I only own Foden, though I did consider Smith-Rowe as an option to Martinelli. Decided to gamble that Martinelli had shown Arteta enough to start yet again. Smith-Rowe will very likely come on though.

Foden is a big issue in my team now. Do I transfer him out? Keep him? It's tempting to bring back Salah for a -4 with Foden making way.